questions for people with weight and exercise equipment

Options
I'm going to turn my garage into a gym slowly...I would like suggestions on equipments to buy....ima already planning to buy a simple weight bench,stationary bike and punching bag....but I dont know wha else would be good

Replies

• johnnyg211
    Options
    And what is the best type of bar and dumbbells and weights
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Power rack. Used weights. olympic bar.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Olympic bar for sure and weights aren't a wearable thing so buy used if you can. Weights is weights is weights... but I'm partial to the rubber coated ones since I'm a spaz and like to pinch my fingers. There are "adjustable" dumbells that might work out pretty great for a home gym. Instead of adding plates or buying a bunch of individual dumbbells preweighted you dial the weight and just pick em up off the stand.

If you're not expecting to do big weight then a home gym may be the way to go. Move and pin and done, plus you can incorporate a lot of things with cables you can't with freeweights. Problem with many home gyms is they don't get too heavy on the plates, topping out at just over 200 on the cheaper ones.

Punching bag... I'd stay away from the water filled ones. They move. Get a heavy bag you can mount to the ceiling. Much easier to use.

As far as other suggestions.... maybe some resistance bands and a swiss ball. They will add a lot of variety and are relatively cheap. Wal Mart has resistance band sets for under $30 with a dvd and I like the Gold's Gym swiss ball with the sand in it. Helps keep it from rolling all over the darn place.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    What he said. Look on Craigslist.

My current setup - combo squat rack/suspension trainer (got lucky on this find), assortment of dumbbells, ez bar, barbell, heavy bag, stability balls, resistance bands, bosu, and steps. I really don't need the bosu but hate to get rid of it.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Get an adjustable bench so you can do inclines, declines, seated press with full back support, etc.

A full squat cage is more expensive than a rack but you can use it to bench in and set the safety rails to catch the bar if you miss a rep or drop it or something. You can use the rack for other things too as you get more advanced.

Definitely look for used weights, but if you can't find them local, most sporting goods places have a starter 300lb Olympic set for under $100. An extra set of 45lb plates is nice to have too, much easier than loading up little ones for things like deadlifts and squats.

Rubber mats for the floor, at least 1 4x6 that you can deadlift and do cleans on and not worry about cracking the floor. Get those at a farm supply place, much cheaper than buying them from a fitness store. Mine are 1" thick, heavy as hell and were $30 each.

Depending on where you live, you might need a heater too. Those plates and bars get cold in the winter!
  • johnnyg211
    Options
    Yea I've heard about the Olympic bar, I had a water/sand filled punching bag and hated it moving so I'm gonna get a heavy bag and a stand thing for it...I will look into the resistance band
  • aiden623
    Options
    hammer strength equipment
  • johnnyg211
    Options
    Hmm mats is a good idea...I'm going to look up power racks
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Mats are important. Kettlebell is a good one. I just bought my weight at target but you can look on craigslist because they always have this stuff on there.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I think mostly everything has been mentioned. You can find a lot of weight at garage/yard sales.

IMHO a couple big mirrors are about as important as the weights. I use them to make sure I am using correct form.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Chin up bar...
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Chin up bar...

Included with the full squat cage!

Here's the one I have, over 10 years old, taken a ton of abuse. My son dumped a 500lb squat in it and one of the safety rails bent a little but it still works. I've used over 700lbs in it for specialty lifts like deadlift lockouts. You don't need an industrial quality $1000 dollar rack for home use, something like this one will take all you can give it for the few hours a week it'll get used.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/92563.html
  • whiskeysister510
    whiskeysister510 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions posted already—I don’t have anything new to add! But here’s what I have in my basement home gym:

Bench w/ rack & attachments
    Squat rack (ceiling is too low for full power rack)
    Olympic barbell w/ 300 lbs of plates + a couple bumper plates
    Dumbbells + kettlebells
    Box/step
    Flat bench
    Resistance bands + swiss ball
    Chin up bar (in the garage)

I put in heavy duty rubber interlocking floor mats to cover most of the room and then threw down a horse stall mat on top for a deadlift zone. For the fun/optional stuff, I have mirrors, a stereo, and shelves and containers to keep all my pins, collars and random stuff organized. I would like more dumbbells, kettlebells, and a decline bench…my wish list always grows! I’ve bought most of this stuff on Craigslist and at Play it Again Sports.

My profile pic shows my setup. Good luck!
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have a total gym and I really like it. I also have adjustable dumbbells that I sometimes use. I feel there are pros and cons to each of those.
    I am not super smart at lifting and everything so I feel...safer with the total gym. I drop things all the time at work-scissors, papers ect. so everytime I pick up my dumbbells I do worry I will drop them. haha
    Stupid excuse but I feel like I don't need to worry about dropping weights with my Total gym. Plus, I can do pull-ups and leg curls with it.
    I bought a stationary bike at a thrift shop-a whole $10.
    I also went through a kettlebell phase where I bought a few KBs and dvds and used them.