A must read story! A non-scale victory! With pics

Options
jpolczak
jpolczak Posts: 15 Member
This is terribly embarrassing for me. I just wanted to let you know that what you weigh isn’t everything. The picture on the left is three months after my first 5k (12/25/10). The picture on the right is from last Saturday (2/2/13). I weigh about the same in both pictures. In the picture on the left all of my clothing is skin tight. In the picture on the right I am wearing 4 layers including a sweatshirt and a tutu. I have a hard time seeing what I accomplish because I am always staring at the scale. I want to inspire you all too just keep trying! Because even if you may not see the numbers you want if you just keep trying one day you might be surprised.

Sidebyside_zpsf8f61907.jpg

I haven’t consistently run for two years. I would give up because I was so sore all of the time. I didn’t see any weight loss. Then went a month without running, and had to start all over again and again and again. I felt so frustrated! About 3 weeks ago I went to the doctor. I asked the doctor in tears why I can’t lose weight I work so hard. She said lets test your thyroid, and I asked her what happens when it comes back normal. She said we will just try it and see what happens. Yes it did come back normal. I know I have a race that I need to train for so I can’t just stop because my feelings are hurt. Last night the kids were looking threw some old pictures and I saw myself from 2 years ago. Tears just started running down my face. This picture isn’t even me at my heaviest. It was a picture after months of training for my first 5k. For the first time I saw what my hard work had done.

I wish everyone would read this so they don’t have to feel like I did for so long. Changing your life is such a mental game. When you think you are heavy you hide from the camera, don’t go shopping and you dress to hide your body. How do you see the difference if you always wear yoga pants and a baggy sweatshirt? Or if you never let people take pictures of you. Even when you do lose size your brain tells you that you are fat. I seriously didn’t have a clue! I so badly want to help people from feeling like I did! I think I might just repost the story so it can reach more people. Love you all! I love that we can give positive motivation to one another, and change lives together.

Replies

• AnnaKeck
    AnnaKeck Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! I'm so glad you shared this story, I have run into the same thing where the scale keeps giving me the same number no matter how hard I work to exercise and eat right. It can get SO frustrating. But then you look at other things, like how your clothes fit, the tone of muscle, and just overall health (like being able to run faster, run longer, lift heavier, etc.). Your story is a great reminder for us to look at the whole picture and not just focus on the scale. Thanks for sharing!!
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I don't have pictures but I have measurements. I was looking at measurements from 10 years ago and realized that the reason why I'm in smaller sized clothes has more to do with the smaller me than weight lost. That hasn't happened or doesn't seem to be happening. It is so hard sometimes if we use only the scale to measure our success.
  • starfish1783
    Options
    You look amazing! It's such an inspiring story and I hope one day I have one to tell as well. :smile:

By the way - i LOVE your tutu! And your smile is just priceless! You look like you're having SO much fun. Congrats! :flowerforyou:
  • TetesLorraine
    TetesLorraine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Amazing Transformation!
    Chuck the scale! :) You have done GREAT!
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Mzfoster0517
    Mzfoster0517 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes, the number on the scale isn't always an indicator of weight loss, but clothing generally is. Your doing a great job!!!!!
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Wow~ huge difference your doing a great nob! :) Congrats
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Awsome story, thank you so much for sharing! And you look great!!
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    What a beautiful story, and so encouraging. Thank you for sharing!! So proud of you.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    very touching story - thank you!
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You look great! Don't give up, keep going. It's a struggle to get where you want to be healthy like you want. But it is so worth it. And, it gets easier the longer you stick to it.
  • nnoifeld
    nnoifeld Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanks for this reminder. It's sooo hard to accept, but it's true! I'm the same way, I weigh myself religiously only to be dissapointed because the weight doesn't melt off for me, like it does for some people. I also went to the doctor and had everything tested, just so that I could put the blame somewhere for me not losing weight! Just like you, my tests came back normal. However, everyone has just started telling me how much of a difference they can see in me. And surprise, surprise, I just happened to look at pictures of myself from a few years back and HOLY COW can I actually see what they see! Not much in the weight loss department, but huge for my body image! Sometimes pictures and inches lost can be a better gauge than the scale.
  • punkinkat
    punkinkat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this... really. I've been struggling with motivation issues as well, and your story is inspiring.

You look fabulous :)
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Awesome story!!! I'm glad you posted so others can be inspired and you can get the positive feedback you worked so hard to earn!

Right on!!!!
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've helped someone with your story...it's not all about the scale!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    that was really great you saying about the scale being almost the same but you clearly are not. congrats! and thanks for making that point crystal clear with a pic.
  • szonjakun
    szonjakun Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story and pictures! You look great!
    I'm in the same situation. I've been working out 6 times a week for almost a year now. In the first 5 months I lost half of the weight I wanted to, and in July my weightloss stopped. Everytime I step on the scale I see the SAME number (and no, it's not broken).
    I'm really dissapointed, that no matter how hard I try it seems impossible to loose weight.
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Great story and an even more awesome attitude!!! Don't give up! I have a sign up at my desk that reads: "Frustation breeds MOTIVATION" Stay motivated and throw that scale out of the window :laugh:
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    Awesome story! Thanks for the motivation!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!