hungry after 4 hours!!

Options
So I have been working closely with my nutritionist on getting used to 3 square meals a day. hard work but well worth it.
I have noticed that after about 3 hours i start getting 'munchy' and anfter about 4 and a half ish i get really hungry! and eating anything that close to a meal usually makes my stomach really upset (given the current issues and what not) and i have to wait until dinner time to eat to 'be ok'
does this happen to anyone else? any suggestions??

Replies

• aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert, so I would discuss this with your nutritionist.... but make sure you have a lot of fiber in your diet, it keeps you feeling fuller. Also drink lots and lots of water, it helps with the muchies. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert either but if you are getting hungy---eat. Even if it's a banana or a handful of nuts. Something.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Why not eat 6 meals a day rather than the 3 you are referring too? It is known to be healthier to eat smaller portions, but more frequently, spreading out your calories and thus you energy. Hunger shouldn't be an issue, so I hope you will discuss this with your nutritionist.
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    Are you snacking at all in between the meals? It is usually recommended that you eat up too 6 times a day, whether it be 3 meals and snacks, or 6 "mini" meals or some variation there of.
  • krislew
    krislew Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that it takes 4 hours for you stomach to empty after eating a meal...so to answer your question I looked it up on Google and found this:

How long does it take your stomach to empty?

If all you ate was melon, about 10 minutes.
    Most raw fruits take 30 minutes.
    Bananas take one hour.
    Starches take at least an hour or two.
    Meat takes 3 to 4 hours.

So if this is true that is why you are hungry after 4 hours and that is why snacks are appropriate to get you through the day!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating only 3 meals a day? Are you trying to gain weight?
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I AM ALWAYS HUNGRY.. I eat probably every two to threre hours.... SOUNDS INSANE.. after the "three square meals" a day werent' working I talked to my dr and he gave me healthy options to eat throughout the day.. also I eal Light whole grain breads and lots of frutis and veggies now... to add with whatver protein I am eating... Just a suggestion but talk to your dr. .especially if your active or have an active job. :) u need fuel to keep going :)
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have always heard that it takes 4 hours for you stomach to empty after eating a meal...so to answer your question I looked it up on Google and found this:

How long does it take your stomach to empty?

If all you ate was melon, about 10 minutes.
    Most raw fruits take 30 minutes.
    Bananas take one hour.
    Starches take at least an hour or two.
    Meat takes 3 to 4 hours.

So if this is true that is why you are hungry after 4 hours and that is why snacks are appropriate to get you through the day!
    Great way to explain it. I eat off and on throughout the day. When I am hungry, I snakc and I try to make sure to always have healthy, low calorie snacks on hand. It seems to keep my metabolism higher. My sister always gets mad because I eat more than her and lose weight. I think it is the snacks in between. Hopefully, if the snack is smal enough and a large enough gap between snack and meal, it would not upset your stomach.
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    I agree that eating several small meals instead of only 3 might be more beneficial. Hunger is your bodies way of telling you it needs more fuel. When you ignore it, it assumes food isn't available and can put you into starvation mode. When you then eat a large meal, it will want to hang on to every piece of it and start storing it as fat. I eat every 2-3 hours, 3 small meals and 3 snacks.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I never used to be a snacker, and used to eat 3 (large) meals per day. Since joining MFP, I have still been eating my 3 meals, but with considerably fewer calories in each, with snacks in between. The total calorie count for all my snacks combined is equivalent to one of my meals. I have not been hungry eating this way AND I've lost weight. Talk to your nutritionist about eating more frequent, smaller meals instead and see if it works for you.
  • Trish02
    Trish02 Posts: 25
    Options
    I too was doing the 3 meals a day thing and found myself putting my body in starvation mode and when I ate I didnt feel like doing anything and felt guilty of what I did eat. My body started wanting things I shouldnt eat. What I found out to be true is if you eat at least every 4 hours/6 small meals a day you will be more successful in fighting the unwanted temptation more and be less guilty about it. And do drink your water constantly that helps too. :drinker:
  • bjstrong
    bjstrong Posts: 11
    Options
    If you have the proper amount of portein than your body is only desigend to go 3 hours without food again. You have to find a way to avoid being hungry because you are more like to stray off the path. I have breakfast and 2 small lunches, then dinner. It normally leaves me enough to have a great dinner and possibly a snack before bed.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I eat 3 square meals a day. I usually go for about 5 hours between meals. I get hungry after about 3 hours. I usually just acknowledge the feeling of hunger, tell my self that I will eat soon and move on with work or whatever else I might be doing. I usually drink a glass of ice cold seltzer with lots of lemon and it helps.
  • LaTerri
    LaTerri Posts: 42
    Options
    Why can't you eat smaller portions 6 times a day. Can you eat a meal, drink a protein shake, eat a meal, drink a shake, eat a meal, drink a shake?

I get hungry about every 3 hours or less. I listen to my body and eat often. I am also eating a low carb / high protein program right now, so I need to eat more frequently to succeed.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Why can't you eat smaller portions 6 times a day. Can you eat a meal, drink a protein shake, eat a meal, drink a shake, eat a meal, drink a shake?

I get hungry about every 3 hours or less. I listen to my body and eat often. I am also eating a low carb / high protein program right now, so I need to eat more frequently to succeed.

I don't know why the OP has to eat only 3 square meals a day, but I personally feel better on 3 meals rather than 6. A couple of years ago I had a really bad stomach virus and I am afraid it left lasting damage to my digestion. Now i have to wait until my stomack is completely empty before eating again, otherwise I feel very heavy and sluggish and need to take a nap.