New... and kind of clueless.

Options
I'm new to myfitnesspal.com, but it seems to be a pretty cool site. I like how practically everything I eat is in the log. I've never had to struggle with my weight before, but the past year I have been working full time, going to school full time, and raising a little one. My diet has gotten all out of whack. I didn't realize how bad it had gotten until I saw pictures of myself... It was not a pretty sight. I am about 15-20 lbs heavier than when I gave birth, so it is a little discouraging. I am looking for a weight loss of about 40 lbs. I'd love for it all to fall of instantly, but know that won't happen and just need encouragement and support to get me through this weight loss. To have more of a realistic goal (I think) I would like to lose it within 9 month-year. Is that realistic? I'm kind of new to this who weightloss thing... Any help or support is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• mhannan13
    mhannan13 Posts: 53
    Options
    Well good for you for taking charge. Losing between .5-2 lbs a week is usually a good target, depending on how strict you are. I can't even imagine how busy you must be but I admire you for your hard work. I'm not an expert, but I would say 9 months to a year is a very realistic goal! Good luck! :)
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would aim for somewhere like 5-8 pounds a month. Stress can work against weight loss too. So make sure you have some 'me' time. I know this is much easier said than done. But if you start with 30 min a week and work up to 1-2 hours for yourself it will go along way to help you with every thing. maybe the easiest me time would be walking for now and then add other items of interest as time and scheduling allows. Best of luck with everything.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You've made the right choice coming here! This site is amazing in both helping one track their diet and the support from the forums. The journey may not be fun, some days it will down right suck, but remember-- every day is just a snap shot in the giant scrapbook of your journey. Take joy in the journey. Small changes make big differences!
    Welcome to MFP!
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You sound like a very busy person. I would say that is realistic they say a pound a week and if my calculations are right there are 54 weeks in a year. Fell free to add me as friend if you would like and we can help each other.:smile:
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    geri1geraldinesuzanne Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    welcome to mfp.
    i've been login in for a month and i've lost 8lbs, according to mfp friends thats perfect, i suppose it depends on your life style and if you exersise or not.
    either way keep with it and you'll soon see a change.

good luck!
    :bigsmile:
  • jlo7
    jlo7 Posts: 45
    Options
    Welcome! I love this site because you can get support almost instantly. Whenever I have a question or problem, someone seems to reply immediately! I try to do the same for others too. I believe it will work for you if you really want it. Good Luck!
  • RebeccaAnne219
    RebeccaAnne219 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Luckily I have finished school now (YEA ME!) and it's just work and little one. He's almost 4, so very active and I don't have the energy to keep up (which is very unlike the me of a year ago). BUT, hopefully with some help and determination I will be able to do it!
  • nahhan12
    nahhan12 Posts: 79
    Options
    About your goal-
    I've always looked at weight loss like this: You shouldn't be losing weight faster than you gained it, because gaining weight is a LOT easier than losing it! So...of your 15-20 pounds crept up on you over the past 6 months or so, then a long term weight goal like 9 months seems very appropriate. Slower weight loss tends to last longer too. Go for it!