If your primary motivation is "done" and you kept going...

Options
I'll start by saying I'm not hurting in the motivation department; I'm doing my thing just like I have been. But my primary driving motivation is gone (which is actually a very good thing). So for those that were primarily motivated by something that no longer exists (or has already happened-like a wedding or vacation/trip), AND kept going with their healthy lifestyle/weight loss plans, was there a mental/emotional shift of some sort? Did you find that you had to eventually replace that motivator with something else? Or did you just keep on keeping on because it had become habit?

I am doing my thing and not needing "cheerleading" at the moment, I'm just finding something of a hole in my brain where the emotions and sentiments that were my primary motivation existed. I'm just wondering if others have found that the "hole" closed up on its own, or if they found that they eventually needed something to fill that space.

Hope that makes sense to someone.

Replies

• MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your question, or better, I feel that I am always motivated by something: today is a 5K, tomorrow will be a half-marathon, one day will be my dream wedding, the year after it will be the summer vacation I've been planning for so long... I don't think that there has to be a specific reason in order to stay motivated but, at the same time, I fell there will always be one, at least for me. With that said, I decided to answer to your post because you wrote that your primary driving motivation is gone... If that driving motivation was what I am thinking it was, I truly couldn't be happier for you!
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had a shift around 75 lbs (which wasn't that long ago) where my goal to lose weight shifted to become toned and tightened and healthy. Now I lift heavier and eat almost completely clean. I'm trying these things to see if I can reach a new goal of being toned and really fit looking.

I hope this helps some!
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My primary goal when joining MFP was to lose weight. Since reaching target weight I've set other goals in place to fill the void, these mostly involve improving fitness and strength. I need a goal or reason to keep going otherwise I'd probably slack off and lose my way :)