How do you keep going?

Melis25Fit
Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So I've got a situation. That happens to me ALOT. I'm on the treadmill, or elliptical, usually around 15-20 mins, when boredom strikes, and I want to do ANYTHING but be on that machine. And I try to excite myself with new music or watching tv or even just staring at one particular spot . That usually can get me through another ten mins. I have not been on a machine for longer than a half hour because I give in to boredom. How do I stop giving in, and keep going. I know I gotta keep fighting... but does anyone else ever feel like this, and if so, what do you do?!

Replies

• hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Try interval training to up the intensity and go for shorter periods of time.

Or, find another exercise or activity that you actually enjoy.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I plan my day's meals around my exercise because I work out at night and believe I should at most, if not all of my exercise calories. So when I go to work out, I literally HAVE to put in whatever I logged for that day to not be over. Also, great music (Justin Timberlake, Lenny Kravitz, Lady Gaga, Family Force 5, some motown) keeps me going...and just knowing that this is WORKING for me. Working out and eating right is giving me results... so that pushes me forward. I try to watch the other women work out and just think about how they're doing and how we're all on this strange journey...and I also like to picture myself on the elliptical at my goal weight and know that I WILL get there.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

Well said I was going to post something similar.

If you can't go longer, try changing machines instead. Or just increase the intensity and go for 20-25 minutes, at high intensity you will not get bored only tired.
  • fowlmeli1093
    fowlmeli1093 Posts: 199
    I am totally one of those people! I do not like treadmills, elypticals, or any machines that you have to perform a running or walking motion without going anywhere....I get so bored. I run or walk outside..at least the scenery changes...
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    When I had my Gazelle, I would record a 1 hour TV show that I LOVED just to watch while I worked out. Something like Survivor, where there is a reason to watch to the very end of that particular episode.

Sigh, I miss my Gazelle, my ability to record TV shows AND the time I had before kids to accomplish this :wink:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member

Bingo. You can do high intensity intervals on cardio equipment, with incorporating sprints while running outside or with bodyweight exercises. Work more intensely for shorter durations and get less bored!

And I like to do my running outside in the fresh air. For intervals, I prefer to do bodyweight exercises in quick succession to get the heart pumping. Gives an amazing cardio workout while keeping my mind focused so the time goes by quickly.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    I read, watch TV and listen to music! I also break my workouts up into 30 minute sessions to avoid the boredom.
  • knowkeys
    knowkeys Posts: 28 Member
    If you can workout outside, set yourself a goal to run in one direction for 20 minutes. It will take 20 minutes to get back. Increase distance as stamina increased.

I know it is stating the obvious, but you get fresh air and a change of scenery.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    I get bored as well. I used to be able to go for hours on the treadmill. Now, I can't. I just go outside.

TV is the best.... well, good luck because I just recommend going outdoors!! :)
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    I can't do exercises for very long that simulate something that should have motion like a treadmill or a stationary bike. It goes against the laws of nature, I'm sure! I just don't see the point. Try doing the real thing outside. The difference is a lot bigger on a bike because you get air flowing all around you that you don't get in a gym.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    If you can put a movie on. Also set a goal for the session with mixing up speeds or inclines. I try and beat my current 5k time each time and since my current one is around 42 minutes that plus a cool down will last me for 45 minutes. I am a very competitve person so I have started competing with myself.
  • Dreaj79
    Dreaj79 Posts: 212
    I downloaded podcasts. I listen to Jillian michaels. All she talks about is health and wellness and she has some interesting tips too. I also have coffee break French downloaded. Jillian lasts about an hour and the French lessons last about 15 min each. So I switch back and forth during my workouts. BTW, both of these are free on iTunes.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I can do up to 55 minutes on the elliptical without getting bored. It used to be so much harder, but then I realized I bought a expensive iPod for a reason... lol. Music wasn't entertaining enough, so I put the miniseries From The Earth To The Moon (about manned space flight from Gemini to Apollo in 12 episodes) on my iPod and i've been watching them one at a time for over a month now. Each one is between 45-55 minutes so it works out great. I have a few movies on my iPod as well that I've watched over the course of a few workouts (of course Apollo 13 is one of them). The 45-55 minutes goes by super fast!
  • :tongue: I read all my favorite magazines - junk like Cosmo, Glamour, and US Weekly
  • sslopez24
    sslopez24 Posts: 110 Member

Well said I was going to post something similar.

If you can't go longer, try changing machines instead. Or just increase the intensity and go for 20-25 minutes, at high intensity you will not get bored only tired.

I agree.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    I plan my day's meals around my exercise because I work out at night and believe I should at most, if not all of my exercise calories. So when I go to work out, I literally HAVE to put in whatever I logged for that day to not be over. Also, great music (Justin Timberlake, Lenny Kravitz, Lady Gaga, Family Force 5, some motown) keeps me going...and just knowing that this is WORKING for me. Working out and eating right is giving me results... so that pushes me forward. I try to watch the other women work out and just think about how they're doing and how we're all on this strange journey...and I also like to picture myself on the elliptical at my goal weight and know that I WILL get there.

I do the same thing! When I hit a plateau of boredom I just think of my calorie count for the day.
    Circuit training is another great way to fight boredom.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    For me... sometimes the treadmill is the only thing that I CAN do for exercise on any particular day... so I play a game with myself. I've found that there is usually a threshold that I need to cross in order to feel like I can go forever... that's usually at about 30 minutes.
    I start out by saying, "I promise I'll do 25 minutes." When I get close to 25 minutes, I look at the "miles" and make a deal with myself to get to the next mile marker. Then I promise myself to get to 45 minutes and then the next song on my IPOD... and before I know it, I've walked/jogged (more walk at this point) for an hour or more.
    I've also been known to pick a song that I have on my IPOD and hit "shuffle" and not allow myself to get off until it plays.... I have a lot of music on my IPOD.

But honestly? I LOVE my time on my treadmill - most of the time. It gives me an opportunity to "zone out" of life. I can get completely in my own head and not worry about anything else going on around me. If I didn't like it that much - I'd find something else to do.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I tell ya, I friggin hate traditional machine cardio. I try to avoid it at all costs except when I run a mile to warm up (which I do with great music).

Maybe it is time to switch to something more interesting, like weight training! You won't be bored if you have a good hard workout routine, I can promise you that!
  • I have that same problem. I just try to either focus on the TV or my music and zone everything else out.
This discussion has been closed.