Fitbit- Yes or No

Options
Hello- I am looking at purchasing the new Fitbit that comes out this Spring. This is the one that tracks steps, calories, sleep, etc. I was wondering if anyone has an input on this equipment. I currently have a Polar watch that tracks heart rate and calories so wondering if the Fitbit is a better option? Any input would be great. :wink:

Replies

• Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have the Zip and I like it to track my everyday activities, to gauge how many calories I'm burning with an active, lightly active , or sedentary day. I want to eat with calorie deficit but enough to keep my metabolism fired up so this has helped me a great deal. For exercise I prefer my Polar HR monitor.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I agree with agusia. I use my HRM during exercise to get a better estimate of calories burned, but wear the FitBit all day and night to gauge estimated calorie burn. I have the Ultra.
    I have the Zip and I like it to track my everyday activities, to gauge how many calories I'm burning with an active, lightly active , or sedentary day. I want to eat with calorie deficit but enough to keep my metabolism fired up so this has helped me a great deal. For exercise I prefer my Polar HR monitor.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I have a fit bit but don't use it much these days. I find its handy on day where I feel completely lazy and want a bit of motivation to do some laundry or dishes. Then I'll go for ten thousand steps and my dogs are lucky enough to get a walk in.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    No. Its a glorified pedometer.Not worth $100 bucks.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I like mine, it is one of the tools I use to help me keep active. It does not replace an HRM, it simply tracks your activity level as it relates to walking/running. I rely on it as much as I rely on MFP and the equipment I use at the gym. None of them stand alone as the only tool I use to improve my health, but they are all quite important in that journey.
  • livelovlaugh
    livelovlaugh Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Great input :) Thanks.
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes

I love mine. I wear it every day, all day. The only time I don't wear it is when it is charging while I take a shower. I've had it for over a month now and I find it to still be incredibly motivating.
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and find it great for general motivation and encouragement. I also have an HRM which I use to track individual sessions as the Fitbit is not a reliable guide to actual calorie burn. I would certainly suggest anyone who wishes to lose weight add it to their toolkit.!
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    waste of money, time and effort.

Eat right and be more active. You need nothing more. No gadgets.

Be motivated by what you see in the mirror!!

plus estimates are just that... ESTIMATES!

BOOM!!!
  • belfastbiker
    belfastbiker Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Before I lost it the fitbit ultra kept me walking. Did 32k steps one day even. Ordered the fitbit zip to motivate me again.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I agree with agusia. I use my HRM during exercise to get a better estimate of calories burned, but wear the FitBit all day and night to gauge estimated calorie burn. I have the Ultra.

^^ I agree with both. I found the calorie burn for the cardio workouts I do nowhere near what my HRM records. I'm starting to feel like the Fitbit was a waste of ££'s. However, saying that, for those folks who aren't all that active, seeing the step count and the estimate of calories burnt during the day while wearing it are good motivators.

Have a look at the Fitbit users group for more debates on the pros and cons http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users