Head Cold---Work Out??

Options
I have the beginnings of a head cold: scratchy throat, stuffy nose, swollen lymph nodes feeling crummy. Should I work out tonight or rest?

Replies

• buddysmom35
    buddysmom35 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    rest
  • jcasebolt84
    jcasebolt84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That will be your call. If it's just head congestion then it is perfectly safe to work out. Getting your blood flowing can actually help increase antibodies in your body. However, don't completely exhaust yourself....you still need to reserve some energy for your body to start recovering.
  • LittleMissChristi
    Options
    I've always continued workouts through headcolds so long as they are ONLY a headcold.

Above the shoulders, have a 40% workout. Below the shoulders, skip it and rest.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    for sure,,, work it,,, you will feel spanky after that.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have the beginnings of a cold as well and I am still going to go work out. Just some walking around the track and maybe some light weights so there is less chance of me spreading germs.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    If I really feel unwell, I don't workout. If its a stuffy nose, working out actually opens up your sinuses and makes it easier to breathe.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I can attest from personal experience that if it is below your shoulders (i.e. in your chest) at all, SKIP IT.

Just over a year ago I gave myself a bad case of bronchitis from working out with a chest cold (pushed it farther and farther down into my chest) and I STILL suffer effects of that, namely that I now out asthma when exercising in the cold which never happened before.

So yes, a head cold - work out. A chest cold, hunker down in bed!
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've always continued workouts through headcolds so long as they are ONLY a headcold.

Above the shoulders, have a 40% workout. Below the shoulders, skip it and rest.

^ This is what I was coming in to say
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I prefer to rest if I'm feeling sick - sleep & liquids are the magic combo to get me feeling better. But it should be ok as long as you're not going to a gym or anything to spread germs, & keep it low impact. Stretching would probably be a really good thing.