Post Workout Meals - Protein

Options
MFP Friends,

I have a question regarding eating after a workout...

I normally workout in the evening and finish my workouts after 9:00PM. I've heard it's good to consume some sort of Protein after a work out, but why? Also, I try not to really eat anything after 8:00PM. What are the pros and cons to my workout time, eating time, and what I eat post workout.

Oh, and I typically do about 1/2 to 1 hour of cardio and burn between 600 and 1200 calories in a workout.

Thanks for the help and advise.:smile:

Replies

• mariabrii
    Options
    I work out pretty late too but I always eat dinner at least an hour to three hours prior. I almost always shoot back a smoothie after a workout (especially after a really hard one) because I have heard that your muscles absorb the most nutrients within an hour after a workout. I am not sure how valid that claim is but I stick to that theory because it sounds good! Also you may want to throw some protein in if you are doing any kind of muscle building, it helps restore muscles after a workout and you won't feel as sore (you will still feel sore though!). My boyfriend recently started taking Whey after a workout and Casein before bed. Whey protein is good for you for after your workouts, it helps rebuild and refuel your muscles. Casein however should be taken at night just before bed because it helps rebuild muscle while you sleep (That is what it says on the container at least!). Its up to you though if you want to eat or not after a workout, it doesn't have to be a big meal but something to replenish your self is recommended for sure!
  • psheppa
    Options
    Thanks Mariabrii I will check into the protein stuff. I normally have to wait an hour after I eat befor I can do a good workout.
  • jaclynZ
    Options
    your body needs protein after a workout to repair and build new muscle - especially if you are doing weights. they say about 20-25 grams. (message me if you have more questions or want post workout food ideas!) you also need a carb to go with this. you don't need to follow the whole "no eatnig after8pm..." whatever "rule". It's actually fine, especially if its protein, so your boday can refuel while you sleep. if you starve yourself for hours before bed you may not sleep well actually. make sure its 30 min befor eyou actually go to sleep to reduce any gastric reflux.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    MFP Friends,

I have a question regarding eating after a workout...

I normally workout in the evening and finish my workouts after 9:00PM. I've heard it's good to consume some sort of Protein after a work out, but why? Also, I try not to really eat anything after 8:00PM. What are the pros and cons to my workout time, eating time, and what I eat post workout.

Oh, and I typically do about 1/2 to 1 hour of cardio and burn between 600 and 1200 calories in a workout.

Thanks for the help and advise.:smile:

You can eat after 8:00PM and do not have to have protein immediately after working out. Also moar lifting less cardio imo
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    If you are ingesting an adequate amount of protein (1 gram per lb of lean body mass) over the course of the day, it doesn't matter when you eat it. The anabolic window is about 24 hours.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Acg67 and mmapags have it dead on. As far as eating late... it is only a problem if you are eating too much. If you are within your calorie requirements it is of no consequence.

Hope this helps
  • psheppa
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help.
  • lotusspark
    Options
    Have you tried almond b utter+apple?