Diabetic Diet: Suggestions Needed

Options
I have a friend that is having a hard time with diabetes. She is trying to adjust her diet and needs some suggestions. The doctor would like for her daily goal of carbs to be around 100 grams. She is new to MFP and has changed her diary to count carbs so I know this will help her. Do you guys have any food/recipe suggestions that would help her?

Replies

• oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    my daughter and i both are diabetic and we use diabetic living magazine. great for recipes and carbs. you can check it out on the net. they have great ideas:laugh:
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Any chance she would join MFP? There are plenty of support groups on here for diabetes. Please feel free to add me as a friend and/or message me anytime!

I was recently diagnosed with type 2. It's been a big adjustment on carb counting and whatnot, but it gets better. Is she spreading out her carb intake over the course of the day? Has her doctor referred her to a nutritionist as part of diabetes management?

I would start with looking up low glycemic recipes. I think the south beach diet along with a few others are based on this. Your friend should eliminate the simple carbs as much as possible (white flour/breads, pastas, rice) and switch over the complex carbs (steel cut oatmeal, brown rice, couscous, veggies, etc). Recipes for "clean eating" will help too. Get rid of the fast food, processed/frozen meals, chemicals, etc as much as possible. Also sauces, dressings, and condiments will need to be considered. The carbs in those could really sneak up! I'm on a low salt diet as well. I have to be careful with it all.

An ideal meal would be a serving of lean protein (grilled chicken) and maybe a vegetable or two. BTW - Potatoes and corn are yummy, but they are still starchy... high carb count!

www.dlifetv.com has recipes and stuff for diabetics. The stuff looks pretty good actually! There's videos and everything.