Vegan trying to get fit :)

Options
Hello,

I am a vegan who has suffered body image issues for many years. After unhealthy means of losing weight, binging, gaining, losing again, gaining, losing etc, I am now "skinny fat" meaning thin but not even close to toned. I am attempting to eat only whole foods, slowly eliminate gluten and sugar and get super fit!
I also want to say that although vegan diets are a lot healthier than the standard American diet, I do it out of compassion, therefore I am still trying to kick some of my junky food habits!

One question for everyone. Can you tell me how to properly add exercises (e.g DVD workouts) and how to add homemade meals that include a wad of ingredients to get the calories burned and calories consumed? For example I will eat a quinoa casserole with hummus and grilled vegetables but not now the exact calorie count unless I type in every ingredient seperately. Is there a way to customize meals so they are logged in for good. It says customize but than it doesn't.

I also do DVD workouts that are generic (e.g Jari Love get ripped) and want to log it in without writing every single set/rep/excersice I did in an hour. I don't know how many reps/sets, I just know that I work damn hard and can't log it and than end up not knowing how many extra cals/fat/protein I need afterwards.

Any help would be great.

If there are any other vegans out there give me a shout!!!

Replies

• treehugger88
    treehugger88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but I'm a vegetarian... I like cheese too much, haha.

That casserole sounds amazing... could you send me the recipe? :P

I'm new too, so I'm sorry I can't help you.

Props to you though, and good luck!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to get fit!! As for custom foods you can enter every ingredient once and at the bottom of that section in your diary there is an option for 'remember meal' and it will save all those ingredients for you so you don't have to enter it every time. Then when you want to enter it click on the 'my meals' tab and voila!

As for calories burned I'd invest for a heart rate monitor if you want to be exact. If you just want an idea you can log is as something general like 'aerobics' or 'weight lifting' and the amount of time you spent doing it.

Best of luck!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Oooh I can't handle a vegan diet....good luck to you. Along with a heart rate moniter, (which is a must to have.), you can use this site to calculate the calories in your recipies: http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If you log in the ingredients once, in your diary, you'll see a link that says "Remember Meal" ... and after that you can just add the meal to your diary (click the "my meals" tab in the food section).

EDIT: You can go to one of your past days to enter in the meals and save them for future reference. I'll do this if I'm trying a new recipe but I'm eating more than the dish during that meal (like an extra side that might change).
  • Kakia
    Kakia Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! Good luck on your goals!
  • Kakia
    Kakia Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey Treehugger. Being vegan is easy peasy for me since I don't think most people would want to eat cheese if they knew by what means it comes.

Cheese was my biggest fave food ever and I have since tried every vegan cheese available, even ordering an aged cashew cheese from the states. The brand Sheese is pretty damn impressive!

The recipe for the casserole is as such:

1 fennel bulb, core/stalks removed, halved, thinly sliced
    1 large zucchini (sliced thin in rounds)
    1 small/medium red pepper, cored thinly sliced
    1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
    1/4 tsp salt
    black pepper to taste
    2-3 cups cooked quinoa
    2 cups hummus
    3-4 tbsp parsley, coriander or basil chopped

(flax seed oil for tasting afterwards)

Preheat oven to 450F. Toss vegetables in olive oil, vinegar and salt/pepper. Bake on parchement for 15-18 min. Remove.

Make you quinoa! :)

Preheat oven to 350F
    Assemble in casserole dish (lightly oiled): quinoa, spreading evenly - gently drop spoonfuls of hummus and spread gently - vegetables.

Remove and sprinkle with fresh herbs. Drizzle with flax oil or olive oil.
  • treehugger88
    treehugger88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Sounds good. I saved the recipe and I'm going to get all the stuff for it the next time I go grocery shopping.