Got a HRM- Now What?

Options
I received a HRM for Christmas and I have been using it faithfully. My maximum HR is 182 and my resting HR is 54. After collecting this information for the past 6 weeks I have come to the realization that I have no clue what I am suppose to be doing with the data. How am I suppose to be improving my runs? What is the data telling me? I have tried to look on line for some info but all I get is to run in certain % ranges. Why? I am probably making things way to complicated and looking for a lot more concrete answers then there is but it just isn't clicking for me. Why do I want or need a HRM?

Replies

• glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I use mine to calculate my calories burned during my runs. That tells me what I can eat for the day.
  • 0yarsa
    Options
    Covert Bailey, exercise physiologist and author of Fit or Fat - recommends the use of HRM to make sure you are working out at the right level of exertion. http://www.mindspring.com/~ronstein/Articles2/Target Heart Rate.htm

If the goal is to become more fit, by making your body a "better butter burner" (which in effect increases the number of mitrochondria in your muscles cells) ... You should work out in the aerobic zone... One of the benefits of becoming more fit is you will be able to,exercise at a higher level of intensity but your heart rate will stay lower. however, there are many, many benefits. Also, the HRM will show you that as you become more fit, it will take more effort to work out in that aerobic zone.

I really liked the way he explains the benefit in detail in his book smart exercise, http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Exercise-Burning-Fat-Getting/dp/0395661145

If you understand what you are working towards - it helps with motivation.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am SO going to need to read the comments on this one...
  • jdsgigi
    jdsgigi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    me too. .
  • 0yarsa
    Options
    True, but don't be a smart a** or people won't feel free to comment.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM, i used it to ensure I have my heart rate up while I'm working out, If i see it dropping a lot due to rest, I do jumping jacks to spike it. I also use it to track calories burnt to enter on here
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Different HR zones do different things...it's important to have zone goals for your workouts in order to avoid over training or under training.

I workout in the Aerobic zone 3x weekly for 30 minutes....3x weekly in the Energy Efficient/Recovery zone for 30-45 minutes. I do 3x weekly anaerobic weight lifting. Here are a couple of good links:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm

http://sock-doc.com/2011/03/aerobic-or-anaerobic/

A lot of people, once they start really paying attention to the HR zones they are working in realize they are/have been over training and over stressing their bodies.
  • linnettbenson
    linnettbenson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone.
    This has definitely cleared things up some. The links have also been great. I will be refering back to them alot in the near future, I am sure.
    My main purpose of getting the HRM was to improve my running performance. I use a fitbit to do the keep a check on my calories. I will say, they match the moniter real close (and it is nice to know that too).
  • jdsgigi
    jdsgigi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this helped answer questions I had as well.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've had my Zephyr HxM for quite a while now, Until recently, I was only using it to count calories more accurately for me during my workouts. Just recently, I've decided to use it to keep my heart rate in a desired zone... I've discovered myself "redlining" way too much, I've actually needed to slow down a bit. I don't know if I was doing any damage, but running at the red line level isn't the optimal way of training for distance.

In-short, my HRM is helping me to slow down a bit.