upper body strength

Options
Hi,

I am 63 years old and out of shape. I weight 143, 5/4" tall and have no upper body strength.

Any good suggestions on dieting and exercising to hlep me.

CharChar

Replies

• CharlotteWL
    Options
    Hi,

I am 63 years old and out of shape. I weight 143, 5/4" tall and have no upper body strength.

Any good suggestions on dieting and exercising to hlep me.

CharChar
  • CharlotteWL
    Options
    :happy: :smile: :yawn:
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi Char Char:

You can find lots of good books on following an eating plan in second hand book stores and follow their ideas and recipes, as long as it is balanced. Some people on here eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 and that works for them. My eating plan is basically making sure my protein is the size of my palm for meals (all the fat cut off), having a carb portion - usually 1/2 cup., 1/2 cup each of a 2 veggies and a salad (that's dinner), for lunch I might skip the extra veggies, just have a salad and have a tomato or V8 juice and still have a protein and carb. I watch my fats and try to eat only healthy ones like flax seed oil, olive oil, and I use cooking spray for cooking my meats or grill them. You probably know all this.

Upper body strength to start can be built up with 2 lb. and 5 lb. dumbbells. There are lots of exercises under dumbbell exercises that show you how to perform them on the internet. If you don't have weights, you can use water bottles or large cans. Do arm, shoulder, back and chest exercises, -(making sure to have a rest day for upper body the next day) and you'll see a change. Do only what feels comfortable for you.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    What kind of exercises are you looking for? Weights? Resistance? Yoga? Stuff you can do around the house? Give us an idea and we'll point you in the right direction.

One of my favorites is grocery bag lifting. While walking out to your car or house, put a grocery bag in each hand. You can do curls or shoulder raises depending on the weight of the bags. Also makes you make more trips, so you get a baby walk in.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any band exercises?