Not sexy?

Options
folieeadeuxx
folieeadeuxx Posts: 83 Member
So I'm getting braces and I feel so lame :( My little sister is 13 and is done with braces and here I am getting them. Is this just not sexy, a girl with braces? I feel a little old for them... But I need them for my overbite which because of my age may not move much. Anywho thanks in advance for answers.

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    If a guy is shallow enough to be put off by you having braces, then you are probably better off without them.

I know what you mean though, I need to get braces too and it is going to be embarrassing having them as an adult.
  • mrskperry
    mrskperry Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about invisalign? That might be a solution to your feelings. If not, I actually know people who think braces are pretty adorable, not to mention just keep the end result in mind! Straight teeth are a huge turn on for a lot of people. (I can't date someone with jacked up teeth...) You'll be just adding to your marketability!
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I hear braces are in style now! You can get different colors I think too. Speaking of style, supposedly it's all the rage in Japan to have snaggle teeth! lol! go figure.

you're adorable, braces or not. :flowerforyou:
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you get cute rubber bands :) it'll be fine! Better to do it now if you need them than wait until you're much older. Oh, and wear your retainer when you have them off or it'll have been for naught--my brother had them when we were kids and he never wore his retainer and his teeth became crooked again.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My daughter has braces and her ortho told me that kids are getting braces even when they don't need them just because they think they are cool. I don't know what parent would pay for that but whatever works for them.

And you can get them in so many different colors. My daughters are hot pink right now.
  • Blobby02
    Options
    I HATED my braces but I met an awful lot of people who love them. Honestly I cant begin to express how worth it it was. I had bunny rabbit teeth (even my dentist said it was a abnormally large overbite) now its completely gone and if I had to go through braces again to get this confidence I would do it a million times over. If you really really dont want them I had two friends who got their jaw broken and moved to fix their problem but that's only if the problem is an over bite. Hang on in there hun i'm sure you will look wonderful no matter what :)
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I finally got braces when I was 21. It wasn't all that bad and really not many people even noticed. I wore them for the amount of time I was suppose to but you know over the years my teeth just went back to they way they were. I don't trust orthodontists, They will tell you that you NEED this or that, when in reality you don't. Unless you have a huge gap in the two front ones or can't eat properly, I would for go the braces. I wish I would have left mine alone and saved myself the pain and money.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    NO do not get invisilign!!! it is the worse thing u can do.. braces hurt no matter what and invisilign is no different.. I had braces and it was during a critical time in middle school- also the time when that show braceface was just getting popular.. ahh i was called so many names BUT GUESS WHAT!!! MY SMILE IS SEXY AS HELLLLL NOW! lol you wont regret them believe me..

and if someone doesnt like u for having braces he is the the kind of guy u want to be with anyways.... :)
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    You're not alone! I'm 18 and will be getting them too.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I got them when I was 26 and got them off at 30, nothing wrong with it unless people are shallow.
  • RachelDenise30
    RachelDenise30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Didn't Gwen Stefani get braces like ten years ago in her thirties? She could wear a head gear and a trash bag and still be sexy as hell!!
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i had them when i was in my late teens. i was wearing them in my senior pix and i still looked cute. i wouldnt worry abt it. i dont really know why they say they fix and overbite...they dont they just teach you to keep your jaw forward. ( i had them for that reason too)
  • ValerieZ84
    ValerieZ84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My husband had braces at 20 when I met him. Didnt bother me at all. If people cant look past something like that (and they had with him, he thought I wouldnt date him because of it) then they arent worth your time. :wink:
  • kelfer80
    kelfer80 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You're beautiful and if anyone gives you a hard time just punch em in the throat! lol Just kidding, stab em with a fork! No seriously if you exude confidence everyone around you will be drawn to you NOT your braces!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    There are so many different kinds of braces these days. It's not like it was when I was a kid and you got called metal mouth. You can get clear ones and the kind that go behind your teeth and then there are the snap in kind. One of my professors has that and she's in her 60's. You'll be out of them in no time. I wouldn't worry about it. If someone doesn't like you because of your braces they were not worth it anyway.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Count your blessings. A few years ago my wife had to have her jaw broken to straighten teeth that would not budge.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    For some guys it's a major plus!

Probably not guys you really would want to marry or anything, but, you know. Plus!
  • USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was in my 30's before I could afford braces... be thankful you can do it now and enjoy the benifits
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My daughter has braces and her ortho told me that kids are getting braces even when they don't need them just because they think they are cool. I don't know what parent would pay for that but whatever works for them.

And you can get them in so many different colors. My daughters are hot pink right now.

Oh i forgot about the colors! Our daughter had hers changed depending on the season or holiday. I was shocked when she wanted the hot pink bands for valentines day but just when I thought she couldn't shock me again she got the orange ones for Halloween lol
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am 36 and am getting braces next month. I understand the way you feel. But I am me with or without braces.
    And in the long run it will help me in so many ways. Im looking at the big picture and staying focused on whats important! :bigsmile:
    Good luck to you! Before you know it, they will be off :smile: