Inexpensive and healthy wok recipes?

Options
My husband and I just got a wok. Does anyone have some good, healthy recipes that are easy on the wallet?

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    A wok, sorry?
  • kattymatt
    Options
    A wok is a metal pan having a rounded bottom, used especially for frying and steaming in Asian cooking.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know. It was a cheap joke, I apologize!

Stir-fry salad is cheap as chips and comes in huge bags that can last 3 meals!

Add a tablespoon of soy sauce and a generous helping of sweet chilli sauce (Also cheap) and away you go!

Serve with your fav meat or noodles!!

Boom!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Kale stir fried is heavenly.

Really any protein/leafy veg combo is awesome and super cheap. just watch the sauces.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com has good recipes, look up stir fry and you'll probably find a bunch:)
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Beef & Broccoli Stir-Fry Mix
    Oriental Stir-Fry Mix

Club house seasoning makes for quick easy meals.
  • sacha_1987
    sacha_1987 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My favourite lunch recipe is made with my wok. It's sooo easy and so cheap! The below makes 2 large portions;

1 Courgette, halved and sliced
    1 Bell pepper, sliced into chunks
    Handful of mushrooms, quartered
    1 Red Onion
    1 Tin Chopped tomatoes
    1 Tin of Kidney Beans (Rinsed)
    1 tsp chilli powder (mild, I'm not good with spicy food!!)
    1 clove of Garlic (minced)
    1 tsb Worcester sauce

Spray the Wok with lots of Frylight (about 6 sprays). Add the Garlic, Courgette, Pepper, Mushrooms and Onion on a medium heat and turn every now and again.
    After around 15 minutes add the chopped tomatoes, the Chilli, the Worcester Sauce and the Kidney beans. Leave to simmer for around 20 minutes.

Hey presto! I love veggies so it's great for me, and It's filling. I recently added some sweet chilli sauce and a tablespoon of Spicy Ketchup - which tasted amazing!

Works out to be 215 cal, 38 carbs, 1 gram of Fat, 11 grams Fibre and 427 sodium

Also works out to be £1.50 a meal (for me, I buy at Aldi as can't afford to buy any fresher)

Might sound a bit boring, but it packs a punch, and you can always mix it with rice or pasta for bulking up a bit! But I have it on it's own =)
  • eyeshuh
    eyeshuh Posts: 333
    Options
    2 chicken breasts cut up, stick them in the wok with just a little bit of mongolian fire oil, cook until done, throw in a bag of frozen veggies, put the lid on and wait 15 minutes or so until veggies are all warmed, throw in a bit of sauce of choice - we use Kikkoman garlic and green onion terriyaki, let it cook a little more until the sauce is warm then BAM. Hop on the train to delicious town.
  • kattymatt
    Options
    These are all fantastic so far. I am so excited to have something new to use in the kitchen! Keep the ideas coming please :)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I love my wok!

A few days ago I made a chicken and veggie stir fry. I don't use store bought stir fry sauces so this is a little more complex, but it's not that hard:

ingredients to serve 6 people:
    3 boneless chicken breasts, sliced thin (about 2.5lbs)
    1 bell pepper sliced
    1 medium onion sliced
    5-6 stalks of bok choy leaves and all, sliced up (about 4 cups)
    2 carrots sliced up (about 1 cup)
    4-5 decent sized white mushrooms, sliced (about 1 cup)
    2 stalks celery sliced up
    1 can of baby corn, rinsed well
    cooked white rice

seasonings:
    1TBS fresh ginger, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    white pepper
    soy sauce
    sherry wine
    1 can chicken broth
    3TBS regular tomato ketchup
    sesame oil

Take the chicken and dust it lightly with some white pepper and about 1TBS of corn starch. Add 1tsb soy sauce and 1tsp sherry, mix it up and let it sit while you prep the veggies.

Mix 1TBS corn starch and the chicken broth together. Add the ketchup.

Heat up the wok on high heat. Add 1TBS oil, and add the carrots and celery and stir fry for a minute. Add the mushrooms, peppers and onions, along with half the garlic and half the ginger. Stir fry for 3 mins or so, then add the bok choy and baby corn. Cook until the bok choy leaves wilt. Add 1TBS each soy sauce and sherry, stir frying the whole time, then cover it for a couple minutes. Remove the veggies to a bowl.

Add a little more oil if needed, let the wok come back up to temperature, and then add the chicken. I like to let it sit for a minute or so and let it sort of get a crust on it, then flip it all around to get the other side done, then start stir frying it. Add the rest of the garlic and ginger in. Keep everything moving.

Once the chicken is done, add another splash of sherry and another TBS of soy sauce. Add the veggies back in and mix everything together. Then stir up the chicken broth mixture and add it to the wok. Let it come to a boil and it'll start to get thick. Turn the heat down to low and cover for a couple minutes and let all the flavors blend. Just before serving drizzle some sesame oil on and mix it thru. Serve over white rice.

This is around 400 calories per serving not counting the rice, but I eat a double helping. With just my wife and I, we get leftovers the next day too.
  • kattymatt
    Options
    I am unsure what some of these ingredients are.

-Mongolian fire oil

-Courgette

-Frylight
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Mongolian Fire Oil- chile pepper infused oil, so it's hot and spicy
    Courgette- eggplant
    Frylight- I'm guessing a UK version of Pam spray.
  • kattymatt
    Options
    aha! Thank you :-)
    I am grocery shopping this weekend and am going to try one of these to start.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/127969-szechuan-tofu-veg-stirfry?

This is a great recipe if you like tofu. I make so many stir fries with different sauce combinations. What specifically are you looking for?
  • kattymatt
    Options
    I don't think I am looking for anything specific...just variety. That recipe also looked great. Maybe I will try tofu for the first time depending on the price.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    My recommendation - Find an asian market if you live in a big city. They usually have the most reasonably priced produce and you can find awesome proteins like tofu, soy beans, and fish (frozen) for very good prices.