When I leave the house I eat like crap!

Options
Exactly what I said above, my eating habits are not all that terrible, but I feel like the only way to truly stay on track is to stay home. Anytime I go visit family or even go to work I find myself cheating in some way. Whether its by sneaking a free slice of pizza at the lunch and learn at work or having chips at my parents place during a movie night, I am constantly f***ing up my diet. I am not even the strictest, but I just find myself loosing focus and giving in.

HELP

Replies

• Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I eat better when I eat at home, but then, out there, there are many temptations around us everywhere. I am not always strong enough to say no to temptations and give in and sorry for it later. I hear stuff about mind over matter or if you really want this, you will just do it. Sounds easy. I know I need to be stronger and just shun those temptations, but it's hard and I don't succeed many times. Sometimes, I can do it, but other times it's really difficult so I know where you are coming from. We can support each other. Friend me if you like.
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When I was losing & really trying to change my habits I carried snacks with me. Usually almonds & baby carrots. I'd carry my water bottle everywhere & eat before I went out if necessary. I didn't allow myself to give into temptation because I knew my willpower wasn't strong enough to just eat 1 cookie. So I avoided it. It gets easier over time.
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Whenever I find myself hungering for a snack, I basically try to budget 200 calories or less. I enter it into MFP as soon as I can and usually I'll make a sacrifice on what I drink later in the day.

For instance, instead of ordering a latte (i.e. 150 cal), I'll get a green tea (i.e. 0 cal) and call it even.

Water & tea have become my best friends since I started to try and lose weight.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The phone ap helps me. When I'm tempted to grab five cookies at work, I look them up in the app first and discover they're 75 calories a cookie and only grab one... or none.

If I'm going out to eat, I look at the menu and the nutrition info before I leave the house.

I think to myself "Yes, I can have snack X, but that might mean I need to do half an hour of Exercise Y later. Do I still want it?"
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've stopped eating out for the most part because I can't trust myself - or if I do eat out, I try to pick places that have decent healthy menus - Applebees is one of the best - they've got a lot of 550 or under items that are delicious and filling. Subway can also be healthy depending on how you make your sub and I also like Panera (again depends on what you order).

I carry nuts with me for snacks - and keep a tub of them in my locker at work and I don't carry change or dollar bills to avoid the vending machine.

The hard times are when I go to people's houses - I have a church Bible Study every week always held at someone's house and always combined with a potluck and I pretty much have taken to leaving after the Bible Study or just having water to drink - sometimes there are healthy options like fruit or salad or baked chicken that I can have and if I do eat there I count that as my dinner.

I also think before I eat something unhealthy "Now how long will I have to be on the elliptical to work this off?" and I also remember the old saying: "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels."

That being said, there are times when you indulge - on my birthday, I fully intend to eat what I want for dinner and have a piece of cake - as long as I have a sensible diet the majority of the time, one meal won't ruin things.