Upping Food Intake

Options
I need to eat more. Plain and simple. I am not a big eater..............never have been a big eater or snacker, yet I have started going to the gym and need more food (with solid nutrition) in my belly.

This morning..............(under the advice of Dr and Personal Trainer who is also a dietician) I had 3 eggs, 2 strips of bacon and a Level 1 Vanilla Protein Shake made with coconut milk and ice.

This was 486 calories and I feel like I am going to burst..............I feel so stuffed that my stomach hurts.

I have made a grilled chicken caesar salad for lunch (home made caesar dressing) - yesterday I ended up throwing some of it out because I could not eat it all.

Last night was chuck roast, carrots, green beans and a small piece of a potato.

My only snack yesterday was baby carrots and celery with about 1 tablespoon of almond butter.

I am doing heavy lifting at the gym with 4 days of cardio after lifting.

Will my appetite eventually increase? I used to be a heavy lifter, but I was young and in shape back then............now I am old and fat.

I have started decreasing my fat intake to make room for more food in the form of veggies and lean proteins.............but not hungry for them.

Any hints, tips?

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    How did you get over weight? This seems like a really weird question from you. You're on a calorie counting weight loss site. You are presumably here because you eat too much and put on weight. Then, you turn around and say you can't eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

If there is more to the story, please share. But, I hope you understand how I am confused by your question.

Peace.

I have medical issues that caused the weight gain to include Pituitary tumor, Hashimotos Thyroiditis, PCOS, T2 Diabetes and Adrenal Gland Fatigue.

I gained 170 pounds in less than 6 months with the onset of one or more of these disorders and was not properly diagnosed until a couple of years ago.

I have gotten the T2 Diabetes well under control (no meds and controlled with natural carb way of eating).

Trust me, I have never been a big eater..............my husband and his parents used to make me eat.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    What if you try increasing your food slowly, rather jumping right into it. Have your normal meals but add an afternoon snack for a couple of weeks. Then when you're comfortable with that, add in a morning snack. Then try increasing your actual meals. I'd try to push the protein over vegetables because vegetables are full of fiber and take up a lot of stomach space.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Hmmm. Sorry about that. I seriously cannot help you at all because I am extremely unknowledgable about diet as it pertains to medical issues. Can you talk to a nutritionist that specializes in health related issues such as yours?

It's great that you have the diabetes under control. Do you need to eat more, or is it ok as is?
    How did you get over weight? This seems like a really weird question from you. You're on a calorie counting weight loss site. You are presumably here because you eat too much and put on weight. Then, you turn around and say you can't eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

If there is more to the story, please share. But, I hope you understand how I am confused by your question.

Peace.

I have medical issues that caused the weight gain to include Pituitary tumor, Hashimotos Thyroiditis, PCOS, T2 Diabetes and Adrenal Gland Fatigue.

I gained 170 pounds in less than 6 months with the onset of one or more of these disorders and was not properly diagnosed until a couple of years ago.

I have gotten the T2 Diabetes well under control (no meds and controlled with natural carb way of eating).

Trust me, I have never been a big eater..............my husband and his parents used to make me eat.

Dietician and Nutritionist both just said to eat more..............I eat all natural, it is just I need more fat and protein for heavy lifting.

I wish it were as easy as most overweight people that got fat just by overeating...............then the weight would come off easier than having metabolic and endocrine issues.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Incorporate more oil into your cooking! Pile on your avocado.. eat some peanut butter.. all high calorie foods to help you :)
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean you need to consume more calories, not just eat more (meaning volume) is that right?

I would seek out calorie dense food. Things like avocado, nuts, peanut butter (if you like it). But, your nutritionist and doctor should be who you are talking to. I don't know what would be best for your conditions.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Incorporate more oil into your cooking! Pile on your avocado.. eat some peanut butter.. all high calorie foods to help you :)

I don't eat legumes, so peanut butter is out. I do eat almond butter. I ate a whole avocado on my salad yesterday and couldn't choke it all down.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I don't eat legumes, so peanut butter is out. I do eat almond butter. I ate a whole avocado on my salad yesterday and couldn't choke it all down.

Okay, well almond butter it is ! ..sneak it into your smoothies, serve it with your porridge - get creative!
    Avocado would be easier to eat on toast - pile it on. I love avocado and tomato on toast with salt/pepper and some fresh basil if you have it!