"Why it is Hard For Obese People To Lose Weight..."

Options
124»

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    My question would be how you get to be 100's of pounds overweight without having any concern about it in the first place. It's not like you wake up one morning and you're obese. Is there not a point where you're getting a bit overweight that you notice and think "Wow, I need to lose a few pounds"? It always amazes me how people can go so off the rails that they are morbidly obese and seem to have no clue how that happened, like it snuck up on you.

yeah, it confuses me too. i got to 140 pounds and had an oh ****, i'm 5 pounds from being overweight and better lose it now moment. but i figure that everyone is different, especially people who have been overweight their entire life and that's all they know. i was skinny until i hit my mid 30's, so i can't really relate to that.

It's not as difficult as you think. If you overeat by 100 calories a day, every day you will gain approximately 10 extra pounds a year. First of all think about how little 100 calories can be. Then you can imagine that 10 pounds in a year happens very easily without you ever really noticing. You started our at 130 pounds but by the end of the year, 140 pounds is your new normal, and so on and so forth. Add to that the fact that clothing designer keep making their clothing size larger. A size 10 today was about a size 14 20 years ago. So you were in a size 10 and 30 -40 pounds later, you're still in a size 10. It can creep up on you. I will agee that I don't know how you can get to the point that you are literally bed-bound and can't leave your home but over the course of 10-20 years, it's not that hard to slowly add on 50 or more pounds.
  • vg8pr0
    vg8pr0 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump