I Need Nachos

Options
Okay, so now I am inspired to have nachos for dinner. Tell me your favorite way of making them, what toppings you add, what kinds of chips you use. Do you bake them or nuke them? Spicy or just flavorful? Discuss. Pictures encouraged.

Replies

• Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yummmmm...nachos!!! I would pile on lots of diced tomatoes, peppers and onions. Throw on some black olives. Some shredded cheese. Bake 'em!!! Mmmmmm.....mmmmmm.....good!! Don't forget the salsa! And maybe some chicken or beef!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I usually will make nachos with left over. Taco meat with cheese, salsa, jalapeños and tortilla chips. I bake them in the oven until the cheese is nice and melty!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I usually slice up a kilo or so of potatoes into crisps and put a pound or so of ground meat on top of it - chicken, beef, lamb, pork, bacon, Ox heart, etc. Then I top it with cheese, guac, salsa and GY or sour cream (depending on my day's current protein intake).

Tonight I'm having bacon-beef nachos, <3 Fried the meat in bacon grease, added in a crapton of mushrooms, broccoli, tomatoes and veggies and am gonna serve it over sweet potato crispy goodness.
    I love nachos. My favourite food, since I was young. I strive to have it at least twice a week.

Check my profile pics (on IPad and can't post :/) for some nachoey goodness - chicken nachos.
  • dawnreid2012
    dawnreid2012 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Great now I want nachos lol.. I do them two different ways. If I am wanting a snack just mix a tbsp of cheez whiz with a splash of milk and put it in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Then pour it over the On The Border Cantina Thin chips and add jalapenos.. If I am eating them for dinner I use the same chips and the same cheez whiz and I layer it like this... Chips, ground beef, refried beans, lettuce, green onions, cheeze whiz, and sour cream... YUMMY!!
  • WhitR86
    WhitR86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I had nachos for lunch! Its one of my favorite foods. Round tortilla chips nacho cheese shredded cheese red beans jalapenos diced tomato and onion black olives and sour cream! Nom nom!!
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    So, here's what I ended up making. I had some leftover diced chicken in the fridge, so it was perfect!

My Nacho Beauty

07Feb2013yumnachosemail5.jpg

Bite My Nachos!

07Feb2013openupemail5.jpg
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My new version of nachos is:

Find the lower calorie tortillas and cut them up into triangles
    Bake them in the oven until crispy like chips (They burn fast so watch them)
    Cut up LOTS of veggies- I do fresh tomato, green pepper, onion, cilantro, jalapeno
    For meat I do previously baked chicken breast or turkey breast.
    I add a dab of tapatio on top of everything
    and do a small serving of cheese over the top.
    microwave for a few minutes
    I also sometimes have them with some Simply Fat Free Sour Cream.
    I try to do WAYY more veggies than chips or cheese...

they are healthier that way than how I used to do them. :P
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Cut up LOTS of veggies- I do fresh tomato, green pepper, onion, cilantro, jalapeno

Just my two cents here, but if you're looking to cut calories and get more volume from the meal, try thinly slicing a potato into crisps/triangles and oven baking them. :)
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Check my profile pics (on IPad and can't post :/) for some nachoey goodness - chicken nachos.

Ah man, those are some insanely good looking nachos! Yum!
  • pkimmel
    Options
    Found this on skinnytaste.com, I haven't tried them but they look delish!

To celebrate Cinco De Mayo, or any day, enjoy these loaded nachos without the guilt.

We had these for dinner but this is also great for lunch or as an appetizer. This recipe was inspired by Rocco Dispirito's new book, Now Eat This. I made some adjustments to his original recipe and it was DELICIOUS. High in fiber and lower in fat than regular nachos, which would be about 22 points if you ate these out.

Skinny Loaded Nachos with Turkey, Beans and Cheese
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: about 14 chips • Old Points: 7 pts • Points+: 9 pts
    Calories: 347 • Fat: 9.4 g • Protein: 27.1 g • Carb: 40.6 g • Fiber: 7.1 g

Ingredients:

4 oz baked tortilla chips (I used Baked Tostitos Scoops)
    8 oz 99% lean turkey breast
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp garlic powder
    salt and pepper
    1 cup fat free spicy black bean dip
    1 1/3 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese like Weight Watchers
    2 cups pico de gallo salsa
    1/2 cup light sour cream
    2/3 cup fresh cilantro

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425°. Place 1 oz (about 14) chips on four oven-proof dishes or one large baking sheet.

Heat a large nonstick sauté pan over high heat. Add turkey. Season with cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper and sauté until cooked through, breaking up meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon. When cooked, add bean dip and mix well.

Spoon the turkey mixture over the chips and sprinkle the cheese on top. Bake until cheese melts, about 6 minutes.

Remove the nachos from the oven, top with pico de gallo, sour cream, cilantro and jalepeños. Serve immediately.
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Just my two cents here, but if you're looking to cut calories and get more volume from the meal, try thinly slicing a potato into crisps/triangles and oven baking them. :)

The tortillas I use have 100 calories for a BIG wrap. A potato has 161ish calories and doesnt go with nachos in my opinion.

Baking a potato like that is a good french frie sub though