am i the only hormonally challeneged dieter?

Options
am i the only person here who is in a constant battle with my hormones and food?

for the first two weeks after my period cycle i can eat healthily, and mostly slightly under my calorie goals, however after watching this next bit for the last 6 months i now know that on day 14 i begin to lose the will to eat healthy and crave carbs of any kind.....
i have spoken to my doctor about this and he has prescribed 100mg of b6 a day which has helped with the 'yoyo' emotions in a much better way, but when i asked about any thoughts or suggestions on the food cravings he said fight them with salad.....not very helpful at all! when i said carbs were my demon he suggested salad and fruit this time!.......im not stupid i do know whats healthy and what isn't!
i went on to tell him that in the first 2 weeks i will lose apx 5-7lbs in weight weeks 2-4 i gain between 3-4 lbs so infact i am only losing 3lb a month which is soul destroying, he said well its better than nothing, and its probably fluid, i would agrre with the fluid as i do have a gain of apx 4lb in the last week and then lose that in week one, but 4 lbs loss a month is driving me insane!!!!
so my reason for posting this is :

1) is there anyone else out there who struggles with this?
2) add me if you do! maybe we will be able to be at different stages of cycle
and
3) any herbal/vitamin known remedies that may help curb these cravings?

Replies

• PinkyFran
    Options
    am i really?....wow i must need some real help lol ......;)
  • Corkline
    Corkline Posts: 107
    Options
    4 pounds a month is average...you're "supposed" to only lose about a pound a week.

I know what you mean with the cravings. I'll have at least 1-2 days of "eat ALLLLLL the food" and no, salad won't cut it. Peanut Butter M&Ms and make it fast.

To deal with the yo yo, think about only weighing yourself once a month? I know where my fluctuation is coming from, and I'm OK with bouncing up and down, but if it's really bumming you out, weigh when you know the scale is down.
  • PinkyFran
    Options
    your quite right re the 4 lbs i suppose i am just frustrated with the yoyo.....

glad i am not the only one! mine is cheese, and mashed potato, and chocolate, lol anything i can get my hands on really!

onc a month weigh in sounds like a very good idea, thankyou i appreciate your reply :smile:
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Yes, when TOM comes, I get the munchies BIG TIME. My co-workers usually call it a case of "the eat's".

Don't bash yourself about it. Just know that it's coming, and do what you can to control the damage, so to speak.

When you go for snacks, ask yourself if you need protein or fiber or both, and try to make good choices, so that when you do go over, it's not just carbs and fats. Besides, protein stays with you longer, and keeps you fuller longer.

One thing I really like is chocolite triple chocolate fudge protein/fiber bars. www.healthsmartfoods.com My husband likes the cashew caramel ones, and we both like the cookies/cream ones. They're about 100 calories, and have about 10 grams of protein and about 10 grams of fiber - they're sugar free/gluten free, and taste really good.

String cheese and greek yogurt are also good choices.

For what it's worth, and good luck!!
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    I have PMDD - symptoms include gaining many inches of bloat and up to 7-10 lbs 2 wks before the start, plus binge eating and food cravings, among other things. I've been giving into my binges for many years, but I've decided to take back control over the food. MFP has been helping me - i log everything, so i can be accountable. Plus, it helps me not fog out when I'm eating. But I'm still obsessively thinking about food every second of every day. All this, mostly during 2 weeks before the start.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I have the same problems. I've been told protein is supposed to help. Not sure if it does or not. I just try and do my best and move on. I don't weigh very often. I just go by how things fit.
  • PinkyFran
    Options
    thank you everyone for replying, nice to know im not alone!.......i am wheat and lactose intolerant so the low cal quick fixes are few and far between sadly, i should have mentioned that inittially!.......but i do feel better knowing there are people out there who have to battle hormones as well as will power!!!! xx
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Hey Pinky--I think you'll find there are TONS of us dealing with hormonal issues here. I've had some success getting my hormonal issues sorted out by eating certain things, not eating others, and lifting weights. It didn't happen overnight, but stuff is changing, and all that improves for me the closer I get to a healthy weight. Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I WANT TO TRY THIS ARE THEY IN ANY OF THE STORES??
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My husband is lactose intolerant as well, so even though I am not, I try and cook the best that I can w/o using milk products. I have found that a lot of the Kraft cheeses contain 0 grams of lactose (stated on their packages) and he's not had trouble with it. It's been a huge help and money saver.