The little voice inside our heads

Options
We all know about the little voice inside of us that is our conscience. If you don’t know that, it’s time to whip out Pinocchio. What isn’t taught to us is that there is another little voice inside of us that is just as present (and just as annoying) as our conscience. But this little voice is our anti-healthy voice. Our fat voice. Our chocolate voice. Let’s call him Willy.

Willy is the one telling you to eat the cake. Have the extra slice of pizza. No you don’t look fat in those jeans so why not put butter on your popcorn. But guess what? Willy lies. You do look fat in those jeans. You need the extra pizza slice like you need a root canal.

When you aren’t trying to live a healthier life, Willy is the good time man. He lets you eat all the best food at parties, and he always encourages another drink at the bar. (side note; Willy doesn’t care about your waistline, but he also doesn’t care about your wallet so it’s very easy for him to encourage that dinner out or extra drink.)

Now when the part of your brain not inhabited by Willy gets strong enough to say “I’M DONE BEING LIKE THIS, I WANT BETTER” Willy gets quiet for awhile. Warning: he is not gone! He is the one telling you to hit the snooze instead of hitting the gym. He is the one that turns a simple cheat day or meal into a disaster. Willy is not your friend.

Now the most disturbing thing about Willy (for me anyway) is that he acquired a white noise machine. How he did this I’m still not sure. And unfortunately for me, I just learned this yesterday. Yesterday was an intentional rest day for my workout plan. It also happened to be the night I was schedule to go out for drinks with co-workers. I hadn’t gone grocery shopping in ages, and I didn’t have nearly enough time to pick through the meager supplies to pack a lunch. Or eat breakfast. So after going out for breakfast, I go out for lunch and that was the first time I noticed the white noise. I just wasn’t hearing the prompts saying “don’t get the bread bowl”, “put down the cookie”. On days like these I feel I’m in overdrive. Like Willy knows he only has a set number of hours to convince me to eat as much junk as possible. Because now it is the next day and I feel awful. I exercised my free will in a destructive manner.

Now because Willy is quiet (er) I know I will stay under my calories. I know I will workout after work, I’ll drink lots of water, and I’ll do it all over again Saturday and Sunday. So that Monday when I weigh in, I should be okay. But the problem with Willy is more than just what he does on the days he rears his ugly head. It’s how I feel for days after. Like I should give up, sleep in, and eat chips. But I won’t. Today will be better. And today is all we should ever worry about.

So now, tell me what your little voice says??

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It's sad, but Willy tells me I'm not good enough so why try.

I'm trying to beat the crap out of Willy. ;)

It's a hard thing to work through, but things slowly become evident.

Thank you for sharing your story.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    You should know that you are good enough no matter what. It's hard, but we can get through it. We are good enough just by getting through each day.
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    "You've failed at this every time you've tried it. So why bother going through it again? You're just gonna torture yourself for weeks, lose a few pounds, then get frustrated and gain it all back til next time. Just skip all that and let's go to Dairy Queen."

Willy's kind of a d*ck.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Willy's kind of a d*ck.

A-effing-GREED!!
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Well, frak. Willy, with TOM's assistance, managed to set up camp inside my head today. I binged on cookies. :frown: I was just gonna have one, cause I was craving chocolate so bad, but I kept getting up and walking back to the kitchen. Stupid.

BUT I did come out of this with one small victory: Willy wanted me to bag the whole day...just make today a "cheat day," have a rest from the gym, maybe grab something good (read: McDonald's or Taco Time) for dinner...just relax, he said. You can totally make this up tomorrow.

And oh, I wanted to, so bad that I'm ashamed to admit how bad.

But I didn't. I laced up my shoes, and spent 90 minutes at the gym. Burned 600 calories, which was only 40 cals shy of negating the cookies. And for dinner tonight, we're having Salad Bar. I have some leftover chicken breasts that are already cooked, bell peppers, onions, some avocado...I'm gonna chop up all the veggies and set a bag of lettuce on the counter and let the family go to town.

Eff off, Willy.
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    Eff off, Willy.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You go, squirrel...

I'm glad I read this, Willy was breathing down my neck today, too - he tried to throw caution to the wind, but fortunately, I regained my senses before too much damage was done!
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    Willy has had too much reign here, for sure! Love the post! Too true, unfortunately. :0)

Hurt my knee a year ago after finally shedding the 50 lbs I put on after kiddos. Tendentious and it was painful. Running is my exercise of choice, for the most part, and it hurt to do that, walk, ride a bike . . basically everything hurt. So I didn't just quit running and exercising . . . I quit living healthy and kind of gave up. A year later, I weigh 20 lbs more and my knee doesn't hurt. But Willy, he's gained a lot of control . . . time to get it back!! What a struggle! But worth it!
  • tigersgirl
    tigersgirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That's so right....my little voice said it would be ok not to eat super clean and not to work out for the last week or so...i haven't gained any but i haven't lost any either. i know tomorrow is a new day and i will get back on track