Horse Meat Scandal

Options

Replies

• miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I buy majority of my meat at a local butcher... but when dining out, what are we getting?!

Your question makes me wonder why our take out Chinese restaurant has beef that does not taste like beef. I told my husband recently we are not ordering Beef off the menu anymore because I am certain it is not Beef! IF people want to eat horse meat buy it and label it and make sure the horses pass health tests, however do not label it beef.

I agree with the poster who said there are many unknown things in the processed food supply. It is scary to even think what is in the food. I seldom eat processed food.

In a news article I recently read Popcorn in the USA is GMO Corn 90 % of it especially in the microwave bags. The scorching heat and drought caused poor crops so GMO corn is being sold to the consumer without them knowing it with anything that contains corn. I do not know if it is the same in Europe. The consumers has a right to know what we are eating. I do not want to eat Genetically modified food all I ask is put it on the label give people a choice.

In Europe we would have to pay twice the price for organic fruits and veggies all because we do not want pesticides on our food. I often wonder if prices are not just hiked and the stores are selling non organic food at the higher prices.
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    I even had an interesting chat with a guy who said "only buy my mince from the butcher" - to which I said - "so you only TRUST your butcher". He could have been eating horse mince for years and never have known it. In many ways this is just about who you trust with your food in the supply chain to which there is no easy answer. Unless you hunt it, butcher it, carve it and cook it yourself. I've seen plenty of people who couldn't tell the difference between a gammon joint and a lamb shank unless it was cooked!

Hopefully this whole saga will a ) make horse meat more available in the UK b) make people more aware of the meats they are eating.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    After you put the horse's head in someone's bed, its just a waste to not use the meat.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Horse meat is actually quite tasty. Don't know what the big rub is on it being horse. I had horse sashimi when I was in Okinawa.

I got the "it's not beef and was advertised as such" logic, and I can agree with it. Just the "OMG it's horse!" thing boggles my mind.

Kinda like when people turn up their nose at Bison ("That's weird!") or lamb or anything not cow/pig/chicken.

Hit the nail on the head. Not telling people about it is a little BS but I don't get how one meat is better than another meat especially considering some of the chemical filled crap even the most average healthy person puts in their bodies. Calm down. It's just meat.
  • leappleton
    Options
    Im afraid Im a little bit of a snob when it comes to processed burgers, ready made meals etc and think that if you buy a lasagne for 1quid you kind of get what you deserve! You certainly get what you pay for. one lady here said her homemade lasagne for 4 costs a fiver and an asda one cost 2quid less, how much better is that homemade one for your family than all the chemicals and preservatives than are in the asda smart price one?? For two pound I'd rather have the healthier family!
    My first thought however when I heard the news (just goes to show how much using this site has gotten into my bloodstream) was I wonder if the horse meat is less calories?! Imagine you had been logging a beef lasagne and it was horse which could be lower calories! Every cloud and all that! :-)

The thing is there is only so far this logic takes you, if you ever see how much a cow or a lamb get sold for at a cattle market you'd see that meat is actually REALLY cheap. so if you are buying it on mass, and also only buying cheaper cuts its possible to get the price to be substantially lower. I used to live near a farm that offered a free butchering service if you bought a whole lamb, did it on a couple of occasions with a mate and we had loads, and only spent about £30.
    It is possible to make meals cheaply on mass (just ask a good restaurant).

Very true and I understand your point but in the lasagne case it's not just the meat you are buying for one pound, it's meat, butter flour milk and cheese or whatever they make their white sauce with, tomatoes spices flavourings for the tomato sauce, plus chemicals to preserve and whatever else they decide to put in, more flour and eggs that have made the pasta sheets, plus a foil tray, plastic wrapping, cardboard packaging, packaging printing, manufacturing and transport costs...all for 1 pound? I'd make my own!
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    I hear ya! but most people have no real idea what mass producers actually pay for food. They can probably knock those lasagnes out for less than 20p a go. Given that the army feed and water soldiers for under £4 a day, starts to make you realise - typical consumer pays far too much.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Horse meat is actually quite tasty. Don't know what the big rub is on it being horse. I had horse sashimi when I was in Okinawa.

I got the "it's not beef and was advertised as such" logic, and I can agree with it. Just the "OMG it's horse!" thing boggles my mind.

Kinda like when people turn up their nose at Bison ("That's weird!") or lamb or anything not cow/pig/chicken.

Hit the nail on the head. Not telling people about it is a little BS but I don't get how one meat is better than another meat especially considering some of the chemical filled crap even the most average healthy person puts in their bodies. Calm down. It's just meat.

I totally agree with this ^^

It infuriates me that people turn their noses up at things like venison, veal, wild boar, game birds, offal (liver/kidneys/black puddings) and even lamb but are all for eating chemical filled processed chicken/beef/pork meals because those things are "normal". There is a world of yummy organic/free range natural meats & meat products out there if you are a meat eater you should try!!
  • Jordy1983
    Jordy1983 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Can't say I've seen one "OMG HORSE!!" post in this thread unless I've missed one? Having said that, there's nothing wrong with anyone posting that. Because YOU find horse meat tasty doesn't mean everyone does. I might not like pork (I do like pork). Because others find it tasty, doesn't mean I want it subbed in my chicken wrap.

I've always considered myself the type of person who'd try most things. I certainly wouldn't shy away from legal, packaged horse meat.
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    you've still got to TRUST your butcher in many cases.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    All the news stories have emphasised that this is NOT a health scare, there is nothing in horsemeat that isn't suitable for human consumption.

The concern is that the processors didn't know what meat they were getting (or they did and covered it up, I did hear a suggestion that this is a massive racketeering thing)

The big concern is if you are say Muslim, and it is agaisnt your religion to eat pork. And then those supposed beef burgers turn out to contain 50% pig DNA.......

Favourite horsemeat joke: What do you want on your burger? I'll have a fiver each way.
  • Staffygirl88
    Staffygirl88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    im just so thankful that i love cooking and cook everything from scratch.
    i dont think its the fact that its horse meat thats a problem, just the fact you dont actually know what you're getting.
    urgh makes me feel sick to think what else is in there.
  • euphoriabuzz
    euphoriabuzz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Making burgers yourself is a great idea but where does the meat come from for the burgers?
  • euphoriabuzz
    euphoriabuzz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's blown out of proportion. Yes, when buying a beef product you don't want to get a horse product, but as far as health is concerned, you aren't going to get sick over it.

Who said it's socially unacceptable to eat horse?
    The government health officials? Based on their appearance, most of them are overweight and don't exercise as much as they should.

The media? Why do we even care what they think?

Honestly, who cares? I'm a full-time student and I would much rather pay for some better quality frozen chicken than the cheapest Asda Smart Price and pre-packed meal bs they sell these days. How hard is it to put chicken in the oven, rice on the stove and veggies in the microwave?

The only downside is that the employees at these places aren't doing their job properly, and let's face it, we shouldn't be surprised at this revelation.

Actually it is not just in the cheapest foods. In Aldi the premium 100% quarter pounders are part of the range removed. Findus is not a cheap brand either. No-one is saying it is socially unacceptable to eat horse but what is socially unacceptable is being lied to and not being given the basic choice to say 'no' to eating a product you may not wish to eat.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    It seems like if you want to know the source of your burger (easiest to hide other meats and "things" in ground meat) then get a hunk of meat thats harder to fake--like a roast. You know it came from one animal because it's a hunk of one muscle. Get an attachment to your power mixer like a kitchen aide, and grind your own burger. It's very fast and easy. I did it a while with the "pink slime" whoop-de-do, until they cleared my grocery of the ones on the list.

Bonus: You can make your own "even leaner" burger. You know it came from one country and one animal, at least.
  • Ginsey31
    Options
    horse meat can contain an anti-inflammatory drug called bute, which cannot enter the food chain for human food consumption as it can cause sickle cell anemia basically bone marrow and blood disorders

I'm not sure this can be true. Sickle-cell is genetic.
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Ive been craving apples and sugar cubes lately... hmmm.

Your teeth are looking a bit longer...
  • LilMissDB
    Options
    In all seriousness I dont think I'd necessarily mind eating horse, the annoying bit is just not being told!

I agree... cow, horse, what does it really matter? I'm sure some people would mind though so yeah the not being told thing is annoying.

I'm not going to claim to be any kind of expert in DNA but has anybody else thought it a possibility that genetically modified cows might be identified genetically as closer to horses if tested? (No idea if this is even possible, just a thought!)
  • Ginsey31
    Options
    I have found this:

What is the veterinary drug phenylbutazone or 'bute'?

The Food Standard Agency has confirmed that tests have been ordered on Findus beef lasagne products for the veterinary drug phenylbutazone.

Animals treated with 'bute' are not allowed to enter the food chain as it may pose a risk to human health.

Bute was banned from use in humans after it was found that about 1 person in 30,000 recipients suffered a serious side effect.
    Bute can cause rare cases of a serious blood disorder, aplastic anaemia.

In levels reported in previous FSA testing of contaminated meat, the maximum level found would have to be multiplied a thousand-fold to be at the same level as which used to be given to humans.
    It suggests that even if someone eats contaminated meat, the risk of damage to their health is very low.

The FSA has said there is no evidence to suggest the horse meat found in Findus lasagne is a food safety risk

Ah ha! Thanks for digging this up. Aplastic anemia is different than sickle-cell. AA can be caused by exposure to toxins, whereas sickle-cell is inherited.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's not about it being just horse meat. It's about what the horses are medicated with that is so harmful for human consumption.

That being said processed foods are harmful for human consumption so why on earth would anybody eat them, horse meat or not?!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Findus Foods: Just Say Neigh...

lol