What am I doing wrong?

Options
I'm working out and watching what I eat. The scale isn't moving much for me. Up one week, lose the same 2 pounds the next. Help? My diary is public. Can you see my workouts too? (idk)

I'd like some help with figuring out a plan.

Replies

• CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. My scale doesn't move much lately. However my legs are looking more toned, my pants are falling off of me and a few other places I can see a change occurring. It is hard to not see the scale move but perhaps mine is unreliable. I think for me I need to put forth more effort in varying my exercise and varying the intensity of it. I'd appreciate any suggestions as well. Maybe I helped you some. My advice is to not stress so much over the number on the scale but pay attention to the other changes going on with your body. :flowerforyou:
  • kimberly428
    kimberly428 Posts: 237
    Options
    Hello! not sure if this is anything...but I see you are gaining a lot of extra calories back from working out. I have heard that some machines say burned calories are much higher that the real deal and this site as well seems much higher. For example, I rode the bike this morning, the bike said 200 cal but MFP said like 403, so I just put what the bike said. Just an idea. I hope you figure it out!
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Are your pants fitting any better? Maybe you have hit a dreaded plateau. I did notice in your food diary that you went over on the fat every day that I looked. I am not sure how much fat that is normal for weight lose. I also noticed that you are eating more of your calories towards the end of the day. I was told to eat more during the day and morning so that you body can use it. I was also told to keep my meals 300-400 calories each. That would be my guess. I hope that helps you.
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read the 4 posts at the beginning of the General Diet and weight loss section go read them. They really point out some different walls most everyone hits at certain points. They really help me stay on track by knowing that most everyone goes thru them and they are not going to last forever. I reread them every now and then just to know what may be coming up. lol So far they have been right on target. :smile:
  • IvoryChopSticks
    IvoryChopSticks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HI, the one thing I noticed is that you don't eat much for breakfast. I would recommend eating balance of protein and complex carbs. For example, 4 egg whites plus 1 whole egg or a protein shake and 1/3 to 1/2 C of Red Mill Rolled oats with cinnamon, 1 Tbs whole flaxseed. The second thing I noticed is that you tend to eat fruit more often. Perhaps limit your fruit and eat more complex carbs like broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, brown rice, etc. If you can get a hold of Tosca Reno's Clean Eating book that is another good resource. Best of luck.
  • mom25kids
    mom25kids Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes, I agree that the machines at the gym varies in calories burned. My elliptical at home will say i burned 400 in 30 minutes at level 3. At the gym it will say 400 in over an hour on level 10. So make sure your workout is intense enough. And then yea, if I put my 30 minutes on elliptical on this site, I have to make sure I change the calroies. the calories it says on here is off. Or for really fast paces or something.

And yes eat earlier. and the fat grams will matter for sure. I was eating all those 100 calorie ice creams and stuff and not losing weight. It is all in the types of calries AND not eating late. :) Hope this helps.
  • bksteve26
    bksteve26 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I think my best suggestion for you would be to tone it down on the snacks. Your snacks should not be more calories than your meals. Try to eat just a piece of fruit or some cottage cheese or toast or something for your snacks and add something else to your actual meals. You might want to stay away from late night snacking as well. Your body will have a harder time burning those calories that are put on later in the night. Hope this helps. GOOD JOB THOUGH AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough! :smile: If you subtract your excecise cals from cals eaten I found for you the last 3 days : 916, 1149, 718... Your body needs at least 1200 cals just to survive. If you don't fuel yourself, your body will think there is a famine and hold on to every last morsel you give it. Try to hit that 1200 mark everyday and you will see your body relax and start letting go of the weight. Peanuts, Peanut butter, cheese, lean meats can add healthy cals to round out your diet and boost the cals. Good luck!

:flowerforyou: Mel
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I would lay off those protein shakes. I think they are good for people who are working on fitness, not so much weight loss. Weight loss takes time!!!
  • livingnlove
    livingnlove Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks all.
    Just want to address a few of the comments.
    1. Breakfast is usually 2 eggs scrambled into 1-1.5 cups of stirfried veggies with .5 tbsp of olive oil.
    2. Protein powder is only on the rare days when I am way under on my protein.
    3. Fat intake is set at 20%, protein at 30% and carbs are 50%. I rarely meet my higher protein goal, and am sometimes over on the fat goal. These are NOT the default settings! I have modified them to have higher protein and less fat. I do eat way less carbs, but when I lowered that goal, the fat went way up, so I leave it.
    4. Snacks. Breakfast is at 7. First small lunch is 11, 2nd meal is 2 pm and dinner is 5:30. Yes, it says afternoon snacks, but I'm really just eating 4 smaller meals plus an evening snack.
    5. I probably am going way over on the exercise calories as I have been dependent on MFP's estimate of calories burned. Hubby said stick with the 1200 goal and if I go a little over no big deal, just need to not try to eat them all.
    6. I am full most of the day. I choose low calorie options for the most part and when I try to get all the calories in then I feel like I'm overeating.

Thanks for your input. :smile: