CAMPING Food

124»

Replies

• JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    bump

I subsist almost entirely on jerky, cereal and apples when I camp so I have nothing to add, but will keep many of these suggestions in mind for this month's trip to Joshua Tree
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    The Reynolds Wrap site is helpful for ideas about tinfoil packet cooking (for people, like me, who are dubious about such an endeavor.)

Even in the summer, it's COLD camping on the north coast, so I tend to plan for hot food at least two meals a day.

I make lentil and barley stew (freeze in ziplock bags & use it as ice). Egg breakfasts (or oatmeal, or pancakes...depending on how many of us are at a site. Pancakes are more of a "camping alone" breakfast.) Spaghetti (either frzn or instant sauce), veggie kebobs. I wrap peeled bananas in tinfoil with a little brown sugar and some walnuts for a tasty hot dessert. Also, cored apples with a little cinnamon sugar cooked on the coals makes a tasty treat, either that night, or in oatmeal in the morning.

We car camp, and bring a solar oven, and beans/lentils/stew/soup/breads can cook well that way all day without supervision...
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    I agree with the burritos!
  • How about chili dogs? They're easy enough to make, basically just hot dogs with a few extras on top, and kids love them. I've used this recipe before -- http://www.campingrecipes.co/recipes/15-quick-and-messy-chilli-dogs
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Just wanted to say thanks to eveyone that gave me ideas. Leaving within the hour to go camping. Got burrito fixings and am going to try some tin foil pockets for meals and desserts. Love the baked apple and banana with walnuts ideas.
    I cut up plenty of veg and made some fresh hummus, full of garlic to keep the bugs away. Hopefully the bears too.
    Thanks again, I will be reffering to this for ideas for my next trip as well.
    Hope it is sunny everywhere this weekend,
    Happy trails,
    Shel
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I've never understood camping. Work all year to support yourself and then take a week off to pretend to be homeless?????

I have done both. Camping is only remotely like being homeless when it is raining.