WHAT THE EFFF????????

Options
I am only four weeks in and I started at 400 pounds. I have overhauled my eating like you wouldn't believe. I stuck to my calorie goal and ate sooooo good this week and didn't lose a damn thing. I'm so frustrated!!! I shouldn't be not losing anything this early in. WHAT THE EFFF??!????

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I am only four weeks in and I started at 400 pounds. I have overhauled my eating like you wouldn't believe. I stuck to my calorie goal and ate sooooo good this week and didn't lose a damn thing. I'm so frustrated!!! I shouldn't be not losing anything this early in. WHAT THE EFFF??!????

It happens. Weight loss is never linear. There will be weeks you lose more, weeks you lose less, weeks you don't lose at all, and even weeks you might see an increase on the scale. That's normal. The scale is a fickle beast and there's many, many factors that contribute to that number. Hormones, sodium, exercise, even needing to make a big poo can make the scale show a higher number.

You still lost 9 pounds in four weeks and that's frickin' amazing!
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary. I didn't see any exercise logged.

I also saw, McDonald's, Red Lobster, Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen and Papa Johns etc....... I eat that *kitten* too, maybe once a week and even then I am way under my caloric goal because I worked out. Also, and this is just my opinion and many may disagree but you have to kick that Diet Coke habit.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    phuck the scale and those stupid numbers. How do you look in the mirror?????
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

It happens. Weight loss is never linear. There will be weeks you lose more, weeks you lose less, weeks you don't lose at all, and even weeks you might see an increase on the scale. That's normal. The scale is a fickle beast and there's many, many factors that contribute to that number. Hormones, sodium, exercise, even needing to make a big poo can make the scale show a higher number.

You still lost 9 pounds in four weeks and that's frickin' amazing!

^This!

You can't expect "Biggest Loser" numbers in real life. Weight loss just doesn't work that way.

Keep going and you'll get there. It may be frustrating that it's taking longer than you would like, but as long as you stick with it, you will reach your goal.
  • Sexyf28
    Sexyf28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yeah I haven't excercised yet. Honestly I wanted to lose a little before I do anything with excercise. Just changing my eating should work for a bit.

I don't feel or see a difference so that's frustrating too. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to give up but I'm just trustrated. I hate trying really hard for something and not seeing it work out. :(
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Your story is very typical of individuals that attempt to cut calories far too steeply thus not providing their body with sufficient energy to continue to function. Your body is holding on to everything it possibly can right now because it is not getting adequate resources from you.

I would highly suggest you check out the road map post. Find your TDEE and BMR, don't fall into the trap of trying to live on so few calories when your body needs more. At age 38 and 400 lbs you need MINIMUM 2500 calories just to get out of bed! (it goes up if you are taller then 5 feet)

READ http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Your average is still over 2 lbs. a week! Keep up the great work!

Looking at your diary, I would suggest you replace some of the processed foods with fresh foods, especially add in veggies. Instead of Kraft singles, get some real cheese. You are choosing pretty well within those processed foods, but they still have a ton of salt and plenty of added sugar, both of which can throw off the readings on the scale when they are your main source of nutrition.
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm having a similar struggle with the scale, although I'm at a different starting weight. I suggest working up your fiber and bringing down the sodium. You won't have to change your calories, but you'd be eating more fresh foods and frozen vegetables. I can't guarantee results, but it's worth a try.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    First, your diary is ALL over the place:

With a lot of take out food- which can be astronomically high in sodium and the portions are notoriously off from published calorie counts. I also don't see much in the way of precise measurement. I would suggest getting a home digital scale, log EVERY bite you eat from here forward, and try to plan to keep a more consistent calorie target rather than the low-high swings. You don't have to eliminate take-out, but maybe aim for more home-prepared food, if you can, for a while to get a handle on your calories and sodium. Good luck to you! Don't give up, you WILL get there, sometimes it just takes some patience to figure it out.

Edit for epic full paragraph run-on sentence.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I can imagine with the excess weight you feel you have to lose you expect a see a big drop accordingly. Many many factors are involved irregardless of start weight. True when you have alot to lose you can see big drops...but it is all defendant on what you eat, how much you eat and what exercise you do. If no exercise..the amount loss will show accordingly...same as for what you eat and amount will show on the scales. It is a balancing act to learn during the journey as to what works for you personally.
  • Sexyf28
    Sexyf28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    First, your diary is ALL over the place:

With a lot of take out food- which can be astronomically high in sodium and the portions are notoriously off from published calorie counts. I also don't see much in the way of precise measurement. I would suggest getting a home digital scale, log EVERY bite you eat from here forward, and try to plan to keep a more consistent calorie target rather than the low-high swings, and you don't have to eliminate take-out, but maybe aim for more home-prepared food, if you can, for a while to get a handle on your calories and sodium. Good luck to you! Don't give up, you WILL get there, sometimes it just takes some patience to figure it out.

This is exactly whaty I was going to say. Your diary is terrible. If it's accurate then that's bad news and you really need to rethink your eating habits.

Work on getting more vegetables and fruits in there. I see a banana for breakfast then nothing but dairy and SIMPLE carbs most days. Eat breakfast. A banana won't cut it.

Also, I understand that you do not want to exercise just yet. But, just walk. Even walking inside your home. Or cleaning. Or doing some high knees, lunges, or just standing up while using the computer at home or watching tv will help you and it is not high impact or high intensity. It's a nice slow start.

You got this, don't freak out!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Get moving and eat less crap. Don't wait till you've lost weight to start exercising. Exercise now to lose weight.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Your story is very typical of individuals that attempt to cut calories far too steeply thus not providing their body with sufficient energy to continue to function. Your body is holding on to everything it possibly can right now because it is not getting adequate resources from you.

I would highly suggest you check out the road map post. Find your TDEE and BMR, don't fall into the trap of trying to live on so few calories when your body needs more. At age 38 and 400 lbs you need MINIMUM 2500 calories just to get out of bed! (it goes up if you are taller then 5 feet)

READ http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I thought the same thing when I saw your caloric goals - they are the same as mine and I weigh 125, and you often eat less than 1200 calories in a day. Do the calculations as suggested and give it another 4 weeks - I bet you will be happy with your results!
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You didn't get to 400lbs in four weeks and therefor you won't strip it off in four weeks either. Now look at your food, all the take out and dining out is loaded with fat and sodium, two culprits for weight and water retention. Stop looking at just your calories for the day and start paying attention to the FAT/CARBS/& Sodium you are waaaaaaaaay into the red with pretty much every day.
    Next, get in the gym, you want the secret to weight loss that works 100% of the time? It's diet AND exercise. At 400lbs I'm guessing you probably have not worked out before so no matter what gym you walk into make sure you opt for a trainer/employee to walk you through a few exercises. When you do strike out on your own you will no doubt use the machines, the answer here is READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. People have a bad habit of rolling in to gym and over do it as well as do it wrong, both will result in injury so don't do it.

Good luck !
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    it all takes time, there are so many ups and downs...
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Some great info has already been put out there so I won't attempt to add to what others have said about nutrition. I will, however, add that if you have not already done so you NEED to take pictures and get a measuring tape and measure your body; do this at least once a month. This will be a better indication of weight loss for you.

Example: I have not lost any weight since December 1, 2012. In fact I've been gaining and losing the same 3lbs over and over. That is frustrating. But, I have lost over 8 inches off of my body as well as I have gone down another pant size during that same time period.

The scale is a dirty liar don't trust it!!!!! Best wishes to you.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Your salt is typically off the charts. Well, except on the days you're logging less than 1,000 cals. While salt won't affect fat, it will keep fluid on people. Start eating REAL food. Learn to cook. It'll help a lot.
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    Options
    Try cutting the sugars a bit. I would do meats and veggies and fruits only for a few weeks and them slowly bring in grains...
  • ricklperry
    Options
    I lost zero pounds all of month 2 as well. losing again now though.