Making the gym more interesting to me...

Options
I have a love hate relationship with the gym.........

I constantly talk myself into not going and make excuses in my mind... even tho once I have been I feel 100 times better for going and feel full of energy!

Would any of you reccommend any good fitness plans for the gym?

Like how many minutes to do on what machine and how many miles to run or how many calories to burn?

Just to start me off and to make me feel like I want to complete this plan.......

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    There are a number of good resources out there. The two I use most frequently are nerdfitness.com, which has a lot of good beginner workout information, and jefit.com, which has a good workout app that lets you find workouts that work for you (they have lots of beginner workouts) that you can download to your phone and keep track of what you do. As a general rule, resistance training is essential for weight loss. Do low weight and high reps with short rests between sets to maximize fat burn.
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    On days i don't want to go to the gym I bring something to read that I can get lost in and set whatever machine on for either 45 min or 600 cals depending how much time i want to spend at the gym. Before you know it the time is up. I did this all week and burned between 400-600 cals on the elipitical. hope this helps
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would ask to speak with a personal trainer and have them set you up on a plan. It may cost some money, but it will be much easier for someone to help you who can see you, evaluate your goals and diet with you and also be in the gym to help you as you go along. Even after you get a workout written down it will be easy to get "comfortable" with it and eventually lose interest. It will be important to learn variations to moves and to challenge your body. The feeling you get when you do go to the gym (that you described) will only be enhanced as you see changes in your body.

If you do not want to use a trainer then as has been noted research on the Internet beginner fitness plans. Just make sure that each move you do is done properly (something that a trainer would ensure) and that you know how to use each machine ahead of time. Nothing is worse than an injury in the gym as you begin a new fitness program. Depending on your goal(s) (i.e. weight loss, gaining strengh etc.) you will need to choose different movements and times.

As far as calories to burn during cardio, that will be somewhat dictated by the results you see when you start your plan. If you are losing weight by doing for example 3 cardio sessions per week then keep it up. If you are not, then either add more time, an extra session of cardio or look closer at your diet.

Regardless of your decision, good luck and GET TO THE GYM! :smile:
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    So here's my routine ... and it works for me.

3x weekday, 2x weekend:

Day 1:
    10 min stretch
    5 min cardio warm-up (usually stationary bike)
    3 sets of 10 reps for chest
    3 sets of 10 reps for biceps
    3 sets of 10 reps for chest (different exercise)
    3 sets of 10 reps for biceps (different exercise)
    30 minute jog (usually 3 miles)
    5 min cool down

Day 2: (REST)

Day 3:
    10 min stretch
    3 sets of 10 reps for shoulders
    3 sets of 10 reps for back
    3 sets of 10 reps for shoulders (different exercise)
    3 sets of 10 reps for back (different exercise)
    5 min cool down

Day 4: (REST)

Day 5:
    10 min stretch
    3 sets of 10 reps for triceps
    3 sets of 10 reps for triceps (different exercise)
    5 min cool down

Day 6: All Strength Day

Day 7: Interval Cardio
    30 min intervals (on treadmill since it's freezing outside)
    10 min jogging
    5 min cool down

I realize we're all different and we need to find what works for us individually. I almost always have headphones on listening to some Jake Reno :)

Let me know how it goes for you.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    What do you like to do? Start there. If I went to the gym, I'd start with the elliptical, then hit the free weights. For a beginner, I'd suggest a full body routine, 3x a week at a weight that fatigues you in 8-12 reps. Squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench and bent over rows are great. The other two days, more elliptical or treadmill at your own pace, or find a class you love. Many gyms have a variety of classes, especially for cardio.
  • Fit4Ibiza
    Options
    On days i don't want to go to the gym I bring something to read that I can get lost in and set whatever machine on for either 45 min or 600 cals depending how much time i want to spend at the gym. Before you know it the time is up. I did this all week and burned between 400-600 cals on the elipitical. hope this helps

Oooooh good thinking!
  • Fit4Ibiza
    Options
    So here's my routine ... and it works for me.

3x weekday, 2x weekend:

Day 1:
    10 min stretch
    5 min cool down

Day 2: (REST)

Day 3:
    10 min stretch
    5 min cool down

Day 4: (REST)

Day 5:
    10 min stretch
    5 min cool down

Day 6: All Strength Day

Day 7: Interval Cardio
    30 min intervals (on treadmill since it's freezing outside)
    10 min jogging
    5 min cool down

I realize we're all different and we need to find what works for us individually. I almost always have headphones on listening to some Jake Reno :)

Let me know how it goes for you.

Printed this out at work :)

I am excited to try this for a week... let's see how I go!
  • Fit4Ibiza
    Options
    What do you like to do? Start there. If I went to the gym, I'd start with the elliptical, then hit the free weights. For a beginner, I'd suggest a full body routine, 3x a week at a weight that fatigues you in 8-12 reps. Squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bench and bent over rows are great. The other two days, more elliptical or treadmill at your own pace, or find a class you love. Many gyms have a variety of classes, especially for cardio.

I love spinning but feel a bit too big and self concious at the min to do a class
  • Fit4Ibiza
    Options
    There are a number of good resources out there. The two I use most frequently are nerdfitness.com, which has a lot of good beginner workout information, and jefit.com, which has a good workout app that lets you find workouts that work for you (they have lots of beginner workouts) that you can download to your phone and keep track of what you do. As a general rule, resistance training is essential for weight loss. Do low weight and high reps with short rests between sets to maximize fat burn.

thank you
  • Fit4Ibiza
    Options
    If I were you I would ask to speak with a personal trainer and have them set you up on a plan. It may cost some money, but it will be much easier for someone to help you who can see you, evaluate your goals and diet with you and also be in the gym to help you as you go along. Even after you get a workout written down it will be easy to get "comfortable" with it and eventually lose interest. It will be important to learn variations to moves and to challenge your body. The feeling you get when you do go to the gym (that you described) will only be enhanced as you see changes in your body.

If you do not want to use a trainer then as has been noted research on the Internet beginner fitness plans. Just make sure that each move you do is done properly (something that a trainer would ensure) and that you know how to use each machine ahead of time. Nothing is worse than an injury in the gym as you begin a new fitness program. Depending on your goal(s) (i.e. weight loss, gaining strengh etc.) you will need to choose different movements and times.

As far as calories to burn during cardio, that will be somewhat dictated by the results you see when you start your plan. If you are losing weight by doing for example 3 cardio sessions per week then keep it up. If you are not, then either add more time, an extra session of cardio or look closer at your diet.

Regardless of your decision, good luck and GET TO THE GYM! :smile:

oooooooo thank you :smile:

gonna get on google and print out some 'beginners work-outs'