Suggestions for a workout?

Options
I am fairly sedentary the days I don't work. As an RN I easily walk 3 to 5 miles a 12 hour shift. I have been walking either on the treadmill (boring as HE$L) at the school's fitness center or at the school in the halls after school hours. (For the record, I do much better "free style" walking with good music, burn more calories and rack up the miles more.) I have a few DVD's to workout to, but my hubs is home the days I am, we have a small living room, and I just can't bear to do the DVD while he's sitting in the recliner watching. I really want to increase my activity for my new lifestyle, but need direction. I've checked out some things online but confused on when to do what. I've seen full body circuits with weights to do every other day, but what do I do on the other days? I've tried the elliptical for one minute --- thought I was going to die and it killed my right knee. I would like to work up to consistently doing the elliptical, but what can I do in the meantime?

Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight lifting. No need to do anything in between days so your muscles can recover. Or try yoga or Pilates in between. Lifting will transform your body!
  • jgthomas78
    Options
    I HATE the cardio machines at the gym, but I have realized that doing intervals makes the time pass by much faster. Or try adjusting your incline often to mix it up a bit.
  • sassycupcakecutie
    Options
    -Jump rope outside if you can.
    -If you have space in your bedroom then you could hook up a portable dvd player or your computer and play exercise dvds. Jillian michaels and turbo jam do not require that much room

-also a hula hoop will work for outside as well
    - or you could buy the foot pedal bicycle at the store and you could sit on the couch and bike away with music or watching tv. You can also use it for your arms . Its just the pedals and i think cost around 40 bucks.