Paleo Diet for Beginners

Options
I've recently been looking into starting the paleo diet. I did some research online and found a very informative, easy to use website:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

They advertise an app, but it is only for iPhone and I have an Android phone. If you are on the paleo diet and use an app on your Android phone please share it! I would love to have a mobile resource for recipes and info.

Replies

• Feebes77
    Options
    I've also recently become interested in the paleo diet. There's a great documentary about it called "The Perfect Human Diet" I found very informative as a starting point. One of my co-workers brought in a paleo diet cookbook and I had chance to look over some recipes (they look amazing and pretty easy) and I know you can purchase the book on Kindle (free Android Kindle app?). Here's the link for the associated website:

http://everydaypaleo.com/

I'm going to check out the website you posted (just glanced at it, love the cavemen Legos)

I think my biggest problem would be giving up my greek yogurt, so I'm going to just test it out first. I'd be very interested in finding out how anyone else is doing on this though? I'll keep an eye out for any mobile resources I come across and share.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I've also recently become interested in the paleo diet. There's a great documentary about it called "The Perfect Human Diet" I found very informative as a starting point. One of my co-workers brought in a paleo diet cookbook and I had chance to look over some recipes (they look amazing and pretty easy) and I know you can purchase the book on Kindle (free Android Kindle app?). Here's the link for the associated website:

http://everydaypaleo.com/

I'm going to check out the website you posted (just glanced at it, love the cavemen Legos)

I think my biggest problem would be giving up my greek yogurt, so I'm going to just test it out first. I'd be very interested in finding out how anyone else is doing on this though? I'll keep an eye out for any mobile resources I come across and share.

Try the primal blueprint instead. Paleo, but allows some dairy.
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I get A LOT of paleo & primal recipes from the Pinterest app! Just type it into the search.
  • thepaleogirl
    Options
    Hi Ladies. So good to see some of you interested in the Paleo Lifestyle. Whats great about the "Paleo Diet" is that its not really a 'diet' but more of a lifestyle and a change in the way we eat and the way we think about eating. Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. If you get a chance you can sign up for my paleo newsletter where I talk about my introduction and story with the paleo lifestyle at thepaleogirl(.)org

The Paleo Girl
    www.thepaleogirl.org
  • nadia712
    nadia712 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Fast Paleo is a good recipe app - it's got the most recipes out of any I've tried. Primal Feed is good for information and keeping up to date with the latest findings. Unfortunately most of the great Paleo apps are made for iOS (iPhones and iPads). Nom Nom Paleo's cook book app is BEAUTIFUL (but no Android support). Highly recommended if you have an iPad in addition your Android phone.
  • Cherry_star
    Cherry_star Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, a really great read and definitely the direction my eating is heading in since getting my initial bulk of weight off.
  • sapphirewind
    sapphirewind Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hmm I had a friend who's screenname was paleoasian and he was always energetic and running around kicking things, plus he had abs... so I found a forum for it (sorry cannot share here as part of another site) but never really knew the principles of it. However, sometimes when he was broke he'd eat saltines... only. I guess everyone goes off their routine once in a while... I would also like to keep my dairy, yogurt, cheese, coffee...or i'd go insane. lol
  • stevieplsafos
    stevieplsafos Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I recently started the Paleo Diet (today is my 3rd day) and it's been less difficult than I anticipated to cut out the wheat and dairy - dairy especially, as I am a lover of all things dairy - milk, cheese, yogurt, love it all. I've had to get a little creative with my menu planning but honestly the increased conscientiousness of what I'm putting into my body has been an added benefit. I only planned to do this for a week, as an experiment to see if I would feel any different with a drastic diet change. I'm only looking to lose 5ish pounds, I track food more to prevent myself from eating mindlessly. It's only been 3 days and I'm feeling really good- much higher energy levels than usual and less hungry overall. The real test will be to see if my excema gains any relief. Anyways, as a Paleo newbie I thought I'd share my experiences thus far- I'm also tracking the experiment daily on my blog -
    phedorasfeast.blogspot.com