Is Anyone Else Dealing w/ Injury Creating Painful Workouts?

Options
HI! I'm new here, only 3 days in recording my attempts to lose some weight. I broke my leg 2 years ago this May (snapped both bones in my lower left leg requiring surgery with a rod put into my tibia, screws at knee and ankle). I had already battled weight issues for years, especially after having my daughter. I've tried low carb, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, LA Weight Loss, Alli, etc etc....always up and down and struggling.

After I broke my leg I was down for months recuperating. Took rehab to regain use of the muscles damaged by the bone shattering. Walking with crutches, and then the boot, really screwed up my hips and lower back (bringing back the sciatica I'd had when I was pregnant!). I work from home and mainly online so between the injury downtime and a lower activity level I gained more weight than ever before.

So now I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. In the summer and fall I tried walking outside but the pain to my knee where the screws are and my sciatica I could do very little. I'm trying walking with the Wii (jogging, sort of, when I can)...hula hoop on the Wii, yoga hoping that will help the muscles get stronger. I've considered Zumba but jumping onto the left leg hurts and scares me to death (though I realize it's not as if it will break!).

Anyone else struggling with painful, physical issues that impede working out?

Replies

• mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Mine is not nearly as severe as yours but over 5 years ago I fell on my elbow with my entire body weight at work.

There was no broken bones or torn ligaments and I went for months of physical therapy as I could not lift a gallon of milk without the elbow "popping" and having excruciating pain go up and down my arm.

Even now I still have issues with it, they told me at the time I would more than likely get some form of arthritis in my elbow (which I think I did.) So for me doing strength training is difficult, I cannot lift heavy, do push ups or planks without having issues with my elbow.

I will say for me though is to start small and work your way up, when I started last year a 10lbs dumbbell was excruciating, now I can do 12.5 and it's not excruciating but I can definitely feel it.

Can you check with your physical therapist or a doctor about exercises you can do to accommodate your injury ?

And if walking makes your leg ache.. Zumba will kill you its alot of quick fast movements... you should probably build up to that. :)
  • jaclynZ
    Options
    I broke my left femur the end of 2011 (awful car accident)...it was rodded as well. I was walking 1 mo after surgery, running about 3-4 mo after. But i have knee/cartilage damage and horrible hip pain on a daily basis. I just work through it :/ feel free to message me if you want to chat more about this... i know where youre coming from
  • missmaggiethecat
    Options
    oh gosh, thanks for the replies. I don't even think I realized how bad it's been til I see these posts....the pain where the screws are, tha lower back pain.....and moreover, the fear of even doing anything where I "land" on that leg. My injury happened because I stepped left of my body, over several steps, busy doing things and landed down at the bottom on that leg. Sat up and looked down at my leg, hanging askew with my foot literally dangling. It was brutal (I take anti anxiety meds now to deal with the PTSD from it....you have no idea what it's like to see and feel your body snap like that). I'm trying to work throught the pain. But everything weakened during my down time, and I'm still dealing with fear of falling on that leg.
  • missmaggiethecat
    Options
    294323_10150370245249797_513204796_8206798_238265650_n.jpg
  • missmaggiethecat
    Options
    blergh, I give up.
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I broke my wrist 2 years ago and I have 8 pins and a plate to hold it together. Most agonizing pain! It still bothers me on a daily basis and I can't do pushups like regular people, I have to modify or go on my knees. I also have really loose ankle and knee joints- I've sprained my ankle maybe 5 times(?)- I own my own set of crutches- ha!, and my knees have popped out several times- ouch! I also had back surgery to remove a cyst in August which was also so painful.

Anyway, when all my crap is bothering me I do a video called Yoga for weight loss, or I modify the Firm videos that I am doing, and lunge gently or without weights. Just take it slow and really listen to your body. I finally am this time around. I can't tell you how many times I tried to jump back into running over the past 4 years and ended up miserable with a fractured shin.

Feel free to friend me!
    D
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I think you need to make the IMG in the brackets lowercase?
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you are going through. I've never even had a broken bone before but I do have arthritis in both knees. I tore ligaments and crushed cartilage in my left knee nearly 20 years ago and I still worry about it not supporting me if I jump. I walk when the weather is nice and my knees aren't hurting me and I ride a stationary bike when I can't walk. I'd love to swim if I had a pool.
  • jak12345
    jak12345 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My knees aren't the best so I've shied away from running or other high impact workouts and gone with biking. In winter I ride the bikes at the Y -- recumbent bikes are relatively comfortable and I think have strengthened my joints and helped me manage my weight.
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've got screws,plates and cement in my back and they took my left lower lobe of my lung out. It is not easy at all. Aquatic physical therapy has been my secret weapon.
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    WOW that is some nasty looking break in your leg. I too suffer from pain on a daily basis but I take medicine and try to push through the pain. All of my exercise is sitting down and strength training with weights.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    HI! I'm new here, only 3 days in recording my attempts to lose some weight. I broke my leg 2 years ago this May (snapped both bones in my lower left leg requiring surgery with a rod put into my tibia, screws at knee and ankle). I had already battled weight issues for years, especially after having my daughter. I've tried low carb, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, LA Weight Loss, Alli, etc etc....always up and down and struggling.

After I broke my leg I was down for months recuperating. Took rehab to regain use of the muscles damaged by the bone shattering. Walking with crutches, and then the boot, really screwed up my hips and lower back (bringing back the sciatica I'd had when I was pregnant!). I work from home and mainly online so between the injury downtime and a lower activity level I gained more weight than ever before.

So now I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. In the summer and fall I tried walking outside but the pain to my knee where the screws are and my sciatica I could do very little. I'm trying walking with the Wii (jogging, sort of, when I can)...hula hoop on the Wii, yoga hoping that will help the muscles get stronger. I've considered Zumba but jumping onto the left leg hurts and scares me to death (though I realize it's not as if it will break!).

Anyone else struggling with painful, physical issues that impede working out?

I have w knees that are shot doc says its time for replacement. I do water aerobics and really work out hard. I m not a good swimmer or I know it would work to swim laps. Also I work the upper body with lt. Weights and cable weights. I can do recumbent bike and the two abductor machines at the gym and they really make my legs stronger without pressure on knees. Those might work for you. Don't give up. Justmake adjustments. Just think if you don't do it now it will just be harder later. Best wishes
  • cherrymoonj
    Options
    Hi! You are very brave for doing what you can to exercise. I've been basically sedentary for 4 years, due to a low back injury, spinal degeneration and bursitis. There are 8 stairs to my house which I take 2 footed like a child just learning. A year ago I had to rest half way down but now I can make it to the car. I don't have to use my walker or cane in the house any more. When I shop I get let out at the door so I can walk to the scooters. If there are none I have to leave, walker doesn't help enough. Thank God my family compensates for all the little household chores I used to take for granted. I have a seat in my shower since I can't even stand that long.

After all that I must say you've given me perspective...there's always someone whose condition is more difficult.
    Anyway I've been off and on here for a while, my weight loss is severely impeded by lack of exercise. I start physical therapy back next week and have started to use a little "pedal bike", just the pedals with my own chair. The going is sooo slow since everything from my midriff to my knees are in chronic pain, but trying to stay encouraged. Thanks for the yoga idea,I'm excited to try it.

Thanks for listening, it's good to talk to people who understand pain and want to learn how not let it define us.
  • missmaggiethecat
    Options
    Thanks all of you for your replies! Sorry to hear about all of your struggles, but in a way it's nice to hear similar stories. I'm just going to keep pushing as best I can....doing the Island "Run" on Wii fit (which for me is part brisk walking, but I can jog a little!) is my max right now. Yoga and strengthening my core is helping my back for sure. Posture makes such a difference!
  • darkangel1986
    Options
    I suffer from runners knee and yes some exercise's do hurt a lot like bending of the knee i asked my doctor about this and he suggested doing exercise's that will build muscle around the area with out useing my body weight such as using ankle weights with leg exercise's that dont invole standing to help build muscle with out much iritation
  • MelyndaWaldner
    MelyndaWaldner Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have currently a torn ACL, and I have been working out. I just try and stay away from jumping or any lateral movements. Lunges hurt my knee, so i usually do them with a bosu ball. I am trying to get over my fear of running and the treadmill.... Good luck :)