Alcohol??!!

Options
Hi everyone,
Started on here just over a week ago.... At the gym 3/4 times per wk and trying to follow a lower carb diet as got a bit of a poorly tummy, think its candida so gotta cut down on sugar! Just wondering as now i can't drink my lovely wine and I still want to enjoy a drink r three! After all, I am IRISH, and its in our DNA :)) xx is vodka n diet coke ok? Not any cals?
I appreciate anyone's input but PLEASE don't tell me n to drink!! Xx
Donna xx

Replies

• beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Vodka diet coke is about 50 cals a go, so is vodka lime soda. Hope that helps!
    I'm from Newcastle, so I have to know these things, we are also big drinkeres!

Edit: Don't try low calorie wine. Ever. Makes me do a little vomit in my mouth, it's rank. And UK shots are 25ml usually, so smaller than US, hence why in America a vodka and diet coke is like 100 cals
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    alcohol is loaded with calories lol
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I own a bar, so I scanned the liqour I drink, with the bar code scanner on the phone app...I was shocked to see the different cal. in different liquors, I like dark rum, thought it would be higher than vodka....it was less by a few cals, I limit to one night a week myself, try scanning the code.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Vodka is at minimum 96cal per 1.5 oz serving (1 standard shot). Be careful! Alcohol is not low calorie!
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, check out getdrunknotfat.com
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    www.getdrunknotfat.com
  • beskimoosh
    Options

God, I look like some sort of expert now on drinking but had to reply to this one...
    It depends what you drink, making lower calorie choices is possible, just like with anything.
    Beer or wine, not such a great choice caloriewise, spirits with low calorie mixers are a much better choice.
    If you're going to drink cocktails, pick ones without cream etc, and swap for low cal where you can (like diet coke in a long island iced tea. Not that there's much coke in it). And a glass of wine isn't going to kill you, work it into your day :wink:
  • djames92
    Options

God, I look like some sort of expert now on drinking but had to reply to this one...
    It depends what you drink, making lower calorie choices is possible, just like with anything.
    Beer or wine, not such a great choice caloriewise, spirits with low calorie mixers are a much better choice.
    If you're going to drink cocktails, pick ones without cream etc, and swap for low cal where you can (like diet coke in a long island iced tea. Not that there's much coke in it). And a glass of wine isn't going to kill you, work it into your day :wink:
    i wasnt saying you cant do it within your cals im just saying it has alot. and it seems like alot because it takes me about 10 shots to get really drunk so thats about 1000 calories
  • beskimoosh
    Options

i wasnt saying you cant do it within your cals im just saying it has alot. and it seems like alot because it takes me about 10 shots to get really drunk so thats about 1000 calories

Must of misread it, it just didn't seem very supportive.
    I don't always drink to get drunk, I was presuming OP might just want to have a few :smile:
  • TGGolfer
    TGGolfer Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Vodka Tonic, Sea Breeze, Gin and Tonic are all good choices for low cal drinks
  • djames92
    Options

Must of misread it, it just didn't seem very supportive.
    I don't always drink to get drunk, I was presuming OP might just want to have a few :smile:
    so hard to convey tone on the internet :drinker:
  • edencrannon
    edencrannon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I WILL continue to have alcohol! I know it's got calories but.... Life's short, and yeah, I wanna lose weight but I also need to live my life in my usual fun way! Thanks for the vodka an diet coke alternative! Will pour a wee one later xx
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I've decided to give it up- not forever- and I will drink if I go out (which doesn't happen very often) and for birthdays, on holidays etc but not my normal couple of glasses of wine at home a couple of times a week. It's more calories, and it makes me eat more, so even more calories and I'm only on 1400 a day (before exercise calories) so I think i'd rather have more food!
  • exile40
    exile40 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I go for Vodka , fresh lime and soda.

Would kill for a cold beer though :(
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation works well.
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    I was doing the mixed drinks for awhile and they are pretty low in calories, but right now I'm hooked on the hard ciders. I have it so that I can have one BIG one (22 oz) every day! For me, it was important to have the lowest calories, with the highest alcohol content and still taste good! Sadly, that comes at a price! I am drinking Crispin's hard cider. It has a red label and notes that it has a touch of maple syrup. For 256.7 calories, I get 22 ounces of 6.9% alcohol. Our local grocery store (Giant Eagle) carries it for $7 a bottle. I know, the price hurts but it's so good on the waistline (if ya gotta drink).
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Clear spirits are typically the lowest in calories and have the least impact on sugar. Vodka is normally my favorite pick.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Moderation is OK, after that then good luck with trying to lose bodyfat.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I was doing the mixed drinks for awhile and they are pretty low in calories, but right now I'm hooked on the hard ciders. I have it so that I can have one BIG one (22 oz) every day! For me, it was important to have the lowest calories, with the highest alcohol content and still taste good! Sadly, that comes at a price! I am drinking Crispin's hard cider. It has a red label and notes that it has a touch of maple syrup. For 256.7 calories, I get 22 ounces of 6.9% alcohol. Our local grocery store (Giant Eagle) carries it for $7 a bottle. I know, the price hurts but it's so good on the waistline (if ya gotta drink).

But you can have higher alcohol percent for a lot less calories with vodka or rum to a zero cal bev.
  • lgoewey36
    Options
    Have you tried Skinny Girl Drinks. I hear they have lower calories and you do not have to be a girl to drink them. http://www.skinnygirlcocktails.com/ I have tried them they are good a little higher than normal drinks but less than going to the bar. I limit when I go out and limit on the weekends to try not to offset all my working out and eating veggies/fruit all week. But in the past I was always a big party person so I know in order for life style change to work for me I need to be myself and have a night out.. I am planning on going out on St Patty's. I am sure I will not be drinking the skinny girl cocktails that day :