Can't. Stop. Peeing.

Options
I know I'm supposed to be drinking more water but I can't stand peeing all the time!!! About an hour after I start drinking it, I just keep peeing, like every 15 minutes. It gets so bad that I dread having to go to town (we live about 25 minutes from the nearest small town and an hour from the larger towns) b/c I can't make it all the way there without having to pull over!
Someone said it will get better but it's been almost 2 weeks since I really started trying to drink more and it's not getting better.
Help!

Replies

• RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's supposed to get better as well but when I start drinking water I'm going every 30 minutes almost. Do you have a high sodium intake that is constantly being flushed out?
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    How much are you drinking?!
  • surfbabe
    surfbabe Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm experiencing the same thing. Since I started dieting and exercising I'm only drinking water (at least 8 glasses) and I pee all the time. Twice an hour mostly. It's pretty ridiculous! I use to never drink water; I really never drank anything for that matter. I could go all day with just one sprite or tea. I know realize I was probably dehydrated all the time but oh well. hahhaah!

Anyhow I think its normal and I just see it as a good thing and yes I hope the frequency dies down too!!!
  • chandnikhondji
    chandnikhondji Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Next to that you are going through the change and have to get used to much drinking... have you checked your blood sugar? The time before i got pretty bad and then collapsed and got diagnosed with diabetis i had this as well and still have it when i go over a certain blood sugar. Maybe check it just to be sure, pharmacies can do that if you don't wanna go to a doc.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Heh heh! I think my boss is about to kill me if I keep going every 20 min!
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I still have that problem!!!! But oh well a small price to pay to reach our goals. =)
  • shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    :laugh:You are preaching to the choir!
    I try to drink a gallon a day!
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    This week I started pushing myself to get my 8 glasses of water in. I am going to bathroom at least twice as much as usual. Hopefully the hydration will aid my weight loss and my body will get use to it, as time goes on!
  • oliveoil7979
    oliveoil7979 Posts: 112
    Options
    Yeah, I am doing the same. I will admit I don't really pay attention at home to how much I pee, but at work I go during my breaks...twice at lunch...and usually in between my breaks. So that's like 7-8 times in a 9 hour period.

It's a big pain sometimes, but I think it so worth it in the long run. I just feel better with all this water I am drinking. I also live in Arizona, which is pretty much like living on the sun during the summer. :laugh: so dehydration is always a real concern.

Just stick with it, and plan ahead. If you are going any where when going to the bathroom wont be easy, don't drink so much an hour or so before you go, and start back up again when you get home.
  • Rivah67
    Rivah67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    so glad its not just me that has this problem lol :laugh: I only ever used to drink diet coke and never had to wee as much as I do now.
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Glad I am not the only one! I workout first thing in the morning, bladder is empty so workout is pee free. :) During the day I go very often. I have talked to my doctor - Kegels 4x a day is recommended- haha - wish I could remember to do them or want to do them!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    "Kegels 4x a day is recommended- haha - wish I could remember to do them or want to do them!"

Reference the above remark---Kegeling is great for bladder control AND for helping the muscles of your reproductive tract. That might give you incentive to keep practicing it.
  • sophieenefer
    Options
    If your drinking fizzy water then it would be a diuretic so you will have to wee constantly.

If your drinking normal water then the problem may be your listening to your first bladder signal when you chould listen to the third. If you have a healthy sized bladder it will tell you at about 300mls you need a wee but you shouldn't. Then you get another warning later on which you should still not listen to. The next time you need a wee is when you should go. If not you risk shrinking your bladder. It just needs time to be retrained.
  • thendrick
    thendrick Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't really keep track but I'm probably drinking about 8 glasses (not an excessive amount but certainly more than I used to). I'm pretty sure I have a tiny bladder to begin with too. It was horrible when I was pregnant!
    I try to limit it before bed, but if I workout then I have to have at least one glass and then I end up getting up a few times to pee during the night.
    Ugh.
  • jlo7
    jlo7 Posts: 45
    Options
    If your drinking fizzy water then it would be a diuretic so you will have to wee constantly.

If your drinking normal water then the problem may be your listening to your first bladder signal when you chould listen to the third. If you have a healthy sized bladder it will tell you at about 300mls you need a wee but you shouldn't. Then you get another warning later on which you should still not listen to. The next time you need a wee is when you should go. If not you risk shrinking your bladder. It just needs time to be retrained.
    How much is 300 ml in cups? So i should try to hold it and it will train my bladder to keep it in longer?
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Maybe cut back to 6 glasses, and work your way up to 8. I have a 1 liter bottle I carry around and at first one was too much. Now I can drink three without thinking about it. You have to give your body time to adjust. :)
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    300 ml is just over 1 cup. and yes holding your urine alittle longer will train your bladder and let it 'stretch' out a bit. good luck.
  • summersmi
    summersmi Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Holding your urination is probably good advice for females. But from what I have read men should not hold it too much. It can be damaging to "performance" as it puts undue stress on the prostrate or something along that line. Having said that I drink around 10 to twelve cups on most days and still only pee about 6 times so sounds like you are going way too much.
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good advice from my neurosurgeon: Trust your hypothalamus. It will let you know when you're thirsty--and you're not thirsty before you're thirsty...the key is learning what actual thirst feels like (a lot of us mistake it for appetite, and do wait to drink...once you're keyed into what it really feels like, you won't get to the point of being dehydrated at all.) The average adult needs to drink about 2 liters of water a day, and just a little bit more if they're consuming caffeine, and a little more than that if you're working out hard. If you're peeing every 30 minutes, you're likely drinking more than you need to. Six times a day is average for a normally hydrated adult. If you're urinating and it's very pale yellow or almost clear, you're drinking enough...there's no reason to take in more.

Only reason I know any of this is because in 2002 I started drinking like a fish--so thirsty all the time that I was slugging back any cold liquid I could in huge quantities--thirsty enough to eye the fish tanks at Walmart and think "that might be enough water"--and was peeing every 15 minutes. That's a bad combination...

First thought was diabetes, but my blood sugar was perfectly normal. Long story short, the marathon drinking and peeing was caused by a pituitary tumor which caused Diabetes Insipidus (what one normally thinks of diabetes is Diabetes Mellitus, or "sugar diabetes." What I have would more aptly be called "water diabetes." Because of it, I have to be as balanced as I can in water consumption, not too little nor too much, depending on how well my meds are working.

The big thing I learned with this is that you can really screw up your electrolytes by drinking too much or too little. If you're drinking so much that you're peeing every 30 minutes, you're probably diluting the amount of sodium in your blood; if you're not drinking enough, just the opposite.

If you're drinking that much because you are truly that thirsty, then you need to see a doctor.

If you're drinking that much because the Internet said to... just remember that there is to much of a good thing, and water intoxication is not a happy thing to put yourself through.

Yellow or dark urine = drink more
    Pale or clear = you're drinking enough ... shoot for that instead of consuming too much.
  • SayRah
    SayRah Posts: 104
    Options
    Try drinking smaller amounts at one time. If you drink too fast, your body can't hold it, but if you drink slower, your body has time to take in water.