Irritated.....

Options
kenlc
kenlc Posts: 11 Member
A couple days ago I was talking to a friend about my weight loss and exercise routine. Their comment was "I wish I had the time to work out like you do". This really irritated me as I have to make time for my workouts. I go to the gym @ 4:30 AM 3 days a week and on my lunch hour 3 days a week and on weekends I either go to the gym or ride my bike, but I had to make changes in my lifestyle to fit this in. No matter what your situation is, you can make time for yourself, even if it means giving up something else.

Replies

• GreenieBean
    GreenieBean Posts: 64
    Options
    Agreed. Very well said!
  • mordantbrenda
    Options
    You can't put yourself in another person's life and "assume" anything. Just be glad you've been able to "make time" in your own schedule and have also found the drive and determination to achieve your goals and skip the misplaced irritation. Surely you can be proud of yourself without being so judgmental of others. Congratulations on your hard work. Hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor.
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Options
    I agree. I used to say the same thing until I was forced to do a time management assignment for school. I quickly realized I had plenty of time, I just let it fritter away. That was the end of that excuse!!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,749 Member
    Options
    A couple days ago I was talking to a friend about my weight loss and exercise routine. Their comment was "I wish I had the time to work out like you do". This really irritated me as I have to make time for my workouts. I go to the gym @ 4:30 AM 3 days a week and on my lunch hour 3 days a week and on weekends I either go to the gym or ride my bike, but I had to make changes in my lifestyle to fit this in. No matter what your situation is, you can make time for yourself, even if it means giving up something else.
    That reminds me of my two sisters-in-law commenting on how much weight I've lost and they blaming their extra weight on stress. Excuse me? Because I have no stress? Riiiight.
  • Thinwithin2010
    Thinwithin2010 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have gotten that for years because i'm a stay at home mom. But I do without things as to be home and raise my girls!! Nobody looks at what you give up they are just jealous! Keep up the great work! It is now my time to do for me also!!
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Wow am I ever IMPRESSED with you! What amazing will power. You are so right you do have to make time for yourself and you do need to make your own health a priority. But as I have learned, having been at the bottom and in denial myself, you can come up with all kinds of excuses and reasons not to do what you need to do. The best you can hope for is that you will inspire them to get motivated and take care of themselves. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
  • mhouberg
    mhouberg Posts: 18
    Options
    This irritates me too. I had a coworker say that to me. I'm not able to make time every day, but most days I choose my 20 minute Jillian Michaels over watching one more t.v. show that don't need to watch.
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I get the same comments .... and yes, it feels irritating.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    I am constantly reminding my class (I am a fitness instuctor) that it is so important to have the proper frame of mind when it comes to exercising. Taking care of your body is a priority just like taking care of your teeth. You would never (or hopefully never) just skip brushing your teeth because it takes up too much time or it isn't fun. There are so many creative ways to get the heart pumping. Kudos to you for making the time to keep yourself healthy :drinker:
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    This irritates me too. I had a coworker say that to me. I'm not able to make time every day, but most days I choose my 20 minute Jillian Michaels over watching one more t.v. show that don't need to watch.

That's sad that that's the biggest problem with a lot of people, prioritizing. So many people say they don't have time, but it's because they're not willing to substitute exercise for an unnecessary activity like watching tv. I was talking to a friend of mine, though, about this very topic and he said that many people are not ready to make the step and therefore make excuses as to why they can't do it. People have to have an epiphany type realiztion about themselves and their health before they can really be ready to make those permanent changes in their own lives. Until they do, they will always say everyone else has more time, less stress, better metabolism, whatever, to make the fact that they aren't making healthy choices in their life more justafiable to themselves. You just made the realizatin sooner, and maybe your progress and success can be an inspiration to those you care about
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    Well next time say this: "Make time for excercise now or be ready to make time for illness later!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    someone once commented that if I had time to play on the computer for 2 hours every day, he didn't want to hear me complain I had no time to exercise.

I think of him when I close the case and go for a walk!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You can't put yourself in another person's life and "assume" anything. Just be glad you've been able to "make time" in your own schedule and have also found the drive and determination to achieve your goals and skip the misplaced irritation. Surely you can be proud of yourself without being so judgmental of others. Congratulations on your hard work. Hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor.

wow............1st post. Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou: