Maintenance calories

Options
cheri03
cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
I am now on weight maintenance. I am eating about 1700 calories a day and maintaining. I exercise 5 times a week (cardio and strength), sometimes more. Every site I use including MFP says I should consume about 2200 cal on exercise days and 1900ish on non ex days. Am I not eating enough and should be anyway??? I do put factors such as my age and gender in b/c I am older.

Replies

• FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's all based on math formulas and assumes everyone is the same. If 1700 cals works for your body and you aren't gaining or losing and you dont feel hungry I wouldn't change. If you feel like you could eat more and you feel comfortable doing that you can. It's really just trial and error to see what works best for you.
  • hsougaris
    hsougaris Posts: 3
    Options
    First - 73 pounds lost, that is AMAZING! Congratulations on really making it work! Second, like the person above stated, it is all a basic math computation but each person's body works a little different. Use the calories as a guideline but go with what feels right to your body. Continue to monitor your weight closely so that you can be cautious not to throw your body into starvation mode where it will start storing everything. Again - Great Job!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your substantial weight loss!!! I agree with blj014. Definitely just tamper with it and see what works for you. Try a couple weeks doing what you're doing. If you gain, eat less. If you lose, eat more. Or try exercising less if you end up losing.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think this amount of calories is good but then you always worry about not enough.

Thanks for the congrats as well. It was soooo worth doing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!