Strength training for hurt shoulder

Options
s50s
s50s Posts: 138 Member
I want to start weight lifting but I have a bad shoulder that I am suppose to take it easy on. What can I do as far as weight lifting if I can't use my arm? I need a program.

Replies

• RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    This is more of a question for a doctor or someone who has training in that field
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I think this is a legit place to ask in addition to talking to your doctor, physical therapist or personal trainer. There are knowledgeable people on MFP and so often doctors don't know, don't care or don't have time - the general practitioner I talked to just prescribed me a muscle relaxer medication - NOT helpful.

Anyways, I have a shoulder problem too. If you are a member of a gym you can use machines instead of free weights to target muscles without using your shoulder as much. Don't increase your weight too fast - make sure the weight you are using is manageable and not aggravating your shoulder. I do use free weights but I go heavier on leg exercises and have to go lighter on exercises that work the shoulders. Stretch, heat, ice, use arnica, massage, all that. You can also do bodyweight exercises like pushups, squats and lunges, plyometrics etc. In terms of programs, I would google bodyweight exercises. There is also an app called something like "your body is your gym" or something.

Does this help? What other type of ideas are you looking for?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength. The book specifically outlines how to work in frm to strengthen and improve shoulder mobility and strength.
    Has helped me immensely. Look up rotator cuff exercises.

But you'll have to give more detail on what is up with your shoulder.....
  • s50s
    Options
    Starting Strength. The book specifically outlines how to work in frm to strengthen and improve shoulder mobility and strength.

I have bursitis in my left shoulder.
  • s50s
    Options
    I think this is a legit place to ask in addition to talking to your doctor, physical therapist or personal trainer. There are knowledgeable people on MFP and so often doctors don't know, don't care or don't have time - the general practitioner I talked to just prescribed me a muscle relaxer medication - NOT helpful.

Anyways, I have a shoulder problem too. If you are a member of a gym you can use machines instead of free weights to target muscles without using your shoulder as much. Don't increase your weight too fast - make sure the weight you are using is manageable and not aggravating your shoulder. I do use free weights but I go heavier on leg exercises and have to go lighter on exercises that work the shoulders. Stretch, heat, ice, use arnica, massage, all that. You can also do bodyweight exercises like pushups, squats and lunges, plyometrics etc. In terms of programs, I would google bodyweight exercises. There is also an app called something like "your body is your gym" or something.

Does this help? What other type of ideas are you looking for?

Thanks going to google it. I used to do free weights but since this injury I haven't did anything but cardio, and the scale hasn't moved.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

In that case - Starting Strength is not my recommendation. You need to deal with the inflammation. See a doc, ice and work with range of motion exercise. I can suggest this book for those exercises.
    http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Own-Rotator-Cuff/dp/1598582062
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I tore my left rotator cuff in high school. The one thing that worked best for my recovery was swimming. It's cardio+resistance training all in one, and low-impact too :)
  • s50s
    Options

In that case - Starting Strength is not my recommendation. You need to deal with the inflammation. See a doc, ice and work with range of motion exercise. I can suggest this book for those exercises.
    http://www.amazon.com/Treat-Your-Own-Rotator-Cuff/dp/1598582062

Thank you!
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i had a similar shoulder issue a few years ago. see a PT, they will give you exercises to start out with, and you can go from there. see a dr. they will most likely put you on an NSIAD regimen to deal with the inflammation. Take it slow...don't do anything that causes pain to the area...it will only delay healing.
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Before you start anything consult a Physical Therapist. Don't take advice from someone online because they don't know your contraindications or what you should be doing to help with the bursitis. You need a professional to diagnose and prescribe treatment.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Well I had shoulder surgery almost 3 years ago, it was hurting pretty bad , from years of weightlifting, and I am nursing my other one, for wahile after surgery , I did light weights, keeping exercises below the shoulders, no overhead motions at all, upright rows are good , shrugs are good, side lateral raises are good, alos seated rear delt rows to hit the back of your delts, hope this was helpful.