What's for your protein breakfast?

Options
Hi guys

I've heard that having protein for breakfast is better than having carbs. I currently just have plain porridge for breakie, so please let me know what you have to start you off for the day!

PS - I am worried that if I just have protein for breakfast, I will not have any energy for my 2 hour cardio and weights sessions in the gym - please dispell this myth?!!

:)

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My two go-to breakfasts are -

2-3 eggs (fried in coconut oil)
    sourdough toast with butter
    banana, orange or grapefruit
    black coffee

OR

Steel cut oats
    plain Greek yogurt
    fresh blueberries (or strawberries, banana, peach, whatever fresh fruit I have)
    walnuts
    honey
    cinnamon
    black coffee

Both give me protein and carbs and are very satisfying.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which is better for you.

If I have carbs for my first meal it does tend to make more hungry throughout the day.

I tend to just do a piece of chicken and steamed broccoli. If it's a day that I train I throw some sweet potatoes on there too.
  • hidensee
    hidensee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think the ideal is to have both carbs for urgent energy and protein for the staying power. So get both , egg and whole grain toast, whole grain cereal and milk , yogurt and fruit, You get the idea.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If I was to go to the gym of a morning I'd go for either option mentioned above although I can't always stomach eggs first thing.

I think on the subject of protein it is a very individual thing. I need lots of protein in my diet even though I'm not very active but I find a small amount of carbs with it helps which is why the combos above are ideal.
  • RGPargy
    RGPargy Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thank you :-). I am low carbing at the mo too (I also think I have wheat issues lol) so can't eat bread. I like the sound of yoghurt and berries. Whenever I hear of protein for breakfast I always think people mean bacon, eggs etc but of course that's just silly lol.

So if I were to have my normal oats so simple porridge sachet followed by a handful of almonds, is this ok or do I really need to protein it up? On non-double workout days I am happy to have the Greek yoghurt but I do need something with staying power on the days I do two back to back classes or when I go on a fitness weekender.
  • jmarvel72
    Options
    I have been doing 2-3 hour cardio at the gym for the past month-every morning. I do a protein bar-I look for one with about 20 grams protein and under 250 calories and under 7 grams of fat...or my other go to is greek yogurt, low fat granola (make sure you check the serving size) and some fresh berries. Both will have some carbs but the protein will keep you fuller longer.
    Good luck!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Thank you :-). I am low carbing at the mo too (I also think I have wheat issues lol) so can't eat bread. I like the sound of yoghurt and berries. Whenever I hear of protein for breakfast I always think people mean bacon, eggs etc but of course that's just silly lol.

So if I were to have my normal oats so simple porridge sachet followed by a handful of almonds, is this ok or do I really need to protein it up? On non-double workout days I am happy to have the Greek yoghurt but I do need something with staying power on the days I do two back to back classes or when I go on a fitness weekender.

I'm not sure that you understand what carbs are.

Berries are a fruit so they're quite high in carbs

Why are bacon and eggs silly?

Oats are a grain so they're high carbs.

HIgh protein foods would be steak, eggs, chicken, salmon, pork, etc.,

Almonds have protein but they're not a complete protein
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Generally whatever was left over from dinner last night... either chicken or ground beef.
  • verbalriot
    Options
    Greek yogurt (tons of protein) + banana + a bit of cereal/homemade granola. Works like a charm.
  • miniosiris
    Options
    My current breakfast is 1 Quorn sausage, 1 large egg scrambled in the microwave and 5g of low salt/sugar brown sauce. If I pre cook the sausages and store in the fridge I can prepare it all in 2 minutes. 166 calories, 8g carbs, 9g fats and 13g protein. That's less calories than my previous cereal breakfast, a quarter of the carbs and it keeps me satisfied for longer.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Eggs (protein) Bacon (fat) Bagel (carbs) Perfect macros
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    4 egg whites, veggie sausage and cheese + a slice of low-carb hi-protein bread with Earth Balance = 44 grams of protein! :wink:
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I go with kashi go lean berry crunch (9G protein per serving) + unsweetend almond milk + protein powder. Usually get 20+ g

Or overnight oats with berries, greek yogurt, almond milk
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I scramble 1 omega egg with with 4 egg whites (not omega) together with various veggies (typically onions, sweet peppers, spinach).
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Vega one protein powder blending into my breakfast smoothie :)
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    3 Egg whites, tomato, and cheese omlette.
  • awesome_inferno
    awesome_inferno Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Breakfast
    La Banderita - Low Carb Soft Taco Tortilla Net Carbs, 1 Tortilla
    Trader Joe's - Organic Free Range Large Grade A Brown Eggs, 2 egg
    Market Side - Classic Smooth Guacamole 100 Calorie Pouch, 1 pouch
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sugar Sodium
    321 19 21 20 1 575
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi, I used to feel like going back to bed after eating either cereal with milk, toast with eggs, or any grain based breakfast. Even organic corn flakes made me sluggish.
    Now I have: 1 cup plain kefir (or any probiotic yoghurt), 1 scoop organic whey, 2 tablespoons flaxseeds, 2 tablespoon unsalted/no sugar added peanut butter and 1 1/2 cups blueberries. Mix it all up in the magic bullet and eat with spoon. I don't drink it, because the blueberrie's pectin makes it the consistency of yoghurt.
    This keeps me full and alert for 4-5 hours, and then it's lunch time.
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I mix a scoop of strawberry whey protein into my oats, easy and tasty!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese. That is my go-to protein in most meals or snacks. I usually do a smoothie for breakfast so I add it in along with Flaxseed.