New tattoo and exercise

Options
I got my first tattoo yesterday. It sits right underneath my bra strap. Am I okay to go for a run today as long as I shower after? Should I just wear a compression top and forget about a bra? Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i would be careful with it. if you're working hard enough the bra strap could rub off some of the healing skin which would either cause it to heal with missing pieces or give you an infection. you should probably wait 2-3 days before doing anything that's going to involve a lot of friction in that area.
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The tattoo artist said she will do free touch ups if my bra rubs it off. I just want to protect it well
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    A neat trick is to tape saran wrap over the new tattoo. Your body heat will keep the plastic saran wrap pliant and it won't stick, but will still protect it from rubbing and chafing.
  • mackenzierain
    mackenzierain Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    After the initial bandage you really shouldn't cover it up again...saran wrap is the worst for tattoos, it just traps everything and can cause the new tattoo to become infected. I would wait a couple days and allow it to start to heal first.

P.s. coming from someone with 13 tattoos....and a nurse
  • TssCnn
    TssCnn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    After the initial bandage you really shouldn't cover it up again...saran wrap is the worst for tattoos, it just traps everything and can cause the new tattoo to become infected. I would wait a couple days and allow it to start to heal first.

P.s. coming from someone with 13 tattoos....and a nurse

Took the words right from me.
  • elizak87
    Options
    I have a colour run on Sunday that I paid $60 to go to. I rang the tattoo parlor and they said to wear a sports bra and they will touch it up if it gets damaged. I was told not to cover it if I can avoid it.
  • elizak87
    Options
    What about a ahh bra or a compression top with the side cut out?
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    I workout with new tattoos all the time , don't worry about it I just got my leg finished today and will be at the gym tomor morning.
  • elizak87
    Options
    I improvised
    <~~ ~~
  • erika0430
    Options
    I Feel Ya I got a Tattoo Yesterday and I cannot do laps in the pool or steam for a week! : (
  • mommycordillia
    Options
    I got 4 tattoos on Christmas (2 new, 2 complete touchups) and I was at the gym the next day, I just put Vasoline (spelling?) on them
  • canadian_bacon
    Options
    Rubbing on it could cause infection and covering it then sweating alot doesn't sound good. Not to mention how much worse it will itch (besides the normal itch). What about a racerback sports bra? The kind where the middle of your back is covered then the straps are right against your neck leaving the shoulders open?
  • TssCnn
    TssCnn Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I improvised
    <~~ ~~

This was a great idea!