Gagging down my protein shake...

Options
....seriously, is there ANY way of making this an enjoyable thing?

I'm using Multipower 100% Whey (in Vanilla Fresh) and although it's not the worst protein powder I've ever tasted. it is FAR from pleasant. Doesn't seem to matter what I stick in it, I can't get the damned thing to taste okay.

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie with whey isolate (vanilla flavour), frozen fruit and laban (arabic milk drink), and it's delicious, tastes like ice cream.

if this doesn't work you could try a different brand (some artificial vanilla flavours are better than others, and some may even have real vanilla in them) or a different flavour

some companies will give you free samples of protein powder, i.e. single serving size ones, so you can try them and see if it tastes okay
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I put vanilla powder into chocolate milk and it tastes like making out with George Clooney.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Either look for a new protein powder (get sample sizes and try before you commit to a huge tub), or find a way to get all your protein from actual foods.

Other than that, perhaps make smoothies? Fresh or frozen fruit, berries, cinnamon (cinnamon can mask the taste of most yucky things), a bit of whatever extract you think sounds good (vanilla, almond, etc), liquid of your choice, etc.
  • KintsugiCurlyQueen
    Options
    Thanks guys! I guess it really is a case of trial and error. I'm already committed to a massive tub of the stuff so I've got plenty to practice with :( haha.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Why you take it? Protein shakes are not a necessity.

If you ABSOLUTELY want a protein shake for some reason, search for shake recipes with normal, natural ingredients...

Oh wait.. let me help::: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Homemade-Protein-Shake-Without-Protein-Powder

:tongue:

You welcome :bigsmile: :glasses:
  • Melaniedawnh
    Options
    Sounds strange but you could try adding a little bit of cinnamon. I mix fortress protein powder vanilla one scoop with berries like - blackberries, blueberries, strawberries or a banana. Recently I have added kiwi. Then I add a tablespoonful of ground flax seed. I also add yogurt in a yummy flavour.
  • brookelynhoneycutt
    Options
    I make my homemade smoothies with nuts and chia seeds; the nuts add delicious flavor and consistency (pecans are my favorite for smoothies) and chia seeds do not add flavor of their own.

I actually add chia seeds to many things for extra protein, fiber, and omegas.

Not a fan of powdered protein here; keep it as natural as possible.

Hope this is helpful :smile:
  • Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think it will be trial and error and what appeals to your taste buds. I'm not much of a fan either but I am able to enjoy the Jillian Michaels vanilla flavor I buy from Walmart at a reasonable price. The chia seeds are a great way to add extra fiber without killing the taste.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    it needs some love :) , add in honey or chocolate milk
  • martinh78
    Options
    Are you making it with milk or water? Milk usually makes them taste good/water makes them taste bad in my opinion.
  • martinh78
    Options

Oh wait.. let me help::: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Homemade-Protein-Shake-Without-Protein-Powder

:tongue:

You welcome :bigsmile: :glasses:

I like that.
  • persnikity
    persnikity Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make smoothies with vanilla Protien powder in them, bananas seem to cover up the taste of anything else I put in them. Including all the other fruits. :ohwell:
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    i use in coffee instead of creamer
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    They all just taste like a glass full of sugar to me. Way way way too sweet.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I can only do premix shakes. The smell of a powdered shake will make me gag.

Myoplex EAS Chocolate Fudge shakes are really good tasting, compared to the disgusting stuff. I buy them from Sam's club. I think I get 20 for $28. But each drink has 42g of protein, so I drink 1/2 of one of every day. They will last me 40 days for $28 and they taste good! Open, chug, chocolately taste :)
  • Jhimmer1995
    Jhimmer1995 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try adding 1 tablespoon sugar free instant pudding to an 8 ounce glass of protein powder.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Blended ice to make it colder and half a banana is my usual
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I avoid shakes altogether and have 0% greek yogurt. No carb, low fat and high in protein. 100 cals per six ounces. But that's just me. I've never been into drinking protein shakes, I don't find them overly filling.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Use a non-terrible protein powder. First choice is Trutein, any flavor (though I recommend the chocolate peanut butter cup or the cinnabun or the vanilla). Then Gaspari Myofusion Chocolate. Those are the best I've found, they are enjoyable to drink.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    hmmm. i use two types, i have nature's bounty chocolate protein and vitamin mix, but i don't use it all the time because i am supposed to stay away from chocolate. oops. but yeah that is really good blended with some coconut milk, water, ice, bananas and sometimes pb if i feel like it. very filling and refreshing.
    i have a whey protein that is vanilla i got off amazon, that is good with fruit added to it, like blueberries and bananas. also good with pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice with some oats, it's like a pumpkin pie!
    you really may just have the wrong type of powder to suit your taste. i had a brown rice protein mix i ended up giving to my mom, it was vanilla flavor. no matter what i mixed with it, i just couldn't get past its taste. i really enjoy the ones i use though, they also make cookies n cream, pb flavors, all sorts of kinds. maybe try a new one? i love my protein powders, it really helps get that extra protein in (as a veg i can take all i can get!) hope this helps :]