I've lost 9 pounds, but my stomach is the same?

Options
The scale says I have lost 9 pounds. (For a month I have eaten 1200 calories a day and done some type of cardio everyday.) However, my stomach actually seems bigger to me than when I started. I really don't think it is muscle because I have not been doing weight training or ab exercises. (I want to lose all my fat first.) Will I ever lose the fat from my stomach? Am I being paranoid? What should I do?

Replies

• mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    You will lose the weight from your mid section too, just keep working out and eating right. You cannot target where the weight will come off of :)

I would assume that your whole body is getting slimmer, so it may look the same to you but you probably look thinner as well! Keep up the good work and congrats on 9 lbs!
  • cchavez325
    Options
    Add greens more greens, like Wheat Grass Shots etc, salads you will see your tummy go down and you must do some sort of stomach excursive, Seeds, berries, Greens, Onions, Mushrooms will shrink your tummy
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Im having the same problem. i have lost 11 pound but zero inches from my stomach which now looks even bigger in comparison to the rest of me! Unfortunately you can't target weight loss so I have to just stick with what I am doing and know that it will come off from there eventually.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You will lose the weight from your mid section too, just keep working out and eating right. You cannot target where the weight will come off of :)

I would assume that your whole body is getting slimmer, so it may look the same to you but you probably look thinner as well! Keep up the good work and congrats on 9 lbs!

This really, you cannot choose where the fat will come off, but it will come off

I had a big beer belly & effing great thighs, now I don't, they sort of went away, and now I have a rib cage and cheek bones

Just hang in there and it will happen

PS a lot of the fat is internal so will go without any external sign
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Belly fat is stubborn and will likely leave last! You're doing really well so keep at it and t will move!!!
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I have a lot of bread my tummy gets bigger. I have to watch the bread (which I love and could live on if I had my druthers)....
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    center of mass is the last place fat usually comes off. For men its generally the stomach and for women its generally the hip area. You'll need to get pretty slim to lose it from there.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

Ed Zachary
  • DjangoAndDeadlifts
    Options
    Make sure to take pictures. You'll be extra critical of yourself and not notice changes without a reference.
  • thinagain2011
    thinagain2011 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My belly is always the last place I see changes. I first notice it from my face chest and arms. It's frustrating bc my stomach is my biggest part so it seems to get larger when compared to weight lost. But it eventually gets smaller. Just keep pushing. You're doing great.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Did you actually accurately measure your stomach? I.e. stand straight, suck in and measure around belly button. Do same measurement every two weeks. Your eyes play tricks, mine do. I thought I was not losing until I looked at the tape measure.
    The scale says I have lost 9 pounds. (For a month I have eaten 1200 calories a day and done some type of cardio everyday.) However, my stomach actually seems bigger to me than when I started. I really don't think it is muscle because I have not been doing weight training or ab exercises. (I want to lose all my fat first.) Will I ever lose the fat from my stomach? Am I being paranoid? What should I do?
  • NewKeriSept2014
    NewKeriSept2014 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i just talked to my trainer about this the other day and she said your stomach is the last place the weight will come off
  • bluebug2013
    bluebug2013 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Get out a tape measure and measure your waist, hips and your left thigh. Record the measurements with todays date.

Next month do the same. Do this every month until you get to your desired weight.

You will probably find that some parts of your body you will be an inch slimmer there as other parts you will only be a quarter of an inch every month. This will indicate where you store fat i.e. whether you are an apple or a pear.
  • bluebug2013
    bluebug2013 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i just talked to my trainer about this the other day and she said your stomach is the last place the weight will come off

Not true for every woman.

I lose weight from my back, then stomach, then arms etc and finally my thighs.

It's actually annoying to have an upper body two dress sizes smaller than your lower body.
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree that you are doing great. A few tips:

1. Don't let the scale dictate your life. It is just a number. Rely on pictures (as someone said) but also the mirror and your clothing. How does it fit?
    2. Don't skip weights and ab workouts. Muscle weighs more than fat AND burns more calories. If you build up for abdominal strength (full core so do more than crèches) you will be helped by the new added muscle helping to burn the fat off.
    3. Try to vary up your cardio. Don't do the same thing everyday and realize this will take some time so don't expect it over night.

I hope this helps and good luck!