Any running advice?

WullieP
WullieP Posts: 5
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi

Joined 2 weeks ago and great site to give a bit of motivation.
Managed to shift 6lbs in 2 weeks just by monitoring what I'm eating but 54lbs to go, so long road ahead!

Wondering if anyone has any running advice. To try and get some consistent exercise going I'm targeting a half marathon in Sept. Yip aim high (or stupid!) eh! I managed it 6 years ago but obviously let things go.

My level just now is 2.5mile in 30 minutes non stop on the treadmill, not the best.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Replies

• You should find a half-marathon training guide and it will really help you get to your goal with a consistent program. A good training program is Hal Higdon's, http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm. You can choose what type of runner you are (novice, intermediate, advanced) and the program is tailored to your needs and will help you gradually increase your milage.

Good luck with your running!
  • i would suggest for the first week to 1 day (sunday or monday), jog as far as you can without stopping. 3 days that week jog 2 miles. 2 days a week do a 1/4 mile sprint (one loop on a track) and then one day of the week you should rest and recuperate.

then the next week, try to make the farthest jog longer. jog 2.5 miles. spring 1/2 of a mile. and just keep working towards your goal. make sure to not overwhelm yourself. :smile:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,206 Member
    Have you ever seen finding Nemo? I sing to myself a lot " Just keep running, just keep running..." I am aiming for marathon next oct. so I am with you.

Make sure you are drinking enough water.
    Make sure you stretch! I don't even stretch enough but I know some people don't at all.
    Take it slow when you do longer runs, they don't need to be fast unless you are racing for a time but even then you don't need them to be fast for awhile.
  • amtrust
    amtrust Posts: 178
    I just started running last week. My older brother runs all the time. One thing he mentioned is pose running...easier on the knees /legs.
    Here is a URL for an explanation...and the "experiment" they used to prove it's effectiveness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7zEruVUwr4

Good luck!
  • pojo30
    pojo30 Posts: 62
    There is this great book called Marathon by Jeff Galloway. It breaks down how to run and how to work through problems. He also has one that is just for women. Good Luck!
  • set smaller goals each week and do interval runs on the treadmill. That will build up your speed and boost your metabolism. A good treadmill workout to follow is by Bill Phillips, Body for Life. it will inspire you. good luck.
  • abredbenner
    abredbenner Posts: 125 Member
    You should find a half-marathon training guide and it will really help you get to your goal with a consistent program. A good training program is Hal Higdon's, http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm. You can choose what type of runner you are (novice, intermediate, advanced) and the program is tailored to your needs and will help you gradually increase your milage.

Good luck with your running!

agreed! Following a structured training plan works for me. You can also go on Runnersworld.com for training plans. I think you can join Training Peaks for free from the RW website. You can download a training plan and you will get an email eveyday telling you what you should be doing. Don't worry if you have to walk on the longer distance, you will eventually get there. It's a half marathon not a sprint:)
  • heebiejeebie
    heebiejeebie Posts: 32 Member
    www.fetcheveryone.com is great for keeping track of your training so you can see how much you are improving!
This discussion has been closed.