Saunas

Options
Who uses them? Do you find them successful? How long do you sit for? etc....

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    successful for what?

They work to make you hot and sweaty and lose water weight, if that's what you mean.
  • Honeybea86
    Options
    They help clear my skin as well as help with muscle soreness but that's it.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    successful for what?

They work to make you hot and sweaty and lose water weight, if that's what you mean.

This!

They will not make you lose fat... sure you will weigh less after you come out of one but once you drink some water the weight is right back.
  • dihar2
    dihar2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    They do so much more. The far infrared saunas help to detox the body, burn calories, relax your muscles and so many more things. Search the web for more info from good sources instead of glib responses from ignorant people.
  • jeckalynne
    Options
    successful for what?

exactly...are they successful for anything is what i meant....
  • jeckalynne
    Options
    They help clear my skin as well as help with muscle soreness but that's it.

I was wondering if they help skin or if the sweating causes acne. Just trying to figure out if sauna time is worth my time. Trying to figure out what's hype and what's not

and OTHERS don't need to be flippant with me, I couldnt figure out what sweating had to do with actual weight loss. I'm not an idiot, I was asking to make sure there was something I DIDN'T know.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    They do so much more. The far infrared saunas help to detox the body, burn calories, relax your muscles and so many more things. Search the web for more info from good sources instead of glib responses from ignorant people.

Relax your muscles, yes... they can help with that.

Burn calories... the difference in calorie burn in a sauna as opposed to not being in a sauna is not enough to make any difference (feel free to provide proper proof if you still claim this to happen).

Detoxing the body? You have organs for that. Sweating does not detox your body.

There was no one who posted here being ignorant... they were simply stating some answers to the posters question. If you don't agree with them it doesn't make them ignorant.
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Had one at the YMCA.
    It was an old school sauna from the 1900's.
    We affectionately called it the E. Coli room. LOL!

Then I think they filled it up with bleach, sealed the door & let it soak for a week because afterword the whole thing was a shade lighter & didn't smell like a wet dog with an infection.

wait, what was the question?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Good luck trying to find a "good source" from someone not trying to sell you one. I did manage to find this:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2718593/

Pretty much disputes all of the benefits you stated.

Maybe we aren't so ignorant...
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Theyre ok, just relaxing to sit in the heat. Also pretty sure it opens up your pores so, assuming that you shower right after it could help your skin out. Thats about it, I dont believe it "burns calories" though or anything like that. I dont have a citation for any of that, just things I have heard. Great feeling after a workout.
  • jeckalynne
    Options
    Had one at the YMCA.

Then I think they filled it up with bleach, sealed the door & let it soak for a week because afterword the whole thing was a shade lighter & didn't smell like a wet dog with an infection.

that's what I was thinking....relaxing and gross like a hot tub?
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Sauna's clear up my face. I think its great mentally as well. It just seams to calm and relax me and loosen up my muscles. I miss my sauna at my old gym :(:(
  • steveew
    steveew Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You know ... Sauna's do a lot, they just don't burn huge amounts of fat. If you want to burn calories you actually may be better off to be in a cool place than a warm one. But what they do (and I feel confident about these things):

1. Burns a little bit of fat. It takes energy to process the water you drink into your blood and then out your pores. Not a lot, but a little more than sitting in a 72degree room.

2. Postive effects on skin. it clears out your pores, gets those natural oils flowing, etc. I tend to think a really good sweat is good for acne, from the days I had such concerns, but that's just a belief based on my experience. I'd definitely say it's good for dry skin (at least a steam sauna is).

3. Great for relaxing.

4. If you're in long enough you can raise our boy temperature, and many holistic medicine types think this is good. One guy I know takes a thermometer into the sauna with him, and doesn't come out until his temperature measures 102 degrees. I have no idea if this is true, but there are plenty of people who claim such a therapy has cured them of something or another.

5. I use the steam sauna when I have time, and the reason is just that it feels great. That's enough for me.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Had one at the YMCA.

that's what I was thinking....relaxing and gross like a hot tub?

I refer to public hot tubs as "old man soup".
  • SarahR77777
    Options
    I find a steam room or sauna great after swimming. Really just to relax. I do find a steam does wonders for my skin. Apart from that I can only describe the benefit as a great relaxing treat after swimming when I have the time :)
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I sit in the sauna for about 30 minutes before each workout to warm up and stretch. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, so the heat feels great on sore muscles and joints. I also find that I burn more calories during my workout because the sauna elevates my HR. However, be wary of saunas and steam rooms if you have a skin condition. I have psoriasis that has gotten a bit worse, but I don't know if it's from the heat or from my own sweat.
  • steveew
    steveew Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    4. If you're in long enough you can raise our boy temperature

That is an embarrassing and weird typo. It's supposed to be "Your Body Temperature." Sheez. May have to start proofreading.
  • almostheavengroup
    Options
    We've been selling saunas for 30 years. Unfortunately there is no weight loss in a sauna, at least not fat weight loss. When you sweat you can lose water weight, so if you're bloated or retaining water, this can help. That's it, though.

As far as detoxification goes, there's not much of that either. If you have dirt or debris actually in your pores, sweat can push it out. Again, that's all. There's a study being done on this, but we'd be surprised to see an outcome that was any different than what we just said.

As far as finding proof of weight loss or detoxification in a sauna, you won't. At least not real proof. Please don't listen to the infrared "sauna" manufacturers. They're only trying to sell their product. We've had several chances to add these infrared enclosures to our product line, but have declined...repeatedly.

Which brings me to the matter of infrared saunas to begin with. They're not real saunas. They're not going to reach real sauna temperatures, or allow you to practice "loyly", the Scandinavian practice of sprinkling water on hot sauna rocks. This is an integral part of a real traditional sauna bath.

We've had countless customers disappointed with the infrared "sauna" they bought from one of our competitors. We've even had someone compare these infrared enclosures to sitting in a closet with a space heater, something that would not only be cheaper but probably safer. Many infrared saunas have been recalled due to faulty fire hazard causing wiring.

This is an unbiased review of sauna bathing. We sell them; if any of these claims were real we'd be shouting it from the roof top so we could sell more saunas! That's not to say true Scandinavian style saunas don't have health benefits. They certainly do, including an increase in circulation which can help not only internally but also externally with your skin and hair (if you suffer from acne you probably want to wash your face after sweating of any kind).

Saunas and steam rooms are also good if you have a slight illness or respiratory problem, and there are people who claim the fake "fever" a sauna produces can help fight off illness to begin with. You also can't overlook the relaxation and rejuvenation that can come from using a sauna or steam room. Just keep in mind none of these health benefits have been proven in an infrared "sauna"...and that Scandinavian style saunas have been around for centuries through many different cultures.

Just be careful. Drink plenty of water so as not to dehydrate yourself, and if you have any kind of serious health concern consult with your doctor before using a sauna or steam room.
  • Infraredsaunas
    Options
    Now, as medical science has come to the terms of accepting the health benefits with Infrared Saunas, Saunas is best way to getting fit and healthy. An Infrared Sauna is designed and built on the infrared heating system where an enclosed unit is used with built-in infrared heaters emitting infrared heat, to be absorbed directly by the user. Researchers have found that these infrared saunas can cure different ailments as well as can give relief from excruciating pain. This technology of using heat to alleviate pain, stresses, fatigue and other ailments can be traced back to medieval ages when people were not aware of the electromagnetic radiation of Infrared light.