messing up on weekends

Options
2»

Replies

• MelisaBegins
    MelisaBegins Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This was/is my issue too. At first I stopped going out as much until I am more motivated then I resume activities. I am not currently drinking and always DD just to avoid the temptation. If I get an appetizer I always opt for the healthiest one (seared ahi, edamame, salad w/dressing on the side, etc.,) even if I am not feeling it. By the time it gets to the table I am tired of waiting and hungry and enjoy it more than something bad anyway. No more weekend self sabotage for me, food just isn't that important to me anymore. Don't cheat this weekend and weigh yourself this Monday and see how much better you feel ;)

thats the thing i have a dinner date with a friend this weekend so i will try to order something healthy and a baby shower on saturday where there will be tons of food. but i am doing a kick boxing session this weekend so that will burn a lot of calories!

Another suggestion is something that I've tried recently also (I struggle with the same thing - you are not alone!) - we tend to eat out a lot on the weekends. What I've been doing is planning ahead - go online and check out the restaurant's menu - almost every restaurant has a website - and build it into MFP ahead of time. It makes me feel so much more comfortable with going out - knowing that I have a "roadmap" and am prepared. Good luck!
  • angiewhitney
    Options
    I love going out on weekends - pizza and beer are a bug favorite of mine. I just compromise and order light beer and have one slice of pizza with a ton of salad and dressing on the side or light dressing. I think it's fine for a treat every now and then.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The journey that you are on has to be able to handle all of the variations, the ebbs and flows, the wins and losses. It NEVER comes down to one meal or one day. It is all about the trend.

Good luck!

love this! thank you
    You are welcome. I have re-read many of the posts. many great thoughts. The experiences of many have taught me that any program that lives and dies at teh extreme ends of the option spectrum are not sustainable. Hence my advice to you to find a good balanace point and focus on the trend.

I do want to encourage you on concept of trying to go alcohol free for a month. However, i would also caution you on that. It really doesn't sound like, at this point in your life, that would be consistent with who you are.

Find some moderation (lots of good ideas in here for that) but don't forget to enjoy your friends. Weight is just a number but relationships and the joy that comes with them lasts a lifetime.

it is a journey. Focus on the macro trends in your life and let the individual data points sort themselves out!

Peace to you!
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    This was/is my issue too. At first I stopped going out as much until I am more motivated then I resume activities. I am not currently drinking and always DD just to avoid the temptation. If I get an appetizer I always opt for the healthiest one (seared ahi, edamame, salad w/dressing on the side, etc.,) even if I am not feeling it. By the time it gets to the table I am tired of waiting and hungry and enjoy it more than something bad anyway. No more weekend self sabotage for me, food just isn't that important to me anymore. Don't cheat this weekend and weigh yourself this Monday and see how much better you feel ;)

thats the thing i have a dinner date with a friend this weekend so i will try to order something healthy and a baby shower on saturday where there will be tons of food. but i am doing a kick boxing session this weekend so that will burn a lot of calories!

Another suggestion is something that I've tried recently also (I struggle with the same thing - you are not alone!) - we tend to eat out a lot on the weekends. What I've been doing is planning ahead - go online and check out the restaurant's menu - almost every restaurant has a website - and build it into MFP ahead of time. It makes me feel so much more comfortable with going out - knowing that I have a "roadmap" and am prepared. Good luck!

This! I do this too and it is a great idea! As for the baby shower, can you bring something healthy to share with everyone that is actually intended more for you? Or can you eat before you go?
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I don't usually have a cheat day that I have scheduled.There are holidays,birthdays,special occasions when I'm not as diligent.And I don't beat myself up about it.And when I do "cheat",it's one meal and not a whole day.
  • kristimcb2605
    Options
    I understand weekends! My husband and our friends like to go out. They drink beer, I like mixed drinks or wine.

My rules of thumb:
    1) I eat veggies while I am getting ready. Fill up.
    2) Fried foods come out. I pick one, have two pieces and call it good (or more recently - none...doesn't taste good).
    3) If I order wine or mixed drink, one and I nurse it, plus order a protein (lean steak or fish) with veggies. Unfortunately,
    wine/mixed drink is more expensive, so I usually end up with water with a lime.
    4) I only eat 1/2 my meal and make it last.
    5) Look up the restuarant/bar/wherever we go before we go, so I already know what I eat.

This way, I don't feel like I am missing out. I am "cheating" a little and get to enjoy the night. Willpower is for some...I'm more into planning!!!

Good Luck.

Kristi
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Messing up is what weekends are for!!!!
  • NewKeriSept2014
    NewKeriSept2014 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i mess up on the weekends too lol. and i cant get myself to go out and not drink. or be the DD. I usually walk where I go, or stay the night where i hang out. if i really want to lose wieght i know i need to take a couple week break buts its hard. To do so I would have to become a hermit and just ignore everyone lol
  • wendyhill161
    Options
    If I eat something I shouldn't, I was finding oh well I blew it and I would keep eating. I have decided I will have a cheat meal once a fortnight after I get weighed. maybe you could cut it back to once a week . good luck with it.
  • shimsjojo
    Options
    I like seeing that I'm not the only one that messes up on the weekends. I just joined this program and love it!!! What I have figured out is that if I work out a little harder during the week and stick to the 1200 calorie plan even when it tells me I can eat more because I worked out this way if I cheat on the weekends its not as bad because I feel I have extra calories that didnt use during the week
  • cljabusc
    Options
    I comes down willpower, yes, but a huge part of that (for me at least) is planning it out before I go. Once I've resolved in my mind to not drink a six pack and eat a whole basket of fries, its easier to execute. And once you get in the habit of that, it's easier to repeat each weekend.

I really have to go into it with an intention of "I'm going to not pig out" even though that might be the general mood. People will respect you for it, and you'll respect yourself, too. Your bank account and body will be thankful!

planning WORKS! it helps you have more willpower
  • jancli
    jancli Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like seeing that I'm not the only one that messes up on the weekends. I just joined this program and love it!!! What I have figured out is that if I work out a little harder during the week and stick to the 1200 calorie plan even when it tells me I can eat more because I worked out this way if I cheat on the weekends its not as bad because I feel I have extra calories that didnt use during the week

I agree with you 100%. I stay at the 1200 calorie mark during the week and alow myself to be less strict on the weekend. I love this post.......the weekend is to relax drink eat and be happy!
  • cljabusc
    Options
    very helpful! i agree that it has to do with will power. this weekend i think i will try and plan ahead and also eat something before i go out. it is very hard though to order a salad when everyone else is ordering cheeseburges and fries but in the end its mind over matter!

I'm going to deluxe burger bar tonight (they have some pretty gourmet high cal burgers).I looked up the menu. I am going to order the "guilt free burger" and cut it in half. (half for lunch tomorrow) and instead of fries i'm ordering a half order of the mixed green salad. I will eat this and only this because it is in my plan :) <-- this meal came out to 350 cal. not bad eh?
    You can still have burgers!! just plan plan plan!
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'd just switch to rum or vodka, I miss beer terribly though. Terribly
  • kmichelle1821
    Options
    i mess up on the weekends too lol. and i cant get myself to go out and not drink. or be the DD. I usually walk where I go, or stay the night where i hang out. if i really want to lose wieght i know i need to take a couple week break buts its hard. To do so I would have to become a hermit and just ignore everyone lol

omg thats exactly me! lol i usualy stay wherever im at too and cant bring myself to not go out and be the DD!! lol i dont want to become a hermit either!