Call Center Employees!

Options
DP325i
DP325i Posts: 677 Member
Hey everyone, I'm starting in a call center on monday, was wondering if anyone had any tips, share experiences, and whats the general "life" like working in a call center environment. By the way, it's with Wells Fargo Home Mortgages (Inbound bill payment)

Replies

• SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    No experience here, but best of luck to you with your new job.
  • Yellowlass
    Options
    Be prepared to sit down a lot, worked in call centres for years, I found that I hated having conversations on the phone once home, good luck, im sure you will enjoy it:~)
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Never have. Good luck with the new job.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm starting in a call center on monday, was wondering if anyone had any tips, share experiences, and whats the general "life" like working in a call center environment. By the way, it's with Wells Fargo Home Mortgages (Inbound bill payment)

Drink heavily.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i used to train customer service in a call center for a variety of clients from USPS to technical support. i did this for 8 years and have a pretty good idea of what call center life is like.

i could write pages.

but i will leave you with a few things -
    as far as the call center itself - if it's a 24/7 place - be flexible with your time/hours. When i started, i was young, single and childless. i could work anytime, even though I preferred a regular shift. Flexibility earned me favor with supervisors and management.

you cannot take angry people personally - one of the reasons call centers have high turnover is that people can be nasty. and some people can't take that. most of the time the customers i handled had a problem/issue. the perfectly happy people just didn't have a reason to call. Some were reasonable from the start, others were not. but, regardless, i was not the source of their frustration. i was there to help them. it was important to me to get the caller to see me as an ally and not an enemy.

words can matter - i have listened to hundreds, if not thousands, of recorded calls. And there are times when calls go bad and a customer leaves angry. most of the time (not all) the representative created, or instigated the bad experience with poor word choice.

most of the calls you take will be nice, normal, friendly people - but people love to tell stories about the mean ones.

is that along the lines of what you are looking for? call centers have always been good to me. I have had a variety of roles in there, and it proved to be a decent career move in the long run. you can either go in everyday and do your job and that's it, or you can - if you want - turn it into a supervisor, manager, trainer role and do more.
  • mcshoelovin22
    mcshoelovin22 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hold the mute button and curse them back!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't work in a Call Center, but from the people who do: most of the time when people are angry, it's not you and it might not even be the situation they're calling about. If you can let them blow off steam and then competently handle what they're calling about, you can end up their best friend.
  • palmeida88
    Options
    Stressful, just dont let the borrowers get to you and you will be fine