Anyone tried Alli?

Options
I spoke to my Dr today and she said it is one of the best and that researchers say when you stop using it you gain little weight back and most of the other diet pills make you gain it all and then some back. Have any of you tried it? I understand the side effects could be explosive diarrhea and greasy stool/leakage...I'm not too worried about any of that though. Any insight will help. Thank you! :)
**Apparently some readers assume I'm lazy and just want to take a pill to get skinny. I spend AT LEAST 6hrs/wk in the gym and I am on a very strict diet. I'm just in need of some added assistance due to my pcos.**

Replies

• Tecia1970
    Tecia1970 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have good results with it personally. If you decide to try it, let me give you some advice...never assume it's just a fart lol.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    There is nothing Alli can do that MFP or any other balanced, sensible nutrition plan and exercise can't do.

Except make you s**t yourself in public. Alli is awesome at that.
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    Except make you s**t yourself in public. Alli is awesome at that.
    ROFL!!!
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    diet19.gif
  • KansasCowgirl
    Options
    It really is a short-term fix. It just separates the excess fats in your food and you *kitten* them out. So very gross. And soon you'll be like "whatever, I'll eat 7 cupcakes and just take a poop" ... you don't learn to eat nutritious foods that fuel your body.

Castor oil does the same thing if you're really just craving a day of explosive poop.
  • Tecia1970
    Options
    My friend was taking it at the same time I was and was eating whatever she wanted. You are only supposed to have 15 grams of fat per day when you are taking it and she just ate as she pleased. That's why she **** herself three times on a 4 hour drive to Destin, FL. I stuck to the 15 grams of fat but I didn't see any results. This is going to sound gross so stop reading if you get grossed out easily. The booklet said you would see grease floating in the water in the toilet after a bowel movement. I never saw anything. My friend said when she went, it looked like an oil slick lol. It definitely wasn't worth the $60 that I wasted on it.
  • michellenichole83
    michellenichole83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I take a similar supplement that absorbs extra fat using a specially formulated dietary fiber, but doesn't cause loose stools or leakage lol. But I only use it after particularly greasy/high fat meals (which are few and far between these days).
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yay! Anal Leakage!!! Pooping yourself in public would be awesome!
  • pitterpatti
    pitterpatti Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My friend was taking it at the same time I was and was eating whatever she wanted. You are only supposed to have 15 grams of fat per day when you are taking it and she just ate as she pleased. That's why she **** herself three times on a 4 hour drive to Destin, FL. I stuck to the 15 grams of fat but I didn't see any results. This is going to sound gross so stop reading if you get grossed out easily. The booklet said you would see grease floating in the water in the toilet after a bowel movement. I never saw anything. My friend said when she went, it looked like an oil slick lol. It definitely wasn't worth the $60 that I wasted on it.

I just wanted to clarify a point made here. With Alli, you can have up to 15 grams of fat per meal not per day. I stuck to these guidelines and lost about 10 lbs on it, but I blew the diet portion so I stopped taking it as not to have the potential side effects.
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Years ago my GP prescribed the equivalent as she knew I was trying to lose weight. I was exercising and monitoring my food intake as well. I honestly don't think it made much of a difference, for me at least. I still ate the same low-fat foods that I had been eating beforehand, and lost at the same rate. Mind you, the 'fear factor' did make sure that I was too terrified to eat chocolate or anything fatty :laugh: :laugh:
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The makers have admitted it's aversion therapy.

You will be punished/humiliated for straying from your low fat diet.

As a poster above says, you just figure out that if you stop taking Alli, you stop being punished.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    "Treatment Effects" is what they described on the bottle. Riiiiiight.
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few years ago but I personally did not see any noticeable results from it. It is one of those things that may work for some but may not work for others. It is a pill and not necessarily a lifestyle change but at the same time, you do have to change your diet while you are taking it (unless of course you have some weird need to carry around a change of undies with you everyplace you go). If you and your doctor have talked about it and you are both on board with it, then I'd say give it a try and see if it works. Even if you decide do not use it long-term, it may be enough to jump start your weight loss. Good luck :happy:
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Im going to save you time and money by suggesting you find another doctor!

I too have pcos and the only diet that has worked for me is a low carb/low GI diet. Insulin resistance is almost always the cause of weight gain with PCOS, if your doctor knew you had PCOS they should known a low carb diet is the best way to treat the symptoms. Before I was diagnosed I lost a grand total of 3lbs following a SAD in 5 months, after my doctor put me on a low carb diet for my pcos Ive lost amost 70 freaking pounds!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me or go on the PCOS message board we have on here. There is also medications you can be put on to help. I have very limited knowledge on the medications since I only take one for adult acne.

Good luck :)!
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you workout so much and eat very healthily, then why would you even consider using diet pills?
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Incorrect. The pills are only effective when you eat 15g of fat _in each meal_. Around 50g of fat per day in total. If you take a pill with a meal containing less than 15g of fat, you might as well have just not bothered taking it!
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I even tried the Rave diet going completely vegan and that did not work out for me.:glasses: