Gained 2 lbs!, I don't understand

Options
I gained 2 lbs this week.,But why, I just understand.

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    are you weighing yourself at the same time each week? Like, first thing in the morning when you get up?

Also, eating salty food a day before can make your body hold water. more water = more weight regardless of any fat lost.

Don't worry too much about it. i was 167lbs two days ago and this morning i was 161lbs. Body weigh fluctuates dependant on many things, it doesn't mean you've failed.

Plus the scale is just a number. Go by how you feel and look in the mirror!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck at 167-164 for months, that I stopped working out and I'm trying to get back into it. But this is not helping. I'm so upset. I just wanted to see a change.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    For about the last 3 months i have lost 1.6 pounds a week. Then, this last week i hadnt lost a thing! Its just your body fluctuating. In a day, i go up by about 4 pounds by the end of the day. After i weighed in with nothing lost, i took my measurements and compared them to the first day. And what a difference! Just because the scale says you've gained, doesn't mean anything. The scale is just a number. Im sure your doing great!!
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You stopped working out. You answered it for your self.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck at 167-164 for months, that I stopped working out and I'm trying to get back into it. But this is not helping. I'm so upset. I just wanted to see a change.

why are you upset over the number on a scale?

something like 60% of the human body is water. you are constantly ingesting and shedding water. in light of that fact, a 2lb variation on the scale means nothing. you don't know what has caused it. there could be any combination of causes... new muscle, new fat, extra water, undigested food, etc.

forget the scale. it's crazy to obsess about the fluctuations you see on it day to day. it's only useful as a long-term trend tool.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    so you just started working out again after a break of not working out? It is very likely that your muscles are holding onto water as they repair themselves, which is showing as a gain of 2 lbs. Weight fluctuates all the time, whether you're gaining, losing, or essentially staying the same. Weight isn't just a measure of how much fat you have, and very often the fluctuations are because of water weight. Like tricksee said, levels of sodium can affect it, as can different levels of carbs consumed, and normal hormonal fluctuations. I know it's really frustrating, but just keep at it, and give it a bit more time to see changes.

Oh, and by the way, I gained 2.5 lbs overnight 2 days ago. I didn't overeat, so I know it wasn't fat. It just so happened that I had a combination of eating more food that day (lower calorie, but greater volume), more sugar than I normally would and I did quite a strenuous weight lifting workout. I was down a pound yesterday, and I expect I will lose the rest over the next day or two.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Not really...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Just took a look at your diary. You don't seem to track on the weekends and 3 days (in the last week) you were WAY below your calorie goal. How do you expect to lose the weight when you don't use the tools or the system correctly? Make sure you're logging consistely. Starving yourself won't work either - you need to fuel your body correctly or it will hold on to what it has for stores (fat). You had a couple good days where you got close to your goal, try to do that more often.

Plus, if I read your post right, you just started getting back into exercise which means your muscles are very likely retaining water as part of the healing process. Give it some time, that will go away. In the meantime, make sure you're drinking plenty of water and keep your sodium intake within guidelines.

I know it sucks but it happens. Just keep making small improvements and you will see results!
  • Melissaol
    Options
    Should I weigh in tomorrow .or wait until next Friday
  • dmaloof2013
    dmaloof2013 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember is if you weigh yourself too many times over the course of one week, your weight is bound to fluctuate. It can have a 5 pound fluctuation over the course of a week. I would only weigh once a week, at the same time, inthe same condition (i.e. right when I wake up, after using the bathroom, etc.). If you are someone who weighs themself every day, you are bound to see a difference just because of the natural fluctuation.
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    At risk of upsetting people - DON'T weigh yourself! Give yourself a month of working out again before you even think of getting on the scale.
  • newlife0425
    newlife0425 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I understand your comments....I just started back to working out last week and this week I started logging everyday and going everyday for workouts then this morning I get on the scale and i have not lost one pound not even a half of pound. So it is very upsetting but I am still working to fight for this new lifestyle as I also found that this week I have slept better after working out and I actually felt better. Last night I only walked the track for 45 min. and I didn't sleep well and today feel blah...I think it is the track didn't do it for me I need the bike and/or treadmill to make me feel good. But the eye opener for me is that my husband and I went to mexican food last night. Keep in mind this is my all time favorite food. Normally I order just whatever and last night I took my time and looked over everything and my mind was telling get what you normally get but my heart was like you have really worked hard this week do not blow it in one meal. I got the chicken taco salad, I broke off all the flour bowl and put it aside and I ate I don't think even half of the salad and I was full and normally I can eat a basket of chips and that didn't happen either. I walked away feeling so proud of myself. So even though the scale so no different number, I feel different and at the end of the day that is what is going to make me succeed in this journey. Good luck and keep going ......
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Throw them scales away................They drive you insane

Up

Down

Up

Down

Steady

Up ............Opppps Down again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go by clothes or how you feel!!
  • 1goodgranny
    Options
    Wait! You'll drive yourself crazy watching numbers go up & down every day. Take a nice, slow, deep breath and repeat after me, "i'm eating the correct foods, i'm exercising, i'm doing what is right for my body. patience is a virtue."
    Yeah, i've seen very little weight loss in my 4 weeks. But I FEEL that my clothes are fitting just a tad better and my muffin top has gone down ever so slightly.
    i'm in the 160-range, too, plus i'm in my mid (ok, later) 50's so it is just slow going right now. but i'm determined to get to my goal weight. it's just going to take longer than i had planned. :-(
    another way to watch for results are monthly pictures of yourself. weight loss is so gradual (or should be) that unless you have the "before" picture you sometimes forget where you were 30 days prior.
    and of course, measurements are a great guage. btw-i haven't taken my pic yet nor have i measured. why don't i do these simple things??!
    just remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so as you gain muscle and lose fat, the weight may not slide right off, but your clothes will soon begin to fit more loosely.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Not really...

Yes really, If you stop burning up those calories you can't expect to lose anything. Stop logging, then you start eating whatever you want, over your limit and there you go gaining weight back. You have to do your workouts and log the food. You can't expect magical weight loss from doing nothing. You also can't expect results if you're not willing to stick to this everyday at least. Effort is what it takes. You get out what you put in.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Water?
  • veronica341972
    Options
    You would have to ask yourself some questions....are you consuming more than your usual calories.....have you been working out less or maybe the workouts your doing need to be more intensified.....maybe your losing inches so I would not worry....we really can't answer this question for you.....Make sure to log in calories and exercise and also account for water retention (menstrual) as sometimes that can increase weight.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Look...The scale is the debil...I don't even really bother looking anymore, unless it's to weigh in and that's only once per week, if that. I am wearing jeans I haven't worn in a very long time, with a blouse that was tight on me this time last month, and I am not really sure what the scale says today, and quite frankly? I don't care. I've been back at it just under a month, and this time around, I'm not going to worry about the numbers. I am using a tape measure and my clothing as a gauge.

Relax...age & weight are just numbers. :happy:
  • fleerik
    fleerik Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I remember reading off of someones else's post that "slow progress is still progress." I've had a few weeks where I have shown fidelity to MFP and did not loose anything or perhaps even gained. I am working out 3-4 times a week. Although I don't see the numbers moving I know that I am overall healthier for me and my entire family. I can also see the difference in my body...I can tell because of how my cloths are fitting. Keep pushing...don't give up...you are in 100% control of what you do with your body.
  • Melissaol
    Options
    I did have some bad days at the gym. I did start the 30 day shred, so maybe that is it also.