Alternative to peanut butter?

Options
I love to have an apple with peanut butter everyday for lunch. However, 2 tbsp is 200 calories! Any other suggestions so I don't use so many calories for this one item??

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    run for 20 minutes later.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Only using 1 tbsp will cut out about 100 calories.
  • KarenJean91
    KarenJean91 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought it, but everyone suggests something called PB2... 45 calories for 2 tablespoons. It's a peanut powder you mix with water to make a paste. It's made by Bell Plantation
  • VSeed2008
    Options
    Almond butter has slighty less calories.
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    PB2 like someone said. SO GOOD.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    yeah, but then your ptions would be runny natural stuff or straight commercial stuff as anything in between wouldn't spread. And then if you didn't use high calorie whole grain bread it would probably crumble when you tried to spread it anyway...
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    They have peanut butters with lower caloric counts.
    Compare the brands at the grocery store. There are even some with the same calorie count as others but twice as healthy because of being more natural. Like, at whole foods or similar places you can grind your own with a machine there and you know it's just nuts going into it. without preservatives and added sugar and stuff.

Nuts are naturally pretty calorie dense but that doesn't make them unhealthy if eaten in moderation.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    What are you trying to get? Just a yummy protein to go with apples?
    You could try a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese - I think a wedge is 35 calories. Probs not as much protein as PB but it must have some.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    yeah, but then your ptions would be runny natural stuff or straight commercial stuff as anything in between wouldn't spread. And then if you didn't use high calorie whole grain bread it would probably crumble when you tried to spread it anyway...

I thought we were just dipping our apples in the peanut butter..no one said anything about bread.
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought it, but everyone suggests something called PB2... 45 calories for 2 tablespoons. It's a peanut powder you mix with water to make a paste. It's made by Bell Plantation

That was going to be my suggestion....PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

This works too...or Go lift some heavy weights and eat what you want to.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options

This works too...or Go lift some heavy weights and eat what you want to.

Works for me!! :bigsmile:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I LUUUUUUUV peanut butter and do PB and celery all the time. I just chince on the PB as much as possible and compensate in other meals.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The correct answer is, there's no alternative to peanut butter. It's the best thing EVER.

Although I just ate an apple with some Gouda, so that might be a close runner up.
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I like to snack on sliced apples with lemon juice or cheese, but my favorite is Justin's almond butter.
    The nutritional density of nuts is enough to outweight the relatively arbitrary amount of calories you're consuming, but if that's what you're truly worried about then just cut corners elsewhere or commit to adding a small amount of exercise to your typical routine.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I make room in my diet for natural PB - it's one of my staple foods - it is nutrient dense and has healthy/essential fats. I would rather eat 2TBSPs of it than say bread or dairy. It's very filling and satisfying, so I am very pro peanut butter myself, but if it bothers you try almond butter. Justins is very good (albeit a tad gritty)...
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

That was going to be my suggestion....PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter

I've been eating this stuff almost daily for around a year now. Love it. I get it on Amazon.com and Netrition.com
  • arndtparker
    arndtparker Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try Better n' peanut butter, 100 cals for 2 tbsp. I love this stuff!
    http://www.betternpeanutbutter.com/index.php
  • Angie1366
    Options
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=60891

There's no alternative.. but if you make these and be very good... take one a day to get the peanut "kick"
  • roxierachael
    roxierachael Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter warmed in the microwave will spread easier.