Jones Creek Beef

Options
I've been buying Jones Creek Beef (grass-fed) for a while now. But I've run into a problem with them as of late. I've noticed that their beef tends to be substantially lower in calories and fat than other brands of grass-fed beef. Initially, this sounded great, as I am trying to lose weight, but I'm having a hard time believing their brand is healthy as they say it is (in comparison to other brands of grass fed beef). Does anyone else think this looks odd?

Jones Creek Beef - Top Sirloin Steak [3oz]
Calories: 80
Total Fat: 3g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g
Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
Cholesterol: 50mg
Sodium: 35mg
Protein: 15g

Jones Creek Beef - Ribeye [3oz]
Calories: 60
Total Fat: 2g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g
Monounsaturated Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 35mg
Sodium: 55mg
Protein: 10g

Replies

• Chluke323
    Chluke323 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just checked their web page and found it rather short on real information. I couldn't figure out who the people are behind this farm, what type of cattle they use and that sort of thing. Since they're in Utah, they may well be using range-type cattle breeds that we wouldn't use here in the east, and their beef would be much lower in fat than beef from other parts of the country. It's hard to make too many claims on grassfed beef because the fat profile changes with the locality and the season. And it can be costly to get an analysis done by a meat lab. I'd say that if you like their beef and you're happy with your experience with them, then enjoy!
  • malachai_barker
    malachai_barker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Their meat is pretty good. And if the nutritional information is true, it's a great alternative to standard red meat. I just had a hard time believing that their steaks were that low in calories and fat compared to other grass-fed brands. I e-mailed them once and was told that their nutritional facts were approved by the USDA. I'm just a little skeptical.