Strength Training…. How to Begin?

Options
I want to start strength training and building muscle. I’ve done some weight lifting in the past at the gym, but I really don’t know how heavy to go, how many reps etc…. so I would just rotate machines for 20 minutes, do my cardio stuff and head home. I never really saw any difference in inches or anything though, so I stopped doing the weights.
Any recommendations for me? Helpful websites?
Also should mention, I’ve got over 100lbs to lose so please don’t recommend P90x or Insanity LOL…. it just ain’t gonna happen at this point in time. :laugh:

Replies

• wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 and New Rules of lifting for women. :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If your actively trying to lose weight, eating at a deficit, you won't gain muscle, really. You might see some "newbie" gains, but you typically have to eat at a surplus to gain significant muscle. That being said, ditch the machines. Go to the free weights. Get a book like New Rules of Lifting. There are several websites with videos of good form. Go for a weight that fatigues your muscles in 8-12 reps for 2-3 sets. Perhaps start with a full body routine 3 times a week, deads, bench, squats, overhead press and bent over rows are a good place to start.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I just got the new rules for lifting book for women, that's where I was told to start and it's a pretty good read so far
  • Terrytriesharder
    Terrytriesharder Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength book and program, teaches you all the basics and teaches you them SAFELY, cant emphasize that last bit enough.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    you just got the best information/advice in the first two posts. I wouldn't even read much more lol
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    If your actively trying to lose weight, eating at a deficit, you won't gain muscle, really. You might see some "newbie" gains, but you typically have to eat at a surplus to gain significant muscle. That being said, ditch the machines. Go to the free weights. Get a book like New Rules of Lifting. There are several websites with videos of good form. Go for a weight that fatigues your muscles in 8-12 reps for 2-3 sets. Perhaps start with a full body routine 3 times a week, deads, bench, squats, overhead press and bent over rows are a good place to start.

Focus on those lifts and also pull ups. Newbie gains can actually be pretty significant if you know what you're doing. Unfortunately, newbies typically don't. If your looking for a strength based program I highly recommend Jim Wendler's plan 5/3/1. My lifts tripled in like four months on it. If you'r eloping for a hypertrophy program, I like DC but some people prefer HST.