Tracking sugar

Options
Is tracking sugar really that important for someone who is NOT diabetic, doesn't have a lot of fat to lose and is mostly coming from more natural sources like fruit, veggies and raw honey? I have non fat plain Greek yogurt which has sugars in it. I wonder if I should switch to fuller fat Greek yogurt.....i like the non fat since it;s lighter in calories and a lot higher in protein...

Replies

• alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    technically no its not that important if you are not diabetic... but if you are trying to lose the last bit of fat you may have this IMO might hamper your efforts.... i never tracked sugars until recently and just started and have already noticed some changes. So i do think it does help but i guess it just depends on what your goals are... i never worry much about fruit or veggie sugars.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Given the scenario you presented, I would say no.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic then no....I guess it doesn't matter. (not a doctor, just my opinion) I track it but am always way under. I was pre-diabetic in February 2012 but I'm not anymore. I know which fruits have the lower sugar levels and stick with those.
  • ldbuster0
    Options
    Someone on this site said they lose weight better if they keep their carbs and sugars low. I have tried tracking sugar, but I always go over. I like fruit to much and sometimes I eat candy or cookies. I'm basically trying to keep my carbs, proteins, and fat at my macros, but sometimes that is difficult too. I'm still trying to get used to a lot of things. I just started in January so I have plenty of time.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I do track sugar. I think it has helped my weight loss. It does make it hard because I like fruit and it has a high sugar count. I know it is a different type of sugar but I like to keep everything under except my protein. I try not to eat back my exercise calories too. I will eat some fruit and then try to hold down everything else with sugar
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I only track refined sugar, not sugars from fruits...etc. Seems to be helping me.
  • shlevon
    shlevon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Imo sugar is only a useful thing to track in the sense that it's often a proxy for refined/junk food intake.

My sugar intake can actually be fairly high, for example, but that's because I tend to make a good percentage of my carbohydrate intake fresh fruit. My body composition doing this is good, as are my health metrics (e.g. lipid panel) and performance in the gym. Insofar as fresh fruit is nutrient-dense, low on calories, and a fairly satiating source of calories, this means my sugar intake doesn't "mean" what it would in a person who's getting most of their sugar from refined junk (sugary breakfast cereals, ice cream, cookies, etc).
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I find it annoying to track sugar because it doesn't differentiate between sugar from sources like milk and fruit that are "good" and junk calories from added sugars. Of course the same could be said with fats and carbs. LOL
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I pay little to no attention to sugar intake, as I do not have a medical concern to do so. I pay more attention to my overall macros when hitting my calorie goal.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have trouble keeping my sugar under; but like you, most of my sugar is from fruit. I have about 2 pieces of fruit a day, and that alone generally goes over my sugar allowance. It's a bit frustrating but I try to just not worry about the fruit too much. It's supposed to be good for you right?
  • tjham1
    tjham1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I find it annoying to track sugar because it doesn't differentiate between sugar from sources like milk and fruit that are "good" and junk calories from added sugars. Of course the same could be said with fats and carbs. LOL

Same here. I added it to my diary to track, and after a few days, took it back off! ;-)
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

Same here. I added it to my diary to track, and after a few days, took it back off! ;-)

I once had it on a drove me nuts. I stopped eating fruit for a little while but couldn't do it. I turned it off and now making sure most of the sugar im consuming is from fruits or raw honey, veggies, dairy and the occasional treat which won't hurt if in moderation. Never pop....I cant drink pop anyways...it hurts way too much. Even a sip can be unbearable pain in my stomach.