Help Me Feel Good About Being Fit and Pregnant

Options

Replies

• shirin8
    shirin8 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You are doing such a great job! Let me tell you a quick tale of two pregnancies:
    1) With my first, I was a very fit 127lbs before getting pregnant. Once I found out, I started "eating for two" and stopped exercising and swiftly gained 62 lbs. I went on to have 2 more children over the next 2 years and ended up at 192lbs when I delivered my third. It took me all of last year to lose 67lbs (due to MFP and dedicated exercise).
    2) Now I am 21 weeks pregnant with my 4th: I have gained 8lbs (am now 133lbs) and feel healthier, more energetic and my baby is growing perfectly on schedule. Much fewer aches and pains due to exercise. You are not actuall eating for two. Advice that helped me was to not add any calories in 1T (move to maintenance), add 300 quality calories daily in 2T and 450 (total not on top of the 300) in the 3T when the baby needs to gain the most weight.

You are doing what's best for you and the baby. Good luck for a healthy pregnancy. Add me if you'd like!
  • Reebee22
    Reebee22 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I so wish I'd worked out and eaten sensibly when I was pregnant with my kids I took eating for two to the extreme! Gained about 30 kilos with both and now have stretched loose skin everywhere :( Don't listen to the haters your doing everything right and your doc and ob agree with you! GO YOU! And that baby will come out healthy and happy and that's all you really wish for :wink:
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    that was the WORST thing about being pregnant, all the unsolicited advice/comments from people. I heard stuff like that a lot too because i wasnt an enormous pregnant cow that gained 100lbs during my pregnancies. It sounds like you are doing everything just perfectly fine for you and baby. I know its hard, but try to ignore all of the negative comments and know you are doing a good job, especially if your dr says so. congrats, and good luck to you!!
  • SASSYnCHICago
    SASSYnCHICago Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are very knowledgeable and know what your body & baby needs. I personally only gained 25 lbs because I ate very healthy - and I really was eating all day long and never went hungry. My body weight and size was larger than yours ((5'5 -155lbs) and my OB actually said that it would be best continue to exercise and not to over eat.

I would suggest that you continue doing what your body says and try to eat 2K calories a day rather than 1600 - as it really could use that extra energy burst. But- I admire you for not using pregnancy as an excuse to eat for 2!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    from the sounds of things, you're doing everything right... especially if your doctors are saying youre doing the right thing. Dont let anyone else get to you and stay strong!
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I eat WELL (a variety of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, etc), avoid garbage (refined sugars, processed foods, caffeine etc), and I work hard to ensure I'm getting enough protein (via hemp powder, chia, nuts, legumes, yogurt. eggs and fish). I'm supplementing my diet with additional liquid b12, a prenatal supplement, prenatal DHA and 600mg of calcium/synthetic vitamin D, on top of that which I get from my food. All of these things have been cleared by both my doctors. I'm 5'2.5, starting weight about 116lbs (I've been quite active pre-pregnancy), and currently weigh 135lbs (average weight gain for 25 weeks).

My baby is measuring at a SLIGHTLY above average size (a healthy weight), and neither my OBGYN nor my doctor seem concerned with either of our weight gain. I PERSONALLY feel like I've done everything possible to help this pregnancy go smoothly... Still, their accusations are made me feel insecure, and I can't shake the feeling that I'm going to fail at motherhood (this is my first child).

Ignoring people can be quite healthy from time to time... It sounds like you are doing everything you can to care for your baby. Surely if you were doing anything to harm him/her, one of your doctors would say something. Given that it is presently a healthy weight and the docs are happy, you should continue as you are.

Obviously, I won't ever know what being pregnant or giving birth is like. But I do know that studies have shown that people who remain active and healthy throughout their pregnancies have an easier time giving birth for both Mom and Baby (which means things are less stressful for Dad, too!), recover more quickly afterwards, and have a lower incidence of postpartum depression. That would seem to indicate you're doing everything right!

So, yeah, either take the opportunity to educate folks, perhaps encouraging additional healthy, active pregnancies, or ignore them completely, because it looks like you rock!
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    You look awesome and so cute with your baby bump! Don't let them judge you! If your doctors have cleared you and are ok with the plan you have set for yourself and your baby then take it with a grain of salt! I wish I had your OOMF during my 2 pregnancies!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are doing everything right! Especially the part of making sure your docs support your fitness/eating regimen. I can only hope that when it comes time for me to expand my family that I'll stick with the healthy active plan as you have. Have a wonderful rest of your pregnancy, I'm sure you're going to be a wonderful mother.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You're doing great, don't pay any attention to all those people who put on 80lbs when they're pregnant, that's MUCH worse for your baby. You're doing the right thing, you're eating well (I've seen your diary) and you're baby is getting a super-healthy diet packed full of nutrients and the exercise is measured and reasonable - you're keeping your body strong for both of you! You're going to be a great Mum x
  • heyyoudontgiveup
    heyyoudontgiveup Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'd be assuming things about the people who say stuff like this or about people who gain more weight or less weight with pregnancy (like some people in this thread are). There could be a lot of reasons why people assume gaining little weight and working out are negative things -- hell, there are some people who believe that raising your hands over your head while pregnant can cause the cord to wrap around baby's neck and kill it, and that's hilariously wrong.

I know I'll just be another voice hopping on here but ignore them. Listen to your OB. Some people gain 50 lbs due to being sick, some lose 50 while pregnant due to being sick! Some work out every day and some don't. Pregnancy and bodies are not a one-option-fits-all thing so do what's best for you and what your OBGYN says. :)
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I gained 100 while pregnant with my son. NO exercise and ate roughly 5000 calories a day. I am definitely going your route next time around! Sounds like you're doing great!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Ask them if they have a medical degree.... cause your dr does and he says its A ok!

This is what I'd say. With the interwebz being so full of "information," a lot of people believe they are armchair physicians. Not so. I wish everyone would leave the tough decisions to the trained, licensed professionals or at least do proper research.

You have been doing awesome during your pregnancy, and based on what I've seen from you on the pregnancy board and what you said here, I'd say you're well on top of what you need to be doing to have a healthy pregnancy!!!
  • alexianasmom
    Options
    DO NOT LISTEN. U ARE GIVING UR BABY THE BEST... YOU ARE ONLY SUPPOSE TO GET AN EXTRA 300 CALORIES WHILE PREGNANT A DAY... ACCORDING TO MY DRS...
    IF YOUR DRS ARE NOT WORRIED THEN I THINK UR GOOD... AND APPARENTLY SO IS UR CHILD!
    GOOD LUCK I KNOW FAMILY AND FRIENDS SOMETIMES MAKE THINGS WORSE...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are doing fine and as everyone else has said - listen to your doctor. Now, get yourself prepared because when you have the baby - the comments do not stop. Everybody feels they can give you advice and tell you how to be a mother. You have to find your own way. You WILL be an awesome mother. No one is ever perfect at being a parent, so you keep doing what you're doing. Have a healthy baby and then have some fun. They are only little for a very short time. Hold your baby as much as you can. My baby is 32. She still crawls in my lap sometimes! Good luck!

^Agree with all of this. You have to do what's right for you and your baby.

And I also agree with the posters who said that the people making the comments are just saying it to justify their own bad habits when they were pregnant. There was a time, not too long ago, that I was jealous of fit people and would have said the same things (sad as it is to admit that).

You look amazing and congrats on your healthy pregnancy!
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't restricting yourself when you are really hungry (baby goes through crazy growth spurts in the third trimester!) then you are FINE! People will say almost anything to pregnant women under the guise of "advice" I've found. Most of it is eyeroll-worthy
  • ToFatToBeSick
    Options
    Honestly it felt like I wrote that form. I am also 6 months pregnant and eat 1500 calories a day but I do have an eating disorder. My baby is measuring a few days big as well and I gained a total of 8 pounds.

You're doing great. Everything was cleared by your doctor so don't listen to what other people are saying. You know what's best for you and I'm sure that if an issue came around, you would do what you needed to do to keep you and the fetus safe.

What people tend to forget when a woman is pregnant is that the woman is still a woman. They stop thinking about what is best for her and focus completely on the fetus and disregarding the feelings of the women altogether. It's not only about you and it's not only about the fetus. Both should be taken into consideration. The sooner people realize that the better.

Do what's best for you.
  • Naomi0222
    Options
    First of all, you have the cutest baby bump ever. Second, the doctors has not said anything to make you feel like you are doing anything wrong. Just keep doing what you are doing and you shouldn't feel the need to explain anything to anyone! You are within your range. Don't worry about anything!
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    They're just freaking jealous because they weren't able to keep their weight gain down while THEY were pregnant.

You prove that it CAN be done. Healthy and without ridiculous weight loss and that pisses them off.

Ignore them and know you're doing the best you know how. :) If your doc is happy, you should be happy!

This! ^
    Shoot! I'm jealous. ;)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I would say ignore the ignorant fools who are trying to get you down. You have confirmation from your doctors that you and your fetus are both healthy. If people are going to be ignorant and get on your *kitten* because you're not stuffing your face with chocolate covered pickles, then they are the ones with the problem, not you. Just keep doing what you're doing and know that you're gestating the healthy way.

Congrats too!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    If you and your doctors know everything's ok, that's all that matters. Screw those other fools. Know-it-alls ALWAYS have all sorts of unsolicited advice for pregnant women. Stop discussing what you do with unsupportive people. It's not their business. Put all those busybodies on IGNORE. :flowerforyou: