Water...

Options
Okay, so I know I'm supposed to get my 8 glasses of water in per day, which I do...with the help of yummy herbal tea at night. What I'm not sure of is whether it's referring to 8 8 oz glasses of water a day or 8 16 oz bottles. Anyone have any insight? I've also heard that we should be drinking the equivalent number of ounces to 1/2 of our body weight (150 lbs = 75 oz of water per day). Help?!?!

Replies

• kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I know I'm supposed to get my 8 glasses of water in per day, which I do...with the help of yummy herbal tea at night. What I'm not sure of is whether it's referring to 8 8 oz glasses of water a day or 8 16 oz bottles. Anyone have any insight? I've also heard that we should be drinking the equivalent number of ounces to 1/2 of our body weight (150 lbs = 75 oz of water per day). Help?!?!
  • jdaniels
    Options
    Geez if that were true I would drowned. LOL
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I am trying to drink 1/2 my weight a day if not more. I drink 2-2.5 2 liter bottle when working out. I alway drink out of the 2 liter bottle to help me keep track. On average I drink 10 liters a day. I live in the bathroom. Especially at the gym.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! 10 liters a day?! Ugh. I know I get in at least 64-80 oz minimum per day. I sure hope that's enough...though, unfortunately, 80 isn't even close to 1/2 of my body weight. :angry: :mad: :grumble:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to figure out your water intake is to divide your weight in half. Keep in mind that your daily food may contain some of the water you need, like yogurt, milk, herbal tea is ok, fruits and veggies, you get the idea. I drink about 4 24 ounce bottles of water per day, and in the summer I drink around 6 (you have to make adjustments for climate, exercise etc).

If you are just starting the whole water thing you may have to do baby steps. I started by drinking a glass of water as soon as I got up because we generally wake up already dehydrated. I added kool aid singles at first, and then I added less and less of the single until it was only water. I love lemonade but lemons are a natural dieuretic so that kind of defeats the purpose!

The nice thing is as we loose some of our butt we get to loose some of the water too!!!
  • grvchk
    Options
    I believe it is 8- 12 oz glasses per day.
  • alymarest
    Options
    just be carefull not to drink too much water because you can get water poisoning and it's deadly.
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I've read that it's not necessary for anybody to drink enough water to equal half their weight. On the food journal page, the water glass says cups. I think it means 8 8oz.(1 cup) glasses.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    I've read that it's not necessary for anybody to drink enough water to equal half their weight. On the food journal page, the water glass says cups. I think it means 8 8oz.(1 cup) glasses.

I agree, the mfp suggestion is 8 cups or 8-eight oz glasses. My doctor warned me that too much water CAN cause you to have a sodium deficiency....though I had never heard that before. But - what is "too much water...."?

:ohwell:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    HI Cheryl,

I was actually just talking to my naturopath about water, so here's the "alternative" medicine take.

I drink a lot of water...over a gallon at least...a day.

But, I'm clinically dehydrated, and have neurocardiogenic syncope (big fancy words for "I faint") My naturo said that our bodies can only absorb so much water at a time, otherwise it's just pushed out (with the salt) in your urine. The trick is to sip the water slowly (I'm a gulper) and include it in your food. (fruits/veg)

I still drink the same amount, but try to remember to sip some. Now that the winter dryness has hit, I'm trying to sip a little more.
  • playinwfire
    Options
    2 liter of whater must be enough or 8 glasses! unless you work out you can go over!

That's what the doctor suggested:drinker:

I don't wanna live in the bathroom it's hard enough when you get stuck in traffic and you need a bathroom right away:angry: oufff the longest drive ever!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    Hm. Thx V. Good to know.